The Yùcatan is a not indifferent tourist attraction for lovers of Latin America. Crystal clear water, fine sand and a centuries-old history are the main elements that make this peninsula a true natural paradise, but also a destination not to be missed for history buffs. If we have made you want to know a little more about the Yùcatan peninsula, stay with us to find out more.
- Travel informed: useful information
- Where it is
- When to go? Info on climate and best time
- 10 things to see: beaches and places of interest
- Recommended tours and excursions
- How much does a holiday in the Yucatan cost? Prices, offers and advice
- User questions and comments
Travel informed: useful information
- Inhabitants: 1.955.577
- Capital: Mérida
- Languages: Spanish, English
- Local currency: Mexican peso (€ 1,00 = 21,68 local currency)
- Weather tropical climate, with average temperatures of 25-27 °
- vaccinations: no compulsory vaccination, but vaccination against hepatitis A, B, salmonella and measles is preferable
- Entry requirements: passport with residual validity of at least 6 months. Entry visa required only for stays longer than 90 days.
- Travel / health insurance: recommended.
Where it is
The Yùcatan peninsula, located in Central America, it is the westernmost area of the state of Mexico, of which it is part. On this peninsula, which rises to the east of the Tehuantepec Isthmus, in the south-east of Mexico, are the states of Yùcatan, Campeche and Quintana Roo. Also here are also northern Belize and the Guatemala department of El Petèn.
How to reach us
- From the main European capitals: Paris is connected to Cancun with direct flight routes lasting about 10h thanks to AirFrance. There are also flights with a stopover in Frankfurt am Main or London Gatwick, in these cases the duration of the flight is from 13 to 14 hours.
When to go? Info on climate and best time
- Weather: tropical, characterized by three different seasons, a hot and rainy one that goes from June to October, a colder one that goes from November to February and a warmer period from March to May.
- Best time: from December to February, when heat and humidity are at their lowest.
- Period to avoid: the month of November, when hurricanes reach their peak.
- Advice: the best way to get around the Yùcatan peninsula is to rent a car as connections between the various areas are not served by the train. The distances are in fact extended, but not too much. A 300 km drive from Merida to Cancun for example can be done in 3,5 hours. The 82 km that separate Merida from Uxmal, on the other hand, can be covered in just over 1 hour.
10 things to see: beaches and places of interest
- Cancun: it is the most touristic among the destinations. Famous for its wild nightlife, it has a crystalline sea and fine sand, on which skyscrapers and tourist buildings stand out - more info on what to see in Cancun.
- Valladolid: inhabited mainly by Mayan populations, Valladolid preserves all its traditions intact. Worth seeing is its historic center, which represents the classic Mexican town, with narrow alleys and bright colors.
- Chichen Itza: it is one of the most important Mayan testimonies of the Yucatan. Declared a World Heritage Site in 1988, it is made up of various testimonies ranging from the th to the th century, including the pyramid of Kukulkan, known as El Castillo, the astronomical observatory and the temple of the warriors - more info on what to see and how to get to Chichen Itza.
- Jumpsuit: still on the subject of Mayan testimonies, Tulum is one of the most spectacular buildings in the Yucatan. Built overlooking the sea in the thirteenth century, thanks to its position it was the first building seen by Spagoli in 1517. Tulum is so famous that it also appeared in the video game Assassin's Creed: Black Flag - more info on what to see in Tulum
- Holbox Island: hit in 2005 by Hurricane Wilma, this island is located within a nature reserve. It is one of the favorite destinations for bird watchers thanks to the 150 species of birds that live there. Here you will also find several specimens of whale sharks and numerous other animal species.
- Rio Secreto: located in the Playa del Carmen area, it is an underground river characterized by emerald green waters in which you can also immerse yourself, completed by an intricate system of caves, with rock formations from 50 million years ago.
- Musa: Il Musa is the underwater art museum. It is a real underwater museum where the works of art are found on the seabed. The protagonists of this museum are the hundreds of life-size figures created by the artist Jason de Caires Taylor. If you want to visit it, you just have to dive in.
- Cozumel: this small island is a paradise for diving enthusiasts, thanks to the presence of coral reefs and transparent waters to say the least. The beauty of this place can already be understood from its name, which literally means "island of the swallows".
- Uxmal: these ruins, which have become Unesco heritage, are one of the most important places in the Yucatan. Here is the Soothsayer's Pyramid, 30 meters high and made up of 5 building layers, the first of which dates back to 569 AD. Of particular interest is the pelota playing field, an activity that we could define as the ancestor of modern football. .
- Merida: is the cultural capital of Yucatan. Here elegant architecture and the typical nightlife of these areas, among which the noche mexicana stands out, blend perfectly, between museums and avant-garde. Founded by a Spaniard in 1545, the city stands on the ruins of an important Mayan center already uninhabited at the time.
Recommended tours and excursions
How much does a holiday in the Yucatan cost? Prices, offers and advice
Prices in the Yucatan they are not particularly high. Obviously choosing more touristic places like Cancun involves an increase in the price of the services offered, but on average they are quite low. Just think that a lunch at a restaurant costs an average of € 8,00.
- Hotel and b & b starting from € 24,00 per room -
- starting from € 94,00 -
- Return flight + stay 10 days / 9 nights in 3-star hotel or b & b starting from € 428,00 -