Sun, heat, holidays from work ... how to take advantage of the month of July for a nice holiday in Italy, anticipating the typical August overcrowding period? Our peninsula offers a wide choice, between sea, mountains and cities of art: here is a guide with 10 ideal destinations that can help you choose the best where to spend your July holiday.
Post COVID19 travel advice
If you are planning a trip, make sure you are in line with safety measures. Follow government guidelines and only return to travel when the green light is given. Prefer natural and perhaps non-mass destinations, and in general promote local tourism: discover the wonders of your city, your region and your state. Try to avoid long-haul travel and at most choose destinations reachable with a few hours of flight.
1 - Salento, Puglia
Puglia is recognized as among the most beautiful regions of Italy: it offers a wide variety of views, from the sea to the hinterland, as well as cities of art and many charming and characteristic places, all accompanied by good food, an excellent high quality virgin.
In particular, Salento is a very popular destination for tourists: do not miss a swim at caves of Santa Maria di Leuca, in Baia dell'Orte, and in the other Salento beaches; treat yourself to a relaxing walking tour in the "White City" of Ostuni; finally do not forget to visit the splendid Lecce, taking advantage of one of the many guided tours to discover the Duomo and the Roman Amphitheater.
Organize your trip to Salento: info and useful tips
- Ideal for: young people, couples and tourists in general looking for beach life and nightlife
- Hotel and b & b starting from € 60,00 per room -
- Lecce: tour in the Florence of Southern Italy Ostuni: walking tour
2 - Cinque Terre, Liguria
The Cinque Terre in Liguria they are a UNESCO World Heritage Site: impossible not to go there at least once in your life, even if it is not a low cost destination. From the evocative views to the most important attractions, the Cinque Terre are one of the unmissable destinations in July, ideal for a romantic weekend. Our advice is to stay in Monterosso a Mare and from there take the monorail train to go to other splendid locations. in addition to Monterosso, the other four villages that make up the area are Vernazza, Corniglia, Manarola and Riomaggiore.
As already mentioned, the costs are quite expensive, therefore we recommend the purchase of the Cinque Terre Card, a service card that offers discounts for train travel from one municipality to another and for access to trekking routes.
Another highly recommended way to visit the Cinque Terre is by sea, perhaps taking advantage of a kayak tour departing from Monterosso (perfect for sports enthusiasts) or a sunset boat tour (more suitable for romantic visitors).
Plan your trip to the Cinque Terre: info and useful tips
- Ideal for: couples, is a rather romantic destination
- Hotel and b & b starting from € 75,00 per room -
- Cinque Terre: kayak tour from Monterosso Cinque Terre: sunset boat tour
3 - Levico Terme, Trentino Alto Adige
Levico Terme is a city with famous spas, surrounded by enchanting mountains and perfect for admiring some of the places to visit in Trentino Alto Adige. Inevitable one relaxing walk on Lake Levico or on the nearby lake of Caldonazzo.
There are many possible excursions: for example, the splendid itinerary that goes from the Baths to the San Biagio Church. Levico, as well as for the possibility of using the spa, it is an ideal destination for the whole family and especially for those who want to do sports: between mountain biking, road biking, walking, hiking, trekking, horse riding, water sports, free flight, tennis and fishing ... you will be spoiled for choice.
Plan your trip to Levico Terme: info and useful tips
- Ideal for: families, young people, sports lovers
- Hotel and b & b starting from € 70,00 per room -
4 - Porto Rotondo, Sardinia
The northern area of Sardinia is equipped with a large number of hotels that overlook the splendid Sardinian sea: Porto Rotondo but also Cala di Volpe, Porto Cervo, Baia Sardinia and Palau are very popular destinations, and in July you can still avoid the prices that with August they experience the typical surge.
Finally, the neighbor is not to be missed national park of the Maddalena archipelago, reachable by sea through a highly recommended boat tour, thanks to which you can admire some of the most beautiful beaches in Sardinia.
Plan your trip to Porto Rotondo: info and useful tips
- Ideal for: families, couples, young people and in general anyone who wants to live on the beach
- Hotel and b & b starting from € 90,00 per room -
- boat tour to the Archipelago of La Maddalena
5 - Aeolian Islands, Sicily
This well-known archipelago includes famous islands such as Stromboli, Lipari, Salina, Panarea, all beautiful and full of wonderful beaches to visit. The sea is crystal clear, and the islands are easily accessible by ferry or hydrofoil. Especially on the smaller islands, donkeys are still widely used today as a means of transport in areas without roads. Interesting, right?
It is a destination mostly suitable for those who want to enjoy a slow-paced holiday, including relaxation on the beach, refreshing swims and feasting on fresh fish in the many typical trattorias. Some islands offer peculiar opportunities, for example in Stromboli (a volcanic island) it is possible to go trekking at sunset in the Sciara del Fuoco, a steep slope from which lava, lapilli and incandescent scoria flow.
Plan your trip to Porto Rotondo: info and useful tips
- Ideal for: couples. With the exception of Panarea, these are not very busy islands, not suitable for those looking for nightlife
- Hotel and b & b starting from € 55,00 per room -
- Stromboli: sunset trekking in the Sciara del Fuoco
6 - Gran Paradiso National Park, Aosta Valley
The oldest Italian National Park, established in 1922, has an area of over 71 thousand hectares and allows you to admire the animal species par excellence of this place: the ibex.
Mountains, trails, 360 ° nature but also lakes and waterfalls make this park an ideal destination for those looking for a holiday in silence and relaxation.
The park is perfect for families thanks to the many activities for children available throughout the summer. We organize naturalistic activities on the theme of the wolf with games, simulations and observations, climbing workshops, night observation of the stars and much more.
Plan your trip to the Gran Paradiso National Park: info and useful tips
- Ideal for: families, young people, couples and lovers of sport and nature in general
- Hotel and b & b starting from € 80,00 per room -
7 - Elba Island, Tuscany
Porto Ferraio, Marina di Campo, Capoliveri, Marciana Marina: the Island of Elba with its municipalities and splendid beaches awaits you, even better if in July, the last rather quiet period before the arrival of the tourist mass in August.
Things to see and do are different: the strong and the Napoleonic villas of Portoferraio, the beaches of Le Ghiaie or Sansone, the Coast of the Sun with the beach of Fetovaia, the eastern side and the mines.
The island is easily accessible from Piombino throughout the year, but a visit is recommended in the summer months to admire the fantastic views of the sea and to enjoy its beaches.
Plan your trip to the Island of Elba: info and useful tips
- Ideal for: couples, is a romantic destination
- Hotel and b & b starting from € 76,00 per room -
8 - Province of Ancona, Marche
The Marche is one of the most underrated Italian regions. The Adriatic coast of the Marche offers interesting solutions for a holiday suitable for everyone. Throughout the province of Ancona beaches abound, starting with the Passetto beach, probably one of the most famous. Other noteworthy beaches are Baia Canaria in Senigallia, the Mezzavalle beach, the Portonovo beach and the Delle due Sorelle beach. To know all the best beaches in the Marche, we invite you to read this article.
But that's not all, Ancona is also a lovely city for its historical and architectural wonders such as the dome, the Mole Vanvitelliana and the Arch of Trajan, which can be visited thanks to comfortable guided walking tours. Finally, the special deserves a mention Conero Park, capable of combining the sea (here is the aforementioned Spiaggia delle due Sorelle), hills and medieval villages, such as Recanati, Loreto and Castelfilardo.
Plan your trip to Ancona: info and useful tips
- Ideal for: couples and in general those who love the sea, nature but also cities of art and small villages
- Hotel and b & b starting from € 58,00 per room -
- Ancona: 2 hours private walking tour with guide
9 - Tropea, Calabria
Center divided into two parts: the upper part, where most of the inhabitants live, is built on a rock overlooking the sea, while the lower part is called "Marina", with lovely beaches reachable via 3 streets and 4 stairways. L'Occhiale on the beach there is the famous Blue Grotto: a breathtaking spectacle with the cave which, thanks to the reflections of the sea and the rays of light, turns blue.
A great way to visit the attractions of Tropea is through a gastronomic tour that allows you to admire the musts and savor spicy specialties as per the Calabrian tradition.
Finally, many interesting daily tours depart from Tropea thanks to which it is possible to visit interesting Calabrian destinations such as Scilla and Reggio Calabria, and Sicilian ones, such as the already toured Aeolian Islands or the beautiful Taormina.
Plan your trip to Tropea: info and useful tips
- Ideal for: young people and couples, it is a romantic but also dynamic destination
- Hotel and b & b starting from € 54,00 per room -
- "spicy" tour to Tropea and Capo Vaticano
10 - Assisi, Umbria
Assisi is undoubtedly among the places to visit absolutely in Umbria. July is a perfect time to savor Assisi in all its integrity and spirituality. It is in fact a famous pilgrimage destination, as it is linked to San Francesco. Among the many religious architectures not to be missed are the Basilica of S. Francesco, the Basilica of S. Chiara, the Hermitage of the Carceri, the Church of S. Damiano. Even the Piazza del Comune and Rocca Maggiore are all ideal places to relax and meditate.
You can visit the city on an organized tour and then dedicate yourself to discovering the surroundings. The area is in fact characterized by a great food and wine tradition, it is no coincidence that there are various wine tasting activities and even food and wine tours including balloon flights.
Plan your trip to Assisi: info and useful tips
- Ideal for: couples and religious tourism enthusiasts in general
- Hotel and b & b starting from € 58,00 per room -
- Assisi: 3-Hour Walking Tour Basilica of San Francesco Assisi: Picnic with Wine Tasting Assisi: Hot Air Balloon Flight, Breakfast, and Wine Tasting
Other tips and destinations where to go on holiday in July
- Destinations to visit abroad: do you want a regenerating holiday in an exotic destination outside the Italian borders? Discover all the most popular destinations for July holidays abroad. From the Parks of Northern Tanzania to the nosy be beaches of Madagascar, discover them all here!
- Destinations to visit by the sea: if for you too the word summer is synonymous with sea, sun and sand then you can't miss all the best summer seaside destinations to visit. Discover all the destinations in Italy and abroad with info and prices
- Low cost destinations: July is the best month to enjoy a low budget summer holiday without sacrificing anything, but where to go: sea or mountains? Discover the best quality / price destinations much better than others, here they are all!
- Destinations for young people: if you want to have fun at night with friends, here are 10 destinations for young people in Italy