Every year, as Christmas and New Year approaches, the usual question always arises: where to spend the holidays? This year we will help you! Here are some holiday ideas based on what are the ideal destinations during the holidays. If you are a lover of cities and markets, ski lovers, looking for relaxation and well-being, or even if you want to stay warm during the holidays, we have something for everyone!
- Christmas and New Year in the mountains
- Christmas and New Year in Europe
- Christmas and New Year in the heat
- Other ideas and low cost destinations for Christmas and New Year
- User questions and comments
Christmas and New Year in the mountains
1 - Canazei, Trentino-Alto Adige
How about the Christmas holidays in the Dolomites? We want to offer you Canazei, the famous Trentino ski resort and heart of the Val di Fassa, as well as a center for fun and relaxation. This small mountain village in fact offers various possibilities for your holidays. Ski lovers will find modern ski lifts between Col Rodella and Belvedere, which connect Canazei to the equally beautiful Val Gardena. But if you don't like skiing, know that they are there several wellness centers with saunas, swimming pool and massages. And finally you can't miss the modest old town with Christmas markets, typical shops and evening pubs!
- Climate and temperatures: alpine climate, temperatures -4/3 ° C
- flights to Verona (200 km from Canazei) from € 99,00 -
- Hotel and b & b starting from € 94,00 per room -
- Return flight + 11 days / 10 nights from € 1138,00 per person -
- From Verona: semi-private Dolomites day trip Bolzano: private tour along the Great Dolomites Road
2 - Livigno, Lombardy
Livigno, in Lombardy, is a small village located in a valley, ski resort among the most popular in Italy. The reasons for such fame are certainly the scenic beauty and the long ski slopes with state-of-the-art facilities, in addition to the fact that Livigno is a complete location both for the many other activities that can be carried out, and in terms of hospitality and services offered. The various categories of skiing will not be missing in your holiday, such as cross-country skiing and off-piste skiing with freeride experts, or proposals such as surfing in the snow park, snowshoeing and paragliding descents, without forgetting the various wellness possibilities with which you can relax after intense days and shelter from the intense cold. And finally, the much loved ones could be missing during the holidays Christmas markets? In Livigno they are really very suggestive thanks to the mountainous and white landscape that surrounds the valley, illuminated and full of life.
- Climate and temperatures: alpine climate, temperatures -6/2 ° C
- flights to Milan (196 km from Livigno) from € 98,00 -
- Hotel and b & b starting from € 98,00 per room -
- Return flight + 11 days / 10 nights from € 1176,00 per person -
- Motorcycle tour on the most beautiful alpine roads
3 - Sestriere, Piedmont
Here is another valid proposal for mountain and ski lovers. Sestriere is a Piedmontese ski resort, also one of the most renowned in Italy as it hosts many important competitions. Its landscape is dominated by the snow and by two imposing towers, the red and the white, which can be seen in every postcard of the town. Its strong point is the possibility of skiing at night on an illuminated Olympic track. A nice idea for Christmas Eve, isn't it? While in the New Year's night enjoy the fireworks display and the various musical performances offered, then go wild in one of the many clubs that stay open until late at night.
- Climate and temperatures: alpine climate, temperatures -6/0 ° C
- flights to Milan (225 km from Sestriere) from € 98,00 -
- Hotel and b & b starting from € 87,00 per room -
- Return flight + 11 days / 10 nights from € 1066,00 per person -
4 - St Moritz, Switzerland
If you have a high resistance to cold and good economic possibilities then you can opt for a Christmas holiday in a Swiss ski resort. We want to offer you St Moritz! This popular resort has the reputation of being a luxurious place for the well-heeled, after all, it is well known that Switzerland in general is far from being an economic destination. But if this is not a problem for you for sure you will not be disappointed with the St Moritz ski area and its Christmas offer. The lifts are 24 and the slopes extend for 155 km, moreover there is the possibility of skiing at night thanks to the rich lighting along the slopes. The spas, the Christmas markets, the lively New Year's Eve parties will complete your holiday and a colorful fireworks show at the stroke of midnight!
- Climate and temperatures: continental climate, temperatures -10 / -4 ° C
- flights to Milan (156 km from St Moritz) from € 98,00 -
- Hotel and b & b starting from € 101,00 per room -
- Return flight + 11 days / 10 nights from € 1206,00 per person -
- Day trip to St. Moritz and accommodation Helicopter flight excursion over the Engadine valley Swiss Coupon Pass: 2 for 1 offers in Switzerland Switzerland: Digital Coupon Switzerland 2018
5 - Nicolosi, Sicily
Have you ever skied on a volcano? And especially, have you ever skied looking at the sea? Etna, an imposing Sicilian active volcano, offers a truly unique experience and unforgettable landscapes. The absence of vegetation at high altitude allows you to have a total view of the Gulf of Catania. Nicolosi is one of the starting points to reach the ski slopes in the Etna Sud area, but also a place full of celebrations for Christmas and New Year. There is no shortage of Christmas markets that surround artistic and cultural shows and entertainment.
- Climate and temperatures: cold temperate climate, temperatures -5/4 ° C
- flights to Catania (16 km from Nicolosi) from € 33,00 -
- Hotel and b & b starting from € 64,00 per room -
- Return flight + 11 days / 10 nights from € 706,00 per person -
- Mount Etna and the Volcano Winter Tour Neve Etna: trekking on the summit and on the crater
Christmas and New Year in Europe
6 - Riga, Latvia
The capital of Latvia always amazes, at any time of the year, but during the holiday season it gives its best. The narrow streets of the historic center surrounded by colorful buildings are tinged with white and become a succession of lights and scents of Christmas. The Christmas Markets dominate the city, but a visit to the main attractions remains a must. Do not miss the Freedom Monument, the House of the Blackheads, the Cathedral and the Castle. Also you should know that Riga offers truly low cost stays and it remains economical even during this busy period.
- Climate and temperatures: continental climate, temperatures -6/0 ° C
- starting from € 35,00 -
- Hotel and b & b starting from € 27,00 per room -
- Return flight + 11 days / 10 nights from € 340,00 per person -
- Riga: Private Old Town Walking Tour 2 Days Hop-On Hop-Off Bus Tour of Riga
7 - Vienna, Austria
Vienna is the undisputed capital of music and waltzes, a magical and fascinating city. During the Christmas period it comes alive even more giving emotions, between the arrival of the snow, the preparation of the Christmas markets in the Town Hall Square, the Ferris wheel in Riesenradplatz and the Kubik in Sigmund Freud Park, an event that offers unparalleled light shows. On New Year's Eve you will hear the tolling of Austria's largest bell coming from Stephanplatz, the cathedral square, but to wait for midnight in an evocative way, the best choice is the dinner cruise on the Danube. For the celebrations the Veglione at the Imperial Ball is the most exclusive event in the city, but there are several hotels and castles that offer musical evenings to wait for midnight and continue even after!
- Climate and temperatures: continental climate, temperatures -2/4 ° C
- starting from € 48,00 -
- Hotel and b & b starting from € 89,00 per room -
- Return flight + 11 days / 10 nights from € 986,00 per person -
- Vienna: 1-day hop-on hop-off bus tour with free Wi-Fi Vienna: 2-hour historical tour Vienna Orchestra: Mozart and Strauss in the Brahms Hall Vienna City Card: transport and discounts
8 - Prague, Czech Republic
Prague is one of the most evocative European capitals during the Christmas period! Its towers, the Cathedral and large squares surround the typical Christmas markets they recreate a traditional and warm environment, invariably snowy and evocative. In addition, Prague is a city full of life that lights up even more during the holidays there will be Christmas and New Year celebrations long-lasting and lively in every club in the city, without neglecting the long ones fireworks in the main squares.
- Climate and temperatures: continental climate, temperatures -2/1 ° C
- starting from € 43,00 -
- Hotel and b & b starting from € 49,00 per room -
- Return flight + 11 days / 10 nights from € 576,00 per person -
- Prague: Castle and Old Town Walking Tour Prague: 24 or 48-Hour Hop-on Hop-off Bus and Boat Tour Prague's Old Town and Jewish Quarter: 2-Hour Guided Tour
9 - Oslo, Norway
A Christmas and a New Year in a Scandinavian country are mandatory at least once in a lifetime! In this regard we want to suggest Oslo, the capital of Norway, which will make you feel the warmth of Christmas to the fullest, despite its low temperatures. The Karl Johan street suddenly turns into the Christmas street, with decorations, lights and the inevitable snow. In the historic center, the Christmas markets are set up, precisely in the Folklore Museum, which features statuettes and images of gnomes, typical of local mythology. Here you can enjoy in addition to the classic mulled wine, i typical Norwegian sweets julekake and pepperkaker, made with raisins and ginger respectively.
- Climate and temperatures: Baltic-continental climate, temperatures -5/0 ° C
- starting from € 45,00 -
- Hotel and b & b starting from € 73,00 per room -
- Return flight + 11 days / 10 nights from € 820,00 per person -
- Oslo: 2-hour sightseeing cruise through the fjords Oslo: 2-hour walking tour Oslo: 30, 24 or 48-hour hop-on hop-off city tour Oslo Pass
10 - London, UK
London is one of the European capitals par excellence, one of those cities that is worth visiting at any time of the year but which gives its best at Christmas. Trafalgar Square and Carnaby Street are filled with glittering lights and decorations, the Christmas Markets certainly cannot be missed, but the real Christmas attraction in London is the Winter Festival which lasts for the entire holiday period and offers a rich program of theatrical and musical events, free and not. A walk in the paths of the Royal Botanical Gardens is also a must, which for the period are decorated with lots of Christmas lights and decorations, where the little ones can visit Santa Claus and his elves!
- Climate and temperatures: oceanic climate, temperatures 2/8 ° C
- starting from € 25,00 -
- Hotel and b & b starting from € 53,00 per room -
- Return flight + 11 days / 10 nights from € 580,00 per person -
- London: River Thames Cruise with Lunch London: Open Top Bus Tour London Pass with Free Entry to 60 Attractions St Paul's Cathedral and Tower of London Tour with Cruise
Christmas and New Year in the heat
11 - Marsa Alam, Egypt: 11 days All inclusive + flight
Imagine yourself on New Year's Day on a beautiful beach in the Red Sea, maybe snorkeling in the seabed, while your friends sip mulled wine to warm up. All this is possible by taking advantage of the unmissable offer to fly to Marsa Alam. You can enjoy a week in an all-inclusive formula in a beautiful luxury resort in which nothing will be missing! Swimming pools, spas, massages, drinks, activities and excursions, to give you a different New Year's Eve. Obviously within the resort there will be the New Year's Eve dinner and the celebrations after midnight.
- Climate and temperatures: subtropical desert climate, temperatures 18/25 ° C
- starting from € 268,00 -
- Hotel and b & b starting from € 32,00 per room -
- Return flight + 11 days / 10 nights from € 856,00 per person -
- Marsa Alam: snorkeling in Abu Dabab From Marsa Alam: super safari in a Bedouin village
12 - Gran Canaria, Spain: 11 days All inclusive + flight
Here is another warm place with an offer, complete with flights, that will make you worry for a week! So for Christmas, take your family to a very modern family hotel in Taurito, in the south of Gran Canaria, where you can enjoy one week with an all inclusive formula and all the services you will need. There is no shortage of beautiful beaches, swimming pools, massages and information on possible excursions. Moreover from Santa Lucia to Christmas a series of events and festivals take place all over the island, such as the days dedicated to Christmas-themed sand sculptures!
- Climate and temperatures: subtropical oceanic climate, temperatures 17/22 ° C
- starting from € 99,00 -
- Hotel and b & b starting from € 88,00 per room -
- Return flight + 11 days / 10 nights from € 1078,00 per person -
- Gran Canaria: Beginner Dive Course in Taurito Full-Day Tour of Gran Canaria Island Gran Canaria: 1-Hour Dolphin Watching Gran Canaria: Full-Day Tour and Camel Ride
13 - Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt: 11 days All inclusive + flight
For an alternative Christmas in the snow, ski slopes and Christmas markets, here is an offer designed for lovers of high temperatures all year round! Sharm el-Sheikh is the Egyptian resort par excellence, overlooking the Red Sea, where the heat never fails. Treat yourself to 7 days in a splendid hotel complete with spa and wellness center that will not make you miss anything with its all-inclusive formula. It will be a week full of relaxation on dream beaches, during which you can relax on Naama Bay, snorkel around Tiran Island or a nice safari in Ras Muhammad National Park.
- Climate and temperatures: subtropical climate, temperatures 18/25 ° C
- starting from € 193,00 -
- Hotel and b & b starting from € 31,00 per room -
- Return flight + 11 days / 10 nights from € 696,00 per person -
- Quad Bike Adventure Sharm El Sheikh Sharm El Sheikh: Glass Bottom Boat Tour Snorkeling: Ras Mohammed National Park Boat Ride
14 - Caribbean Cruise: 8 days All Inclusive
How many times have you thought about spending the cold Christmas season on a warm tropical beach? This splendid cruise proposed by Costa is your chance, with which you won't have to settle for just one beach because departing from Port Everglades you will land in Miami, Turks and Caicos, the Bahamas and the Dominican Republic. Also on a cruise you won't have to worry about anything! On board you will taste the typical Caribbean cuisine thanks to the full board included in the price, and there will be plenty of Christmas-themed entertainment, like the arrival of Santa Claus for the little ones and a super New Year's party by the pool for the older ones.
- Climate and temperatures: tropical climate, temperatures 20/25 ° C
- Prices: from € 999,00 per person -
- Itinerary: Port Everglades, Freeport, Grand Turk, Amber Cove, Miami, Port Everglades
15 - Cruise in the Indian Ocean: 15 days All inclusive
But between one ski and another, how about 15 days of pure relaxation among the beautiful islands of the Indian Ocean? With this rich itinerary proposed by Costa, you will depart from Mauritius and you will go to the discovery of Madagascar, the Seychelles and Réunion. You will spend unusual holidays, Christmas in Victoria, one of the main destinations in the Seychelles, and New Year's Eve in Tamatave, Madagascar, between beautiful beaches and wild nature. On board you will have no worries thanks to the all-inclusive formula included in the price, and there will be Christmas shows and celebrations with Santa Claus!
- Climate and temperatures: tropical climate, temperatures 25/30 ° C
- Prices: from € 1.349,00 per person -
- Itinerary: Port Louis, Victoria, Nosy Be, Diego Suarez, Tamatave, St. Denis - Le Port, Port Louis
Other ideas and low cost destinations for Christmas and New Year
- The most beautiful Christmas destinations in the world: Sparkling lights, decorated shop windows, markets and events; every city lives the holidays in its own way and we propose the most beautiful destinations to visit at least once in a lifetime.
- Villages of Italy to visit at Christmas: there are places where you can savor the slowness of the Italian dolce vita, made even sweeter by Christmas ... discover them in this article!
- Christmas in Europe: if you are looking for a Christmas half in Europe, here is a selection of ten suggestive European places to spend the Christmas holidays.
- The most beautiful New Year's parties in the world: if you don't want to compromise, don't miss the craziest and most memorable celebrations in the world, here are the best destinations in the world for New Year's Eve.
- New Year in Italy: in the beautiful country there is no shortage of solutions to spend an unforgettable New Year; here's where to celebrate in Italy.
- New Year in Europe: even in the old continent there are fantastic locations, here are the best European cities for New Year's Eve.