The Algarve is the southernmost region of Portugal and is the ideal destination for those in search of adventure and unspoiled nature! Between incredible cliffs overlooking the Atlantic Ocean, white beaches and caves carved into the rocks, this destination will make your vacation unforgettable.
However, it is important to choose the right period, trying to avoid the wettest months and, above all, the windiest ones, which could ruin your trip. So here it is everything you need to know about when to go to the Algarve: climate, best period and advice month by month.
- Climate, Average Temperatures and Precipitation
- When to go to the Algarve: the cheapest period
- Algarve in Spring
- Algarve in Summer
- Algarve in Autumn
- Algarve in Winter
- User questions and comments
Climate, Average Temperatures and Precipitation
- Best time: for beach life and relaxation the best time is the summer season, while for excursions in the region the months of April and May are preferred
- Period to avoid: the winter months, especially from November to March, due to precipitation and the strong wind that comes from the Atlantic Ocean
In the Algarve region, with the capital city of Faro, the climate is Mediterranean, characterized by hot summers and mild winters.
Precipitation is quite low and present in the winter semester, therefore from October to March. What can be a problem is the strong wind that often comes from the ocean and affects this area, especially in the colder months. In summer it blows mainly in the afternoon and is similar to a breeze. This wind however creates the perfect conditions for water sports lovers, in fact it is one renowned surf destination throughout Europe!
Beware of sea temperature: it is never too high, so it goes from an average of 18 ° in the winter months, to 21 ° in the months of July and August, the best months if you want to take a holiday between sea and relaxation.
When to go to the Algarve: the cheapest period
From a strictly economic point of view, winter is obviously the low season, the one with less tourist turnout. In these months the prices are lower and you can find numerous offers, even on flights to reach your destination.
To find a very good one compromise between better climate and cheaper period, you could consider the months immediately preceding and following the summer season, therefore May / June and September.
Algarve in Spring
If you are not interested in beach life, but want to explore this beautiful region, organize excursions and maybe do some surfing, spring may be the season for you! In fact, this season the temperatures are mild and the days are sunny, with still some downsides present but not like in winter.
But not only that, spring is also full of events! One of the most important is the Contemporary Music Festival held in the city of Portimão in mid-April, an event where you will have the opportunity to learn more about this culture and its traditions. But it is not the only music festival: from the end of April until the beginning of June the International Music Festival in the Algarve, which attracts many tourists every year. 19 concerts are organized with all genres of music.
Algarve in Summer
It's surely the best season to visit the Algarve! Both for the high temperatures mitigated by the breeze coming from the Atlantic Ocean, and for the good temperatures of the sea water, which in July and August are around 22 °.
But not only that, summer is the festival season par excellence! For example, towards the end of summer, The BPM Festival is held, a huge 4-day electronic music event held in the city of Portimão. Not to mention the Festival Med, a music festival with national and international artists which is held between late June and early July. Not just music, but this is really an aggregation event for locals and tourists and an excellent opportunity to get to know the gastronomic culture. And for those who want to go back in time, in August in Castro Marin there is a wonderful historical reenactment, lasting 4 days, which will take you back to the Middle Ages! An event in Faro for motor lovers: the Faro Bike Meeting, lasting 3 days in which motorcyclists invade the city.
Algarve in Autumn
It is a good season to visit the region only in its first part: between the end of September and the month of October the days are still warm and sunny and the first disturbances begin to arrive. From November the climate is mild but the abundant rainfall begins and, above all, the wind from the Atlantic Ocean begins to arrive.
One of the most important events of this period is certainly the Festival de Observação de Aves, in the town of Sagres. IS' the most important birdwatching event in Portugal! But not only birdwatching, there are many activities to do, such as trekking in the countryside, boat trips, thematic mini courses, conferences and environmental education workshops. It is generally held in the first week of October.
Algarve in Winter
It is, without a doubt, the most not recommended season to visit the region of the Algarve. The temperatures are quite mild, during the day on average it is around 10 °, and there are beautiful sunny days, but the sky is often overcast, with different rainfall and strong winds.
If though you are a surf lover, this is the season for you! In fact, in winter the optimal conditions are created to practice this sport, thanks to the big waves! And maybe you could consider the destination for spend a slightly different Christmas, away from the cold! There is no shortage of things to do between markets and shows. And on the night of December 31, wonderful fireworks displays are organized over the sea.
How to dress: what to pack
- In winter: mid-season clothes and some warm clothes, such as sweatshirts and a jacket. Raincoat and umbrella for rainy days, scarf and hat for strong wind days
- In summer: light clothing, short-sleeved shirts, shorts and tank tops. Swimsuit, towel and flip-flops for days at sea. A sweatshirt for the evening
- In autumn and spring: between-season sweaters and t-shirts with short sleeves, always bring a light sweatshirt and a light raincoat for rainy days. Don't forget comfortable hiking shoes
Haven't booked your trip yet? Discover our offers!
- to Faro starting from € 115,00 -
- the best cities to base yourself in are the capital Faro, the city of Portimão and the city of Lagos - Hotels and b & b in Faro starting from € 40,00 per room -
- Return flight + 7 days / 6 nights from € 380,00 per person -
- Cave Tour and Dolphin Watching From Lagos: Fun Algarve Catamaran Cruise Albufeira: Half-Day Algarve Jeep Safari
Most Interesting Articles
- maldives islands where they are when to go and what to see
- ranking of the most rude countries in the world
- top 10 mafias in the world the richest and most powerful criminal organizations
- the 15 biggest and most beautiful zoos in the world official ranking
- top 10 biggest and most beautiful zoos in europe official ranking