A country in south-west Asia, Saudi Arabia is bordered to the west by the Red Sea and to the east by the Persian Gulf, while in the center it is crossed by the desert and some mountain ranges of different heights.
Almost everywhere the climate is desert type however, precisely because of its position, in Arabia there are differences between the various areas to be taken into consideration if you make a trip to this land.
So here is information and advice for you on when to go to Saudi Arabia: climate, best time and months to avoid.
- Best time
- Period to avoid
- Climate and seasons
- User questions and comments
The climate of Saudi Arabia can be divided into 4 zones: the coastal part, dividing it in turn into the west coast on the Red Sea and the east coast on the Persian Gulf, the Syrian desert and the plateau.
Wherever the most recommended time for a stay is from November to March, as in the other months the temperatures can become really excessive!
The only area we suggest visiting between March-April and October-November is the northern one north of Riyadh.
Let's see specifically the climatic characteristics of each area mentioned:
- Coast of the Red Sea and Mecca: the best period is from October to April when the days are sunny but the temperatures are not too high, between 21 ° and 29 °; November is the perfect month for swimming with a water temperature of 28 °
- Persian Gulf Coast (Dammam): this coast is less hot than the Red Sea, the best months are September-November and February-May (temperatures between 16 ° and 29 °) and the days are mostly sunny; the sea in October and November has ideal temperatures
- Plateau (Riyadh, Medina): fairly uniform climate, mild winter but with nocturnal temperature variations, very hot summer; however in the north the temperatures are lower than in the south, so the ideal months are March-April and October-November with temperatures between 15 ° and 28 °
In general, if you want to organize a trip to Saudi Arabia, take that into account the best period is from October to April, when it is in winter with us, as the maximum temperatures are around 28 ° and the minimum around 15 ° and will allow you to fully enjoy your trip.
Period to avoid
On the other hand, however, the worst time to visit Saudi Arabia is summer, from June to September, when temperatures are torrid and reach 48 °. In these months, in some areas the heat is so stifling that it makes it difficult even to lie on the beach and sunbathe. And the strong humidity accentuates the perception of heat even more.
Climate and seasons
Saudi Arabia is characterized by a arid-desert climate with two seasons: a milder one, from November to March, and a warm one, from April to October.
Le temperature variations are slight and rainfall is rare. Only the mountain area is rainier and 218 mm of rain fall per year for a total of 62 days.
The hot season runs from April to October with very high temperatures, between 29 ° and 44 °, and non-existent showers, while the mild one is between November and March with warm temperatures during the day but low at night, causing a strong temperature range. Temperatures range from 12 ° to 28 °.
On the coasts the humidity is more pronounced and in summer the perception of heat can be considerable.
Average Temperatures and Precipitation - Red Sea Coast (Jeddah)
On the Red Sea Coast there is no winter, it's hot all year round and while from November to March the temperatures are between 20 ° and 29 °, in the remaining months the heat is stifling and torrid with temperatures reaching 40 °. Instead, rainfall is practically non-existent.
The sea has minimum temperatures of 26 ° in January and maximums of 31 ° between July and September.
Recommended period: between October and April with temperatures between 20 and 32 ° and sea pleasant for swimming
Average Temperatures and Precipitation - Plain (Mecca)
Mecca is located in a plain not too far from the Red Sea coasts and the climate is almost identical, except for temperatures that can reach 44 ° in summer. From May to September, the days when 40 ° are exceeded are many and 300 days a year the temperatures are around 32 °.
This UAE city is one of the hottest in the world. It rarely rains and there are 110 mm of rain per year.
Recommended period: late November-early February is the only period with bearable temperatures, which are between 19 ° and 31 °
Average Temperatures and Precipitation - Persian Gulf Coast (Dammam)
On the coast of the Persian Gulf the climate is desert characterized by sunny and mild winters (December-February) with significant temperature variations, the average temperatures in January 15 °. From March to November, however, the summer is very hot and sunny with average temperatures of 37 ° in July and August. Humidity is lower than in the Red Sea because the winds come from the desert and not from the sea. It rains very little and only 90 mm of rain per year fall, concentrated between November and April.
Finally, the sea has a temperature of 20 ° in January and 33 ° in August.
Recommended period: March-May and October-November, when the heat is more tolerable
Average Temperatures and Precipitation - Plateau (Riyadh and La Medina)
The plateau is characterized by rocky, sandy deserts and some mountains between 400 and 1200 meters.
Here the climate is mild in winter with a strong nocturnal temperature range and minimum temperatures around 10 °, while summers are torrid and the thermometer reaches even 47/48 °.
The rains are rare and there are 111 mm of annual showers divided into 46 days concentrated between December and April.
Recommended period: the heat is bearable between late October and early April, with highs of 29 °; however it is better to avoid December-January, the lows are around 9 ° and it can happen that they drop down to 2/3 °.
What to bring in your suitcase
- Capital: Riyadh
- Population: 28.146.656
- Area: 2.149.690 sq. Km
- Languages: Arabic and English
- Currency: Saudi Riyal (SAR) / € 1,00 = 4,14 SAR
- Documents: passport with residual validity of 6 months; from 1 October 2019, citizens of 49 countries including Italy can apply for an entry visa for tourist reasons through the official website or directly at the diplomatic-consular offices of the Kingdom; tourism usually takes place in groups or for religious pilgrimage; people coming from Israel or born in this country cannot enter Arabia; women must be accompanied by their employer or husband
- Time zone: + 2h compared to Italy
- vaccinations: mandatory meningococcal meningitis vaccine for those traveling to Mecca; recommended diphtheria and tetanus, measles, typhoid fever, hepatitis A, hepatitis B, rabies
- Safety info: visit the Saudi Arabia section on the Farnesina website
Most Interesting Articles
- maldives islands where they are when to go and what to see
- ranking of the most rude countries in the world
- top 10 mafias in the world the richest and most powerful criminal organizations
- the 15 biggest and most beautiful zoos in the world official ranking
- top 10 biggest and most beautiful zoos in europe official ranking