Sarajevo, in the heart of Bosnia and Herzegovina, is a city rich in history and charm, thanks to its geographical location halfway between the mountains and the Miljacka river, and to the beauty of its historic center, where you will find several attractions that are definitely worth a visit.
The city is an ideal destination for a long weekend, but we advise you to carefully choose the period in which to travel, so as to avoid finding bad weather or cold.
- Climate, Average Temperatures and Precipitation
- When to go to Sarajevo: the cheapest period
- Sarajevo in Spring
- Sarajevo in the Summer
- Sarajevo in Autumn
- Sarajevo in Winter
- User questions and comments
Climate, Average Temperatures and Precipitation
- Best time: from May to September, with a preference for July-August
- Period to avoid: winter from late November to February is very cold and rainy
Sarajevo's climate is continental, with rather high temperatures in summer, and cold weather in winter. In July, temperatures above 30 ° C are quite frequent, while in winter, during cold spells, the temperature can drop down to -20 ° C.
Precipitation here is less abundant than on the coast, are around 900 mm, but are well distributed throughout the year.
From a climatic point of view, the best time is certainly summer, from June to September.
When to go to Sarajevo: the cheapest period
Sarajevo is not a particularly expensive destination. The low season corresponds to the autumn-winter period, but cold temperatures and rains discourage tourism during this period. The best compromise is late spring from late April to early June.
Sarajevo in Spring
Sarajevo in spring prepares to be reborn: the spring-summer period is certainly the best to enjoy the city to the fullest.
Although Sarajevo's spring is quite rainy, especially in May, the mild and pleasant temperatures allow you to visit the city without problems. You can certainly take the opportunity to enjoy the old town, Baščaršija, or to admire a game of chess in front of the Orthodox Cathedral.
In May you can attend the international THEATRE festival "TeatarFest", while in June there is the International Rock Festival "Sarajevo forever", which every year hosts famous international and national rock artists.
Sarajevo in the Summer
The summer period is great for visiting the city, the rainy days decrease and the sky, especially in August, is often clear giving beautiful days, pay attention only to very hot temperatures, especially in the months of July and August. In good weather you can take advantage of it for a visit to Vrelo Bosne, a beautiful park located at the source of the Bosna river.
In addition, in summer Sarajevo comes alive with its festivals: the city, in fact, hosts the Sarajevo Film Festival, one of the major European film festivals, which attracts many cinema-loving tourists every summer; while between June and July the Zetra International Festival, which hosts the best and most famous classical music artists every year.
Sarajevo in Autumn
With the arrival of autumn temperatures drop again and rainy days also increase exponentially, however you will still be able to visit the beauties of the city, and in case of rain do not forget its museums, such as the National Museum of Bosnia and Herzegovina and Museum of Literature and Performing Arts.
In November, then, do not miss the Sarajevo Jazz Festival, an event that in recent years has been gaining more and more success by hosting internationally renowned artists.
Sarajevo in Winter
In winter, the climate of Sarajevo becomes much more rigid, e snowfalls are also frequent, which give the city a magical atmosphere, despite the cold and possible inconveniences. February is undoubtedly the coldest month of the year, while it may be worth visiting the city during the Christmas holidays: in this period, in fact, you should not miss the Christmas market of the city, which takes place in the historic center of Sarajevo from early December to early January, where it is possible to buy typical handicrafts in wood and copper, embroidered tablecloths and the Slivovica, plum brandy.
How to dress: what to pack
- In winter: in winter it is rather cold, we therefore recommend that you bring coats and heavy sweaters, to face the coldest temperatures. And don't forget a pair of comfortable shoes, as well as an umbrella!
- In summer: it can also be very hot, so bring light clothing, without forgetting a slightly heavier jacket.
- In autumn and spring: our advice is to dress in layers, it can be useful to have a windbreaker, and to bring heavier t-shirts and sweaters. The advice of comfortable shoes and an umbrella remains valid, real must-haves!
Haven't booked your trip yet? Discover our offers!
- starting from € 198,15 -
- Hotel and b & b starting from € 38,00 per room -
- Sarajevo bus tour Sarajevo: 2 hours Sarajevo walking tour: 3 hours war tour
Most Interesting Articles
- maldives islands where they are when to go and what to see
- ranking of the most rude countries in the world
- top 10 mafias in the world the richest and most powerful criminal organizations
- the 15 biggest and most beautiful zoos in the world official ranking
- top 10 biggest and most beautiful zoos in europe official ranking