The capital of Slovenia boasts a large student population and large green spaces, including the TiFlights park, the largest in the city. The city is crossed by the Ljubjanica river, on whose banks there are many outdoor cafes, which divides it into the old and commercial part.
Ljubljana offers visitors countless museums such as the National Museum of Slovenia and the Museum of Modern Art, the first of a historical nature and the second dedicated to painting and sculpture of Slovenian art of the last century. Let's find out what is the best time to visit the city.
- Climate, Average Temperatures and Precipitation
- When to go to Ljubljana: the cheapest period
- Ljubljana in Spring
- Ljubljana in Summer
- Ljubljana in Autumn
- Ljubljana in Winter
- User questions and comments
Climate, Average Temperatures and Precipitation
- Best time: spring and summer, for the best climatic conditions
- Period to avoid: in winter the city is less enjoyable due to the lower temperatures
Ljubljana is located at an altitude of 300 meters, in a hilly area that gives it a mild and rather cool climate. The average temperature in January is, in fact, around 0 degrees, while that in July is around 20, making it the ideal vacation spot for those who do not like the heat.
However, Ljubljana is one of the European cities with the highest amount of rainfall. In winter it snows, frosts are possible due to the wind coming from Russia, and heavy fog. In summer, however, there is no shortage of afternoon thunderstorms, sudden but still fast.
When to go to Ljubljana: the cheapest period
Ljubljana is a cheap city: the cost of a hotel does not go too far from € 40,00 per night throughout the year. That said, the season that welcomes the most tourists is certainly summer: at this time of the year, prices undergo slight increases.
The cheapest months of all are winter and autumn, but at the same time they are also those in which the climate is less favorable.
The best compromise for visiting the city while saving money without running into a too cold season or with little light, are the months of April, May, September and October.
Ljubljana in Spring
Spring is perhaps the best time to visit the city center enjoying the good weather and the many hours of light. To do this more comfortably, you can decide to rent bicycles, so you can go around the whole central area of the city without getting too tired.
A very popular alternative is the combined guided walking tour + river cruise, which in a couple of hours will show you the most fascinating aspects of the city (from € 17,00).
Absolutely not to be missed is the central market of the city, characteristic and frequented by the inhabitants of the city. The central market of Ljubljana has a covered and an open part, as well as an arcade where you will find bars and restaurants. The typical colors and scents of Slovenian spices and foods will envelop you making your visit very interesting.
Also include in your visit the Franciscan church of the Annunciation of the Virgin, very easy to find thanks to its proximity to the triple bridge and its salmon color, and the bridge of dragons, the first reinforced concrete bridge in Europe.
Ljubljana in Summer
If you decide to visit Ljubljana in the summer, you can enjoy beautiful walks on the river. If you are a lover of adventure and sport, don't miss the canyoning on the river: expert guides will accompany you for a peaceful canoe trip.
A nearby and easily accessible destination from Ljubljana is the Vintgar gorge. Located less than an hour's drive from the city, the gorge is a place to experience true peace and let the senses rest. 150 meters deep, the Vintgar Gorge is equipped with a wooden walkway that makes the visit completely safe and easily practicable even by children. The season is ideal for a combined day trip to Bled and Vintgar Gorge (from € 1).
Ljubljana in Autumn
In autumn you can walk in the historic center of Ljubljana in the hours of the day when there is light, perhaps enjoying some coffee along the river and admiring the landscape made even more suggestive by the particular light of this season. When the sun goes down, you can retreat to some museum to discover some of the history and culture of this fantastic country.
Lake Bled is certainly fascinating in the autumn season, located less than an hour's drive from Ljubljana, can be a truly enchanting destination for a trip out of town (half-day guided excursions from € 49,00).
Boasting extremely romantic landscapes and a small island, Lake Bled is an essential destination if you are traveling as a couple or with children. You can reach the island by boat, go around the lake in a carriage and stroll up to the castle to admire the view from above.
Ljubljana in Winter
The hours of winter light in Ljubljana are very few. For this it is advisable to dedicate this season to discovering museums. The National Museum of Slovenia will make you spend pleasant hours discovering the history of the country. The Museum of Modern Art will accompany you to discover the most important Slovenian painters and sculptors of the th century.
Among the places that can brighten your days in Ljubljana during the winter, don't miss:
- NUK, National and University Library
- Slovenian Ethnographic Museum
- MSUM Museum of Modern Art Metelkova
- National Gallery
- Modern art gallery
- Ljubljana civic gallery
- Museum of illusions
- St. Nicholas Cathedral
How to dress: what to pack
- In winter: Warm clothes and rain gear are a must for visiting the city in winter. Yes to wool sweaters, scarf, hat and waterproof winter hiking boots or after ski.
- In summer: light clothes and k-way. bring a sweater with you in case the wind gets up in the evening. Bermuda shorts and t-shirts are fine for the day, making sure you always have a k-way with you to protect you from sudden downpours. Sneakers will do fine, but treat them with a waterproofer.
- In autumn and spring: dress in layers. Although it is never very hot in Ljubljana, thermal changes are frequent in these seasons, so yes to long-sleeved cotton t-shirts with heavy sweatshirts. Waterproofed hiking boots will help you get around town comfortably despite rainfall.
Haven't booked your trip yet? Discover our offers!
- starting from € 100,00 -
- Hotel and b & b starting from € 40,00 per room -
- Ljubljana: 3-Hour Bike Cruise Ljubljana Walking Tour and 2-Hour River Cruise Ljubljana and Guided Ljubljana Castle Private Trip to Postojna Cave and Predjama Castle Ljubljana: Guided Walking Tour and Funicular to the Castle
Most Interesting Articles
- maldives islands where they are when to go and what to see
- ranking of the most rude countries in the world
- top 10 mafias in the world the richest and most powerful criminal organizations
- the 15 biggest and most beautiful zoos in the world official ranking
- top 10 biggest and most beautiful zoos in europe official ranking