Bolzano a city full of charm and history, which crosses the Middle Ages and the Austro-Hungarian period. It is very beautiful from a cultural and architectural point of view, with pastel colored buildings of Austrian influence, but which unfortunately is in an "uncomfortable" position as regards the climate that makes it cold in winter and too hot in summer: in fact it is not always a good time to visit Bolzano and the ideal period is reduced to a few months.
The city offers a number of events of various kinds at any time of the year to ensure that tourists experience it to the fullest.
Here is more information on when to go to Bolzano: climate, best period and advice month by month.
- Climate, Average Temperatures and Precipitation
- When to go to Bolzano: the cheapest period
- Bolzano in Spring
- Bolzano in Summer
- Bolzano in Autumn
- Bolzano in Winter
- User questions and comments
Climate, Average Temperatures and Precipitation
- Best time: from March to June and the month of September there are livable temperatures and scarce rains. However, between December and January, with the Christmas markets and the nearby ski resorts, the city becomes very touristy
- Period to avoid: July and August are very hot, humid and muggy months, with several rainy days and temperatures above 30 ° C. For the chilly, even winter is to be avoided due to snow and temperatures below 0 ° C
It is of the semi-continental type, determined above all by its position at 250 meters in a valley from which it derives cold winters with temperatures ranging from below 0 to 7 ° C, ed very hot summers with peaks of 30 ° C and a strong thermal excursion that in the evening drastically drops the temperature to 16 ° C.
As for rainfall, Bolzano is a city that, to varying degrees, sees the rain during each month, from the frequent summer storms due to high humidity to the scarce winter rains that give way to moderate snowfalls.
When to go to Bolzano: the cheapest period
A good climate and economic compromise is the month of March, when the season is not yet so touristy due to the temperatures that are not exactly hot but not as cold as in winter.
In this period it is possible to find cheap accommodation starting from € 40,00 per night, even in the historic center and with breakfast included.
Bolzano in Spring
It is the best time you can choose to go to Bolzano, both for temperatures that allow you to fully enjoy the city, both for festivals that are organized.
It starts in April with Spring In The City to welcome spring with stalls of local delicacies, artisans, artists and a rich entertainment program with music and animation.
At the end of April there is the Flower Festival, organized for over 100 years, during which the streets are transformed into a botanical garden and the balconies become cascades of flowers, giving harmony and color.
It continues in May with the Gourmet Festival in piazza del Grano and via Argentieri with 50 producers of Italian and above all local gastronomic and oenological specialties. In short, in spring you never get bored and there is something for everyone!
Bolzano in Summer
It is certainly not the best time to visit the city, because of its excessive temperatures and frequent rains that contribute to giving rise to a damp and suffocating city.
However however, several events take place to entertain those visitors who in any case choose the summer to go to Bolzano.
Throughout June, for example, there are Concerts in the Cloister of the Dominicans, while between June and July the Südtirol Jazzfestival with a musical theme takes place which sees Spanish and Portuguese artists perform. Between July and August, on the other hand, the Bolzano Festival Bozen is held, always on a musical theme, with the best European performers and instrumentalists and a truly rich and varied program, and always in August there is the Calici di Stelle event during which the turn into an oenological journey with tastings of the best local labels.
Bolzano in Autumn
The autumn it is certainly not the busiest time of the year, October and November can be really gray months.
In fact, in September a last outdoor event called the Dolce Vita is organized which takes place in Piazza delle Erbe with music and gastronomy.
For the rest the fall months are good for visiting attractions indoors like the museums in the city and the castles in the surrounding area. In Bolzano the options are many and you can choose between the natural science museum, the civic, the cathedral treasure and the South Tyrolean archaeological museum that we remember houses the famous Ötzi, the mummy of Similaun. While with regard to the castles we recommend Castel Roncolo and Castel Mareccio to discover a bit of medieval history.
Bolzano in Winter
The main attraction are the Christmas markets and, considering the climatic situation of the period, this awaited event manages to attract thousands of tourists every year. They have been a tradition since 1990 and are held every year behind Piazza Duomo from 27 November to 6 January.
In addition, the city is located right in the center of various ski resorts, such as Obereggen, much loved by locals for organized competitive events, such as the European Cup and the huts and very welcoming. Given the proximity to the city, there is the possibility to experience night skiing with the huts open on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays until 22pm. Instead, every Monday evening there is a night show on the snow!
How to dress: what to pack
- In winter: padded and waterproof jacket, boots, hat, scarf, gloves, thermal underwear, sweaters, umbrella
- In summer: t-shirt, tank top, shorts, jeans, light jacket, umbrella, hat, sunglasses, sunscreen
- In autumn and spring: long-sleeved shirts, jeans, between-season jackets, shirts, sweaters, sweatshirts, umbrella
Haven't booked your trip yet? Discover our offers!
- starting from € 51,00 -
- Hotel and b & b starting from € 40,00 per room -
- Return flight + 7 days / 6 nights from € 650,00 per person -
- Dolomites: 1 day excursion 2-hour private guided tour Guided walking tour of the historic center Dolomites: sleigh ride at night
Most Interesting Articles
- top 10 biggest and most beautiful zoos in europe official ranking
- the 15 biggest and most beautiful zoos in the world official ranking
- maldives islands where they are when to go and what to see
- top 10 mafias in the world the richest and most powerful criminal organizations
- ranking of the most rude countries in the world