What is the best time to visit Bern? The Swiss capital, whose center has been declared a World Heritage Site UNESCO, is very rich in museums, in evidence of medieval art and architecture along its streets and is a place centered on every kind of sport, from football to hockey. Let's find out when it is advisable to stay in the suggestive European location and how to be ready for the different temperatures and seasons of the elevetic Bern.
- Climate, Average Temperatures and Precipitation
- When to go to Bern: the cheapest period
- Bern in Spring
- Bern in the Summer
- Bern in Autumn
- Bern in Winter
- User questions and comments
Climate, Average Temperatures and Precipitation
- Best time: from May to September, with more pleasant temperatures and longer days. Bern is always enjoyable, but in these months the days are long and the heat is not excessive
- Period to avoid: winter is rather harsh and snowy, and as it is not a ski destination, it is not recommended
Bern's climatic conditions are influenced by its location 500 meters above the Mittelland plateau. This implies the prevalence in the Swiss capital of a Continental climate, characterized by rather cold winters (with temperatures that often drop below zero) and summers that are just as hot, but rainy.
When to go to Bern: the cheapest period
The low season in Bern is in the autumn months and in February. Summer and the Christmas period are the most expensive times.
The best compromise is in the months of April and September, less rainy than the summer and with sustainable temperatures, ideal for pleasantly touring the city. The advice is, as always, to book well in advance.
Bern in Spring
Spring in Bern starts rather quietly from the climatic point of view, gradually improving and favoring the explosion of colors and floral scents, as well as the awakening of the bears. To explore the city, this is the best season. Take the opportunity to explore the Swiss capital, its natural parks and outdoor meeting points for young people and not only.
Honorable mention for one of the longest shopping streets in Europe, 6 km where you can buy a souvenir that can remember the unforgettable stay in the city.
There is no shortage of events related to the show, such as the Loufmeter fashion show: the best designers in the city present their collections in an outdoor show.
Bern in the Summer
Summer in Bern is pleasant: thanks to the mild but not unbearable temperatures, it is possible to let yourself be conquered by the lively atmosphere of the Swiss capital practically 24 hours a day. One of the most pleasant activities to do from June to August is move by boat to visit the nearby villages. Do not forget to take part in the numerous musical events that take place in the summer, as well as to celebrate the Swiss National Day (1 August), during which you can visit the main attractions of the city, such as the Clock Tower.
Prefer cycling along the streets of the center and take part in numerous sporting events, such as the female run in June.
Bern in Autumn
Umbrella in hand, Bern's autumn is rather humid and it will not be difficult to "run into" a gloomy rainy day. Do not miss the opportunity to visit the Rosengarten, the Rose Garden, which during the months leading up to winter lights up with warm autumn shades.
Take advantage of the period from September to November for visit the wonderful museums of the Swiss capital (the Museum of Fine Arts, the Museum of Natural History, the House of Religions and the Einstein House, just to name the most important) and delight your eyes with a suggestive walk around the historic city center.
Bern in Winter
Bern is one of the most interesting European winter capitals to visit. The city, despite the very little lenient temperatures (with lows often below zero), is colored thanks to the presence of Christmas themed markets, to the skating rink and the possibility of giving in to the temptations of gluttony, thanks to food stands present in every corner of the city.
Winter is the ideal season to give in to the temptation to try your hand at winter sports, from hockey to skiing, having fun with family or friends.
How to dress: what to pack
- In winter: warm, typically winter clothes; comfortable and warm coats, hats, gloves, scarves and footwear
- In summer: alongside comfortable t-shirts and shoes, long pants, a sweatshirt for cool evenings and an umbrella in case of rain
- In autumn and spring: the k-way in case of rain, sweatshirts and long trousers; shirts and jacket
Haven't booked your trip yet? Discover our offers!
- Flights to Bern or Zurich (120 km from Bern) starting from € 74,98 -
- Hotel and b & b starting from € 90,00 per room -
- Bern Zytglogge: visit of the Clock Tower walking tour of the old town
Most Interesting Articles
- maldives islands where they are when to go and what to see
- ranking of the most rude countries in the world
- top 10 mafias in the world the richest and most powerful criminal organizations
- the 15 biggest and most beautiful zoos in the world official ranking
- top 10 biggest and most beautiful zoos in europe official ranking