The capital of Albania is not alone rich in history, culture and attractions, But is also a very lively and young city, a fantastic one economic destination easily accessible from Italy.
The city itself you can easily visit it in a couple of days, the best way is with guided tours. But a few kilometers from Tirana you can find sea, mountains and enchanting villages and villages that are still authentic and rural
The geomorphological variety of Albania offers a lot.
Here is a 7-day itinerary to discover Tirana and its wonderful surroundings.
- 1 day
- 2 day
- 3 day
- 4 day
- 5 day
- 6 day
- 7 day
- How much does a week cost in Tirana
- Before leaving: useful tips
- User questions and comments
The starting point is Scanderberg Square, the main square of the city surrounded by important buildings. In the center stands the equestrian monument in honor of Skanderberg and behind other institutional buildings recognizable by the ocher and burgundy facades.
Visit the National History Museum, easily identifiable by the colorful mosaic on the facade (9: 00-16: 00, Sunday 9: 00-14: 00, closed on Mondays, € 4,00). Then continue towards the national opera and ballet theater and the symbolic clock tower. So reach the Et'hem Bej Mosque, the only one of the 8 built in Tirana.
Have lunch at Sita (€ 8,00), typical Albanian street food.
Visit the neighbor Bunker'Art2, anti-atomic bunker transformed today into a museum on communism (9: 00-18: 00, € 8,00), then reach the Park Rinia "Tajvani", immense park of 3 hectares very popular with locals.
At the east end of the park is the Taiwan Center, a huge complex with restaurants, bars, casinos and even a bowling alley.
Have dinner in one of the many rooms inside (average € 20,00) and, after dinner, move outside to watch the water and light show of the fountains in front.
- Distance traveled: 2,2 km / 27 min
- Places visited: Scanderberg square (free), history museum (€ 4,00) national opera and ballet theater (free), clock tower (free), Et'hem Bej mosque (free), bunker'Art2 (€ 8,00 ), park Rinia "Tajvani" (free), Taiwan center (free)
- Daily shopping: € 42,00
- City Walking Tour 3 hour guided walking tour
- Lunch at Sita (Get directions), Dinner at Taiwan center (Get directions)
Excursion to Shkoder, northwestern city of Albania, located on the shores of the homonymous lake that it shares with Montenegro. The city is about 97 km away. It can be reached by car following the E762 / Sh1 and then the E851 (1 hour and 40 min), otherwise, 5 times a day, the Mini Bus leaves from Tirana to Shkodër (2 hours journey, € 2,00). Alternatively, we suggest booking a convenient online tour with hotel pickup and drop-off.
This is one of the most ancient and rich in culture of the Balkan peninsula and at the same time also a thriving economic center.
It boasts a beautiful historic center, recently renovated, where you can see the mixture between East and West, a reflection of that intertwining of cultures that have crossed it.
You can have lunch at Peja Grill (€ 6,00)
To see: the ruins of medieval castle of Drisht Lead Mosque Ebu Bekër Mosque St. Stephen's Cathedral and Ponte di Mezzo, a bridge of Ottoman origin located along what was the ancient caravan route that linked Albania to Montenegro and Kosovo.
Back in the capital in the evening, dine in the center of Delano Lounge Restaurant (€ 40,00)
- Distance traveled: 225 km / 4 h 27 min (by car)
- Places visited: Drisht Castle (free), Lead Mosque (free), Ebu Bekër Mosque (free), St. Stephen's Cathedral, Ponte di Mezzo (free),
- Daily shopping: € 55,00
- Shkodra: Full-Day Tour from Tirana Shkodra: Rozafa Castle Tour with Local Guide
- Lunch at Peja Grill (Get directions), Dinner at Delano Lounge Restaurant (Get directions)
Day trip to Durres. 51 km from Tirana, reachable by car in about 40 minutes following the SH2 in the direction of Rruga Martin Camaj / Rruga Unazes in Durrës. The alternative by bus is rather complicated: take the bus from the station (every hour, 30 min journey, € 2,00) and arrive at the airport; from the airport take the bus towards Durres, it costs € 4,00 but leaves every 4 hours! If you don't have a car, the most convenient alternative is to join an organized tour from Tirana with hotel pickup and drop-off.
Starting from the beautiful Sheshi Liia square, head towards Roman thermal baths and Byzantine forum, testifying to the history of the city. At 5 min you are in front of the Great Mosque.
For lunch, stop at the Rimini Durrës Restorant (€ 15,00).
Continue in the afternoon to discover the Archaeological Museum (9: 00-16: 00, € 2,00), and the ruins of the neighbor castle with the Venetian tower Fatih mosque, andRoman amphitheater.
In the evening, back in Tirana, have dinner in the center of Oda, a traditional Albanian restaurant (€ 8,00)
- Distance traveled: 82,6 km / 1 h 44 min (by car)
- Places visited: Sheshi Liia square (free), Roman Baths (free), Byzantine forum (free), Great Mosque (free), Archaeological Museum (€ 2,00), castle (free), Fatih mosque (free), Roman amphitheater (free) )
- Daily shopping: € 50,00
- Durres tour with local guide Krujë, Prezë Castle and Durres: Apollonia and Durres sites tour: tour from Tirana
- Lunch at Restorant Rimini Durrës (Get directions), Dinner at Traditional Albanian Restaurant (Get directions)
Visit of the city of Berat, historic town and Unesco Heritage, perfect for getting an idea ofRural and authentic Albania. Distance from Tirana 98 km. By car it can be reached in 1 hour and 40 minutes via the Tirana-Elbasan Hwy / A3; the alternative is the train but, between bus changes, frequency of departures and various changes it takes almost 8 hours! If you don't have your own car, the alternative is to join a comfortable organized tour with hotel pickup and drop-off.
Clinging to the hills, on either side of the Osum River, are the neighborhoods of Eat me (Muslim) and di Gorica (historically Christian): a walk in these districts is a must. A few steps away you will find the Lead Mosque.
Have lunch at the Restaurant WilDor (€ 15,00).
Continue with the visit to castle with the remains of the white mosque Orthodox Cathedral of San Demetrius and finally the Gorica bridge, the symbol of this town, one of the oldest and best known Ottoman bridges in Albania.
for price, once back in the capital, stop by the Gusto Bistro (€ 6,00)
- Distance traveled: 226 km / 3 h 51 min (by car)
- Places visited: Mangalemi district (free), Gorica district (free), Lead Mosque (free), cathedral (free), castle (€ 0,75)
- Daily shopping: € 85,00
- Day Trip from Tirana Historical Tour of Berat
- Lunch at Restaurant WilDor (Get directions), Dinner at Gusto Bistro (Get directions)
Trip to Kruja, 38 km away from Tirana and reachable in 1 hour by car via the SH2 and SH52. There is also a bus service that leaves every hour (with change at the airport), costs € 2,00. The alternative is always a comfortable organized tour with a guide in Italian.
There are so many attractions to see in Kruja.
The city is famous for the numerous tekke, Bektashian places of worship and prayer, inherited from the past. A real pilgrimage site is Sarisalltik Tekkè, located in a cave.
The oldest is the Tekkè by Dollma and is in the castle of the city, here is also one of the best known and most visited places: the National Museum of Scanderbeg, a tribute to the story of the national hero of Albania who fought against the Ottomans to the death (10: 00-17: 00, Sunday 9: 00-14: 00, closed Monday, € 2,00).
For lunch we recommend Bar Restorant Merlika (€ 10,00).
Do not miss a tour in Old Bazaar, which began operating about 400 years ago.
And finally, visit the Murad Bey Mosque, built in 1533.
Once back in Tirana in the evening, dine from Markata and Peshkut (€ 17,00)
- Distance traveled: 95 km / 2 h 36 min (by car)
- Places visited: castle (free), Dollma Tekke (free), National Museum of Scanderbeg (€ 2,00), old bazaar, Murad Bey Mosque (free)
- Daily shopping: € 50,00
- Day trip to Kruja and Tirana
- Lunch at Bar Restorant Merlika (Get directions), Dinner at Markata and Peshkut (Get directions)
Visit of Elbasan, an important commercial center on the Via Egnatia which connected Durazzo with Constantinople.
Elbasan is 39 km from Tirana. By car it can be reached in 40 minutes via the Tirana-Elbasan Hwy / A3 and E852 / SH3; the alternative is the train but, between bus changes, frequency of departures and various changes it takes almost 6 hours! Unthinkable for a day trip. If you don't have a car, the alternative is to join an organized tour.
Known by the amusing nickname of "Navel of Albania", in Elbasan we recommend you to walk in the narrow and paved alleys, explore the King Mosque Clock tower, admire the splendid Ottoman houses, and the beautiful castle. Without forgetting the ethnographic museum, (9: 00-14: 30, € 0,80) and the nice theater.
For lunch stop by Il Marchese (€ 5,00).
After lunch, wander through the streets and if you want to know more about one of the salient figures of the Albanian revival, we recommend a visit to the Muzeu Aleksander Xhuvani, dedicated to him.
Upon returning to the capital, dine in the center of Panevino (€ 30,00)
- Distance traveled: 81,6 km / 1 h 39 min (by car)
- Places visited: King's mosque (free), Clock Tower (free), castle (free), ethnographic museum € 0,80), theater (free), Xhuvani museum (free)
- Daily shopping: € 55,00
- Lunch at Il Marchese (Get directions), Dinner at Panevino (Get directions)
Use the last day to finish the visit of Tirana.
Start from Bridge of the Tanners, ancient Ottoman bridge over the Lana river. Heading towards the center (500 meters following an unnamed road), you will find the Cathedral of the Resurrection of Christ and then the St. Paul's Cathedral. A few steps you are in front of the Piramide, a memorial also known as the Enver Hoxha museum.
Then head to the Postblloku (Checkpoint), a memorial to communist isolation conceived as a modern installation.
Have lunch from Era (€ 16,00). After lunch you are in the area to admire the Congress Palace and visit the Archaeological Museum (9:00-16:00, €4,00).
Move south to reach Sheshi Nënë Tereza, a rationalist square named after Mother Teresa of Calcutta.
Finally, finish the day in the neighborhood Blloku, a very lively area full of clubs that represents the awakening of Albania after communism.
Have dinner da Pagus (€ 18,00), the best restaurant in town for pasta and meat.
- Distance traveled: 3,8 km / 48 min
- Places visited: Ponte dei Conciatori (free), cathedral (free), Pyramid (free), Postblloku (Checkpoint), Palazzo dei Congressi (free), Archaeological Museum (€ 4,00), Sheshi Nënë Tereza (free), Blloku (free)
- Daily shopping: € 40,00
- City Walking Tour 3 hour guided walking tour
- Lunch at Era (Get directions), Dinner at Pagus (Get directions)
How much does a week cost in Tirana
NB: The prices expressed in the table above are to be intended "per person".
Certainly Tirana it is one of the economic destinations.
To sleep there are hostels that offer dormitory places for € 10,00 while for eating, the typical taverns offer traditional dishes, abundant and substantial for a few euros.
The attractions are almost always free, and museum tickets are around € 4,00.
The only real flaw is transport, which are in short supply. To make excursions in the surrounding area and visit the beautiful and characteristic still very rural locations, the most convenient solution is to rely on organized toursthe. Otherwise, the alternative is to rent a car (from € 5,00 per day).
- starting from € 50,00 -
- Hotels and b & b from € 15,00
- Krujë City Walking Tour, Prezë Castle and Durres: Berat Sites Tour: Full-Day Tour
- Total cost of a week, flight included: from € 365,00 per person
Before leaving: useful tips
- When to visit Tirana: the climate is similar to that of Rome, with hot and sunny summers and mild and rainy winters. You can therefore go there all year round, it depends on the type of holiday you plan to do - find out more
- Mother Teresa airport (TIA) is served by numerous companies and is 25 km from the center, reachable by taxi € 15,00 / 20,00 or by the Rinas Express bus € 2,00. From various Italian cities, ships leave for Durres (from € 160,00)
- the most comfortable areas are the very central Pazari i Ri and Mujos; Blloku is elegant and is only a 15-minute walk from the center; the Tregu Çam district is also a short walk from the center and there is a high concentration of museums
- Getting around: the best way to get to the center is on foot, we recommend with guided tours. The alternative is buses, efficient and punctual: 20 lines in service from 6:00 to 22:00 at a ridiculously low price of € 0,30. There is no metro service - find out more
Most Interesting Articles
- maldives islands where they are when to go and what to see
- ranking of the most rude countries in the world
- top 10 mafias in the world the richest and most powerful criminal organizations
- the 15 biggest and most beautiful zoos in the world official ranking
- top 10 biggest and most beautiful zoos in europe official ranking