Tenerife is the largest island of the Canaries. With a mild climate, all year round, is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world.
The island, off the west coast of Africa, it really offers numerous attractions, all different, for this reason it can satisfy everyone, young and old, sportsmen, lovers of culture and nature.
You will find postcard views and fantastic beaches, of both black and golden sand, suitable for enjoying a healthy relaxation or for engaging in water sports; in the evening, it is also animated by a lively nightlife which guarantee it fame and status as a favorite destination among younger vacationers. The island is dominated by the highest peak in Spain: the Mount Teide, large and dormant volcano which is part of the homonymous National Park. Among the most famous events, Tenerife is known for Carnaval de Santa Cruz. Here are some info to visit it in just one day.
- One day itinerary in Tenerife: Morning
- One day itinerary in Tenerife: Afternoon
- One day itinerary in Tenerife: Evening
- User questions and comments
One day itinerary in Tenerife: Morning
1 - Plaza de Espana and Casa Carneval in Santa Cruz
Devote half a day to Santa Cruz de Tenerife, the capital of the island and the province of the same name, as well as the largest and most populated city, with 221.956 inhabitants.
Fate breakfast at Bar Cafeteria Continental (€ 2,00) and start your tour.
Taking Calle Aguere, in 15 minutes on foot (or bus n.919 from Fuente Morales), you will reach the House of the Carneval (10:00 - 18:00, free), a very interesting museum on the carnival, a deeply felt and celebrated holiday on the island with costumed parades and colorful allegorical floats. The museum makes a complete excursus on the holiday in an interactive way: from workshops to videos, passing through the wonderful historical costumes.
2 - La Recova Market, Auditorium, Castillo St. Juan Baptista in Santa Cruz
Crossing Av. De San Sebastián, in 5 minutes on foot you will reach the characteristic Municipal Market Our Lady of Africa La Recova, more commonly referred to as La Recova (open until 14pm). Between intoxicating scents and lively colors, you walk among orderly stalls of fruit, vegetables and flowers. But not only that, the inhabitants of the island come here to do their daily shopping. Therefore, fish and meat vendors are also worth seeing. And last but not least, the possibility of taste typical products like hamon or some tasty quaeso.
Then continue on the same and, in about a quarter of an hour, you will find yourself in front of the very particular shape of theTenerife Auditorium, a very modern white structure reminiscent of Sidney Bay. Guided tours are possible inside but, due to lack of time, limit yourself to admire it from the outside. (Monday - Saturday at 10 am-00pm, € 19)
Exactly on the side, the silhouette of the Castillo de San Juan Bautista, also known as Castillo Nigro, a circular defensive fortress overlooking the sea. It is very well preserved but can only be admired from the outside as it is closed to the public.
- Distance traveled: 2,9 km / 36 min
- Places visited: Casa del Carneval (free), Municipal Market Our Lady of Africa La Recova (free), Auditorium (external only), Castillo de San Juan Bautista (external only)
- Puerto de la Cruz: tour from Tenerife
- Where to have breakfast: Bar Cafeteria Continental - Get directions
One day itinerary in Tenerife: Afternoon
1 - San Cristobal de la Laguna: Plaza de Adelantado, Casa Corregidor, Casa de La Alhòndiga, Casa Alvarado, Palacio Lercaro, Nuestra Senora de la Concepcion Church
Spend the afternoon visiting San Cristobal de la Laguna. With a rental car it will take about 15 minutes, otherwise you can choose between buses 15, 102, 103 or 108 from Inetscambiados Santa Cruz and, after 6 stops (20 min) you will be at your destination.
Laguna, as it is more commonly called, is the second largest city in Tenerife, was the first capital of the Canary Islands as well as the first colonial city, not fortified, which has kept intact the original layout of the streets of the fifteenth century. It was declared Cultural Heritage of Humanity by UNESCO in 1999.
Its streets are full of life and clubs, but also of numerous monuments and characteristic buildings of incalculable cultural and historical value.
Have lunch at the Tasca el Tonique, a place where you can taste typical products (fried fish, tortillas, cold cuts) at reasonable prices (€ 15,00) and then stroll around the city admiring: Plaza del Adelantado Corregidor House, one of the oldest buildings in the city, Casa de La Alhòndiga Alvarado house with the nice patio and the Nuestra Senora de la Concepcion Church, whose tower is one of the most representative buildings in the historic center.
2 - San Cristobal de la Laguna: Leal theater, Nuestra Señora de los Remedios Cathedral, former convent of San Agustin
Finish the tour of the lagoon with the Loyal Theater, one of the main cultural spaces of the municipality, the Nuestra Señora de los Remedios Cathedral, important for the splendid altar in Carrara marble.
Keep an eye on the time because, in the late afternoon, and in any case by 16 pm, get a dinner box and take bus n. 45, change in Durazno with n. 103 and in 348 hours you will reach the cable car (€ 2 adults, € 27,00 for minors) to go up to the Teide where you will witness the sunset and spend the evening.
- Distance traveled: 1,7 km / 22 min
- Places visited: San Cristobal de la Laguna (free): plaza de Adelantado, Casa Corregidor, Casa de La Alhòndiga, Casa Alvarado, Palacio Lercaro, Nuestra Senora de la Concepcion church, Leal theater, Nuestra Señora de los Remedios cathedral
- Where to have lunch: Tasca el Tonique - Get directions
One day itinerary in Tenerife: Evening
1 - Sunset and stars on the Teide with dinner
Once you get to the cable car (book your ticket online), get on the Mount Teide (3.718 meters high) and get ready to live a unique and truly exciting experience.
You can undertake the experience independently but, the most comfortable option and that we recommend, is to rely on a local agency. The tours are very convenient as, in addition to the various transfers, they include dinner and stargazing guided by an expert astronomer - book your tour online.
You will have the possibility (depending on your needs) to choose between 2 types of evening excursion: "Mount Teide at sunset" (max 2 hours) or "Teide with dinner and admiring the stars" (max 4 hours). The starting time varies according to the time of sunset (18:00 pm in October and 19:30 pm from June 1st to August 4th).
Generally, the meeting point is at the cable car station, at km 40 of the TF-21 motorway.
The Teide sky is one of the three best on Earth, together with that of Chile and Hawaii, from which it is possible to observe 83 of the 88 officially recognized constellations.
- Duration of the tour: 2-4 h
- Places visited: Mount Teide
- Teide: sunset and stars with optional transfer and dinner Tenerife: Teide Observatory guided tour Teide National Park: star gazing tour
Before leaving: useful tips
- When to go to Tenerife: eternal spring reigns. The island, in fact, boasts an average temperature of 23 degrees and about 300 days of sunshine a year. It can always be visited and from May to October it is also possible to do beach life - for more info
- Getting around: cheap and efficient buses are available. But for a short stay it is better to rent a car to have more autonomy (€ 20,00 per day).
- What to bring in the winter: bring light clothes for the day, a sweater and jacket for the evening, possibly a raincoat or umbrella. To climb Mount Teide, a down jacket, hat, gloves, hiking shoes.
- What to bring in the summer: summer clothes, but also a scarf for the wind, a light sweatshirt, a light jacket for the evening and windy afternoons; comfortable hiking shoes. To climb Mount Teide, hiking shoes, sweatshirt and jacket for the highest altitudes.
What not to see: the attractions that are better to give up
Surely in one day there are many attractions that are given up for lack of time:
- dolphin and whale watching excursion
- Puerto de la Cruz
- La Orotava
- Pyramids of Guimar
- the Palmetum
- Guided tour of the Auditorium of the capital
Most Interesting Articles
- maldives islands where they are when to go and what to see
- ranking of the most rude countries in the world
- top 10 mafias in the world the richest and most powerful criminal organizations
- the 15 biggest and most beautiful zoos in the world official ranking
- top 10 biggest and most beautiful zoos in europe official ranking