Tenerife is an island geographically located in front of Africa, in the Pacific Ocean, and belonging to the Canary Islands. With a population of more than 900 inhabitants, it is thelargest and most populated island of the archipelago and of Spain. The capital is Santa Cruz de Tenerife, which with Las Palmas de Gran Canaria are considered the two capitals of the Canary Islands. The third municipality by number of inhabitants is San Cristobal de La Laguna, recognized as a World Heritage Site. But the island of Tenerife also boasts breathtaking beaches, most of them with black and volcanic sand, then towns with lively nightlife and towns famous for being religious destinations.
Perhaps a week would not be enough to really see everything, but it is enough to make an unforgettable journey full of things to discover and learn. Here what to see in Tenerife in 7 days!
- 1 day
- 2 day
- 3 day
- 4 day
- 5 day
- 6 day
- 7 day
- How much does a week cost in Tenerife
- Before leaving: useful tips
- User questions and comments
The first day you can immediately reach the largest park in the Canary Islands, the Mount Teide National Park, where in the evening you will enjoy the sunset from one of the most spectacular observation points of the mountain. Furthermore, by taking part in an organized evening tour, you will have the opportunity to admire and recognize stars, planets, constellations and astronomical objects located in deep space. The Park is a mandatory stop on the island of Tenerife, it is defined by NASA a "window on the universe", and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The transfer to the National Park leaves in the late afternoon, and pickup is available from the southern part of Tenerife. So, in the morning we can advise you to reach the town of Los Gigantes, located in the southern part of the island, and start the day on one of the many most envied beaches, namely Playa de los Gigantes.
After a few hours reach the town of Puerto de Santiago and have lunch at the Fisherman's Inn fish restaurant, also enjoying the sea view (average cost per person € 25,00).
In the afternoon, before reaching the meeting point of the bus for the Teide National Park, you can take advantage of e browse the streets of the small town of Puerto de Santiago, where in some periods there are few tourists and you have the opportunity to talk to the locals. Here you can admire the beautiful panorama from the Mirador Archipenque and then reach the second panoramic terrace, Vistas de Los Gigantes. At around 18:30 pm, the tour departure time, be found at the chosen point with the guide and get ready to live an incredible experience.
In the evening you will then be at Mount Teide National Park, where you will admire the sunset, the stars, and you will have included dinner in the tour package.
- Distance traveled: 72,2 km / 1 h 33 min by car
- Places visited: Playa de los Gigantes (free), Puerto de Santiago (free), Mirador Archipenque (free), Vistas de Los Gigantes (free), Mount Teide National Park (tour from € 70,00)
- Daily shopping: € 90,00
- Teide National Park: stargazing tour
- lunch at Fisherman's Inn (Get Directions), dinner is included in the guided tour package
For the second day you can reach the city of Santa Cruz de Tenerife, the capital of the island. Located to the north, it boasts one of the most important ports in the Pacific Ocean and with 58 km of coastline has some of the most famous beaches on the island. But not only that, it also boasts cultural centers, museums and art galleries that tell the story of the city.
In the morning we advise you to reach the suggestive Los Llanos promenade, here you will find the Auditorium de Tenerife Adan Martin and the Castillo de San Juan Bautista, both of which can be visited from the outside, within walking distance. The Auditorium is a unique structure, it does not have a real facade but opens towards the outside, both towards the ocean and towards the city.
For lunch you can stop at La Ruta Grill and taste the typical local meat dishes (average cost per person € 20,00).
In the afternoon you reach the Parque Garcia Sanabria, is the green lung of Santa Cruz de Tenerife, the largest park in the Canary Islands, full of exotic plants, statues, fountains and paths to spend your afternoon time.
For dinner you can reach the Italian restaurant Convivio and eat a good pizza (average cost per person € 10,00). For the evening you can reach the center of Santa Cruz, in particular the area of TEA Tenerife Espacio de las Artes, between the market of Nuestra Senora de Africa and the Church of the Conception. In this area you will find cultural centers and museums where you can stroll and admire the city in the evening.
- Distance traveled: 5,2 km / 1 h 5 min
- Places visited: Los Llanos promenade (free), Auditorium de Tenerife Adan Martin (free), Castillo de San Juan Bautista (free), Parque Garcia Sanabria (free), TEA Tenerife Espacio de las Artes (free)
- Daily shopping: € 30,00
- lunch at La Ruta Grill (Get directions), dinner at Convivio (Get directions)
It is the turn of one of the main tourist resorts on the island of Tenerife, namely Puerto de la Cruz, 4 km from La Orotava and just 30 km from the capital Santa Cruz. This town is located along the northern coast and manages to combine art, culture, sea and luxury.
In the morning we advise you to reach the Martianez Lake, anyone who visits this city must make this stage. It is a seawater swimming pool complex with an open-air museum. The park was developed by the artist César Manrique. The ticket price to enter is around € 5,00 and is open every day from 10:00 to 18:00.
For lunch you can stop by La Taberna Del Lago and try their paella (average cost per person € 15,00).
In the afternoon you could opt to visit some local museum, the most important is undoubtedly the Eduardo Westerdahl Museum of Contemporary Art, the first contemporary art museum in Spain. It is open every day from 10:00 to 14:00. Then, located a few steps away, the Bateria de Santa Barbara, an old fortification built to protect the city from pirates and always accessible for a visit. Then enjoy a nice walk along the Puerto Cruz seafront, passing the town's lighthouse and up to Playa Jardin beach. Here you can admire palm trees and long stretches of sand surrounded by colorful botanical gardens. Its name indicates the environment rich in flowers and plant life that surrounds it.
To end the day you can go to the Restaurante Alanda (average cost per person € 10,00).
- Distance traveled: 2,6 km / 33 min
- Places visited: Lago Martianez (€ 5,00), Eduardo Westerdahl Museum of Contemporary Art (€ 2,00), Bateria de Santa Barbara (free), Puerto de la Cruz lighthouse (free), Playa Jardin (free)
- Daily shopping: € 32,00
- lunch at La Taberna Del Lago (Get directions), dinner at Restaurante Alanda (Get directions)
For the fourth day you can visit one of the most fascinating cities of the Canaries, it is located in the northern part of Tenerife, 10 km from Santa Cruz, it is called San Cristobal de la Laguna. It is the third largest municipality by number of inhabitants and is recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
In the morning we recommend that you reach the historic center of this beautiful municipality of Tenerife, a real feast for the eyes characterized by picturesque buildings with colorful facades, villas, shops and cobbled streets. Visit the Catedral De La Laguna, open every day from 8:00 to 20:00 and then follow the narrow streets until you reach the Parque de La Vega, one of the largest green areas in the city. Then arrive at wonderful panoramic terrace Mirador de San Roque, from which to enjoy a beautiful view of all the surroundings.
For lunch, go back to the historic center and stop by La Bourmet (average cost per person € 10,00).
In the afternoon continue with your visit e visit some historical landmarks such as the Casa Montanes and the Museo de Historia de Tenerife which hosts exhibitions on the economic and cultural history of the islands. The cost of the ticket is € 5,00 and is open Sunday and Monday from 10:00 to 17:00 and from Tuesday to Saturday from 9:00 to 20:00.
San Cristoban de la Laguna is a university city and is renowned for its active nightlife, for dinner you can reach Beers, a local bar and grill that offers a great variety of excellent beers and delicious meat dishes (average cost per person € 15,00, ).
- Distance traveled: 4,4 km / 59 min
- Places visited: Catedral De La Laguna, Parque de La Vega, Mirador de San Roque (free), Casa Montanes (free), Casa Salazar (free), Museo de Historia de Tenerife (€ 5,00)
- Daily shopping: € 30,00
- lunch at La Bourmet (Get directions), dinner at Beers (Get directions)
Another stop to do during a holiday on the island of Tenerife is La Orotava, a colonial city located in the northern part, 7 km from Puerto de la Cruz. IS' famous for its Castilian architecture, made up of balconies and internal courtyards.
In the morning we will there we recommend reaching the old part of the city which has its center in the Plaza de la Constitucion, you can admire, among many things, the Jardines del Marquesado de la Quinta Roja in French style, the Jardin Victoria and the Iglesia de San Agustin and the Iglesia de Nuestra Señora de la Concepción.
For lunch, stop at the Italian restaurant La Piazzetta (average cost per person € 10,00).
In the afternoon you might opt for enjoy a few hours of relaxation on the beaches which are not far from the town of La Orotava, about 10 minutes by car. Here are the volcanic sandy beaches of Playa El Bollullo and Playa Los Patos. Divide the afternoon between these two locations.
Once the relaxing afternoon on the beach is over, going up towards the main road, we recommend that you stop for dinner at the Restaurante San Diego (average cost per person € 20,00)
- Distance traveled: 11,2 km / 2 h 28 min
- Places visited: Plaza de la Constitucion (free), Jardines del Marquesado de la Quinta Roja (free), Jardin Victoria (free), Iglesia de San Agustin (free), Iglesia de Nuestra Señora de la Concepción (free), Playa El Bollullo (free) ), Playa Los Patos (free)
- Daily shopping: € 30,00
- lunch at La Piazzetta (Get directions), dinner at Restaurante San Diego (Get directions)
One of the most beautiful activities to do in the Tenerife ocean is to go in search of whales and dolphins. We recommend a beautiful underwater observation tour in search of whales and dolphins, at a cost of € 24,00. The meeting point of the catamaran that will take you along this experience is Puerto Colon, in Playa de la Américas, in the town of Santa Cruz de Tenerife and the departure is at 10:30 and the duration is 2 hours.
In the morning, once you get on board the catamaran, you will sail along the coast next to Adeje, Guia de Isora and Santiago del Teide, where you will have the chance to see schools of lively dolphins and whales from an observation point below the surface of the water. It will be two hours in close contact with nature, an experience that you will not soon forget!
Once back in Puerto Colon, stop for lunch at Harley's American Restaurant & Bar (average cost per person € 15,00).
In the afternoon you can stay in the resort of Costa Adaje, where some water sports are practiced such as surfing, windsurfing, sailing, water skiing and whale watching excursions. Enjoy a walk along the seafront that passes by the beaches of Playa de la Pinta, Playa del Bobo and Playa de Fanabé and then reach Playa del Duque, one of the most beautiful in this area. Here you can relax for a few hours between the large beach and the crystal clear sea.
To dine, always stop in the town of Adeje, perhaps at the La Torre del Mirador restaurant, where you can enjoy a fish-based dinner with a beautiful view of the sea (average cost per person € 30,00)
- Distance traveled: 3,2 km / 40 min
- Places visited: Puerto Colon (free), dolphin and whale watching tour (€ 24,00), Playa de la Pinta (free), Playa del Bobo (free), Playa de Fanabé (free), Playa del Dunque (free)
- Daily shopping: € 70,00
- whale and dolphin watching underwater tour
- lunch at Harley's American Restaurant & Bar (Get directions), dinner at La Torre del Mirador (Get directions)
For the last day on the beautiful island of Tenerife you could visit the town of Candelaria, located along the north-eastern coast, about 20 km south of the capital. Main destination of religious tourism, the city is wrapped in the legend of the apparition of the Madonna to two shepherds in 1390. The faithful from all over the world come to this town for the rich presence of important and symbolic churches.
In the morning we advise you to reach the large Basilica de Nuestra Senora de Candelaria, located directly on the sea with characteristic and very colorful frescoes inside. It is open every day from 7:30 to 19:30, except on Mondays which opens at 15:00. Not far away is the small Iglesia de Santa Ana. While at the Plaza de la Patrona de Canarias they can be admired the statues of the 9 native kings of Tenerife.
You can have lunch at En Ca 'Pepa, located in the nerve center of Candelaria, which serves delicious sandwiches, cutting boards and salads (average cost per person € 10,00).
This location, as well as a religious destination, is also a destination for lovers of the sea. In the afternoon enjoy a nice walk along the promenade and get to Playa Candelaria Maritza y Javi beach, near Playa de las Arenas, and enjoy your last relaxing afternoon.
Finally, for dinner you can go to Cofradia Pescadores candelaria and try their dishes based on very fresh fish (average cost per person € 20,00).
- Distance traveled: 2,7 km / 35 min
- Places visited: Basilica de Nuestra Senora de Candelaria (free), Iglesia de Santa Ana (free), Plaza de la Patrona de Canarias (free), Estatuas De Los Menceyes (free), Playa Candelaria Maritza y Javi (free)
- Daily shopping: € 30,00
- lunch at En Ca 'Pepa (Get directions), dinner at Cofradia Pescadores candelaria (Get directions)
How much does a week cost in Tenerife
NB: The prices expressed in the table above are to be intended "per person".
Tenerife offers many low cost possibilities, from restaurants, to hotels and B & Bs. It is in fact a perfect destination for any type of budget! For transport it is more convenient, and also economical, rent a car to be able to move freely where and when you want within the island. In this way, you can reach even the most distant beaches. The cost for a week is approximately € 100,00. The bus network is efficient, but you will have to pay attention to the timetables and you will waste more time moving around.
- starting from € 100,00 -
- Hotel and b & b starting from € 75,00 per room -
- Teide National Park panoramic tour north Tenerife: Tapas, Mojo and wine tasting tour by bus and scenic train
- Total cost of a week, flight included: from € 690,00 per person
Before leaving: useful tips
- When to visit Tenerife: pleasant temperatures all year round, the island does not know winter. The ideal period is between April and June and between September and October, with low risk of rain and excessive summer heat - find out more
- by plane to Reina Sofia, along the southern coast of the island, 60 km from the capital Santa Cruz. From here you can reach the island by bus, taxi or, more conveniently, by renting a car
- the ideal place is Santa Cruz. In addition to the beautiful sea, it offers cultural activities, museums, historical places where, and here there are hotels and B & Bs for all needs. For a more peaceful holiday, Puerto de Santiago is ideal, a little touristy place where you can get in touch with the locals
- Getting around: the island is easy to get around both by public transport and by car. There is no shortage of buses and also make long distances. Fares vary, the cost of the ticket to move from one city to another is about € 9,00. Car rental is convenient, easy to drive (smooth traffic and wide carriageways), you will spend around € 100,00 for a week