Taormina is one of the most sought-after summer tourist destinations by tourists from all over the world.
Located in the province of Messina and bathed by the Ionian Sea, the locality is full of charm, of historical monuments, of natural beauty, of restaurants where you can taste the specialties of Sicilian cuisine and places where you can spend unforgettable evenings.
Small jewel with characteristic views and colors of southern Italy, here's what to see in Taormina if you only have one day!
- One day itinerary in Taormina: Morning
- One day itinerary in Taormina: Afternoon
- One day itinerary in Taormina: Evening
- User questions and comments
One day itinerary in Taormina: Morning
1 - isola bella beach, Isola Bella
Start the day having breakfast with typical Sicilian sweets from Bar Oasi Isola Bella (€ 5,50) and then spend the rest of the morning in the name of the sea and relaxation, then head towards the Isola Bella beach.
To get there you can use the car, leaving it in the free parking lots or in the paid areas (€ 10,00 all day), or board the cable car, which leaves from the center of Taormina (Via Pirandello 22), and leaves in a few minutes right on Isola Bella, the islet which is connected to the mainland by a thin strip of sand (ticket cost € 3,00).
2 - Isolabella Regional Naturalistic Museum, Blue Grotto, Grotta della Conchiglia
Isola Bella beach it is the ideal destination both for those who want to relax in the sun and for those who want to explore the natural beauties of the Ionian Sea.
On the shore you will find several boats offering trips to discover the surrounding areas, take advantage of it (starting from € 10,00).
You will have the opportunity to set sail and visit the Blue Grotto, with amazing colors, the Grotta della Conchiglia, near Capo Taormina, and you can also visit the Regional Naturalistic Museum of Isolabella (€ 4,00, open from 09: 00/18: 00, closed on Mondays).
- Distance traveled: 400 m / 5 min
- Places visited: Isola Bella beach (free), boat trip (from € 10,00), Isolabella Regional Naturalistic Museum (€ 4,00)
- Where to have breakfast: Bar Oasi Isola Bella - Get directions
One day itinerary in Taormina: Afternoon
1 - Greek Theater
For lunch, head towards the center and stop at the I Giardini di Babilonia restaurant, a place where you can enjoy excellent fish in the garden (around € 32,00) and then go to the most important historical attraction in Taormina: the Greek Theater.
Built by the ancient Greeks in the third century BC, the theater is one of the most beautiful historic buildings in Sicily, where you can admire the landscape on the Ionian coast and imagine the shows staged by the ancient Greeks in those places (€ 8,00, 9: 00-19: 00).
2 - Historic Center
Spend the rest of the afternoon walking in the historic center and take advantage of the visit to the Covaja Palace, where you will find ceramics and artifacts from the city of Caltagirone on display, along with other works on the history of Sicily in the 2,60th century (€ 09, 00: 20-00: ).
To fully breathe the most authentic air of Taormina, take a stroll along Corso Umberto, the historic street, which also represents its identity: small shops, boutiques, bars, restaurants, but also ancient squares and churches all to visit.
Enter the beautiful Church of St. Joseph, in Baroque style dating back to the end of the 600th century (free, 8: 30-20: 00) and then enjoy the sunset from the panoramic terrace of Piazza IX Aprile overlooked by the Cathedral of Taormina.
- Distance traveled: 1,2 km / 17 min
- Places visited: Ancient Theater, Palazzo Corvaja, Corso Umberto (free), Church of San Giuseppe (free), Piazza IX Aprile (free)
- Greek Theatre
- Where to have lunch: Gardens of Babylon - Get Directions
One day itinerary in Taormina: Evening
1 - Dinner, Historic Center
For dinner, take a seat at the tables on the terrace with a panoramic view of the Vicolo Stretto restaurant, in the historic center (€ 35,00). After dinner, relax walking through the streets crowded with tourists, stop to eat some tasty granita and then to end the day treat yourself to a cocktail with music and DJ set at the Morgana Lounge Bar, one of the trendiest clubs in Taormina (€ 16,00) .
- Distance traveled: 93 m / 2 min
- Places visited: historic center of Taormina (free)
- Where to dine: Vicolo Stretto - Get directions
Before leaving: useful tips
- How to reach Taormina: by car via the A18 motorway (50 minutes from Catania and 45 from Messina). The reference airport is Catania-Fontanarossa, flights from € 46,00 (connected to Taormina by bus, travel time 1 h and 25 min)
- Getting around: can be visited on foot, in particular the historic center. To reach the beach there is the cable car (€ 3,00) or buses (€ 1,50) that depart from Porta Messina or Porta Catania (runs until 01:00 in the summer)
- Where to park: in the city there are three public pay car parks, Lumbi Parking, Porta Catania Parking and Porta Pasquale Parking (daily rate about € 15,00 / 16,00)
- Best time: summer, from June to August to make the most of the sea
- Clothing: in summer, light cotton clothing and comfortable shoes, hats and sunscreen are recommended
What not to see: the attractions that are better to give up
- Palazzo Duchi di Santo Stefano, due to lack of time
- Madonna della Rocca Church, due to lack of time
- Villa Comunale and the gardens, due to lack of time
- Volcano Etna, because the visit takes at least half a day
Most Interesting Articles
- ranking of the most rude countries in the world
- top 10 biggest and most beautiful zoos in europe official ranking
- the 15 biggest and most beautiful zoos in the world official ranking
- top 10 mafias in the world the richest and most powerful criminal organizations
- maldives islands where they are when to go and what to see