Santorini is a volcanic island, so much so that his particular semicircular shape is the result of a series of eruptions occurred over time.
In 5 days it is possible to visit the signs of these eruptions, present on the black and red rock of the western part of the coast, where Fira, Firostefani, Imerovigli and Oia are located. And it is also possible to go to the opposite side of the island, where there are Perissa and Kamari, the famous black beaches.
Here what to see in Santorini in 5 days!
- 1 day
- 2 day
- 3 day
- 4 day
- 5 day
- How much does it cost 5 days in Santorini
- Before leaving: useful tips
- User questions and comments
Get to know Santorini starting from its capital, Fira, the city overlooking the sea.
Start at the Archaeological Museum, the ticket costs € 3,00 and closes at 16:00. Here there are curious historical finds, as well as a volcanic rock weighing 480 kg. Now go up and up admire the catholic cathedral dedicated to San Giovanni Battista: it is a cream and white building, with the blue of the sea in the distance.
Now enjoy a good one lunch at the Salt & Pepper restaurant, where you can enjoy a Greek salad or some grilled meat (cost € 8,00 - € 15,00).
Once finished, go north, ad Imerovigli, precisely to the chapel of Panagia Theoskepasti, built on a rock. You can walk there in 40 minutes, or take a bus (€ 1,80). Characteristic is the white church with blue domes, a wonderful spectacle close to the Aegean Sea.
Keep walking on the caldera and say there a few minutes you reach the fortress of Skaros, once a refuge for pirates. From here admire the sunset: the sunlight illuminates the boats returning to the port, a truly unique experience.
Walk to the Athenian House in 10 minutes, where you can enjoy the Greek cuisine with good wine (starting from € 35,00).
- Distance traveled: 3,7 km / 1 h 7 min
- Places visited: Cathedral (free), Archaeological Museum of Santorini (€ 3,00), Panagia Theoskepasti (free), Skaros Fortress (free)
- Daily shopping: € 48,00
- Santorini: 5-hour private sightseeing tour with host
- Lunch at Salt & Pepper (Get directions), Dinner at Athenian House (Get directions)
The village of Oia belongs to the imagination of the whole Santorini thanks to white houses with blue domes!
Getting there is easy, just take a bus from Fira (€ 1,80), and from here you can easily get around on foot. One of the first places to see is certainly there spectacular church of Panagia Platsani, followed by one of the most beautiful bookstores in the world: theAtlantis Book.
At the time of lunch, get closer to eat towards Ammoudi, then stop by Dimitri Ammoudi Taverna, where you can sit a stone's throw from the sea (from € 22,00).
After having refreshed, reach on foot the stony beach of Ammoudi, going down 300 steps (alternatively rent a practical scooter): the cliff with its red shades and the crystal clear water dominates the landscape in an absolute way.
If you want to enjoy a sunset with the most historical notes, then go up towards ruins of the castle of Oia, in a quarter of an hour you will be in front of the Byzantine castle from where you can watch the explosion of colors at the end of the day.
For price there is nothing better than stopping for a nice plate of squid or moussaka sitting at the tables of Kastro, the restaurant overlooking the sea near the ruins (starting from € 25,00).
- Distance traveled: 1,7 km / 34 min
- Places visited: Panagia Platsani (free), Atlantis Book (free), Ammoudi (free), Oìa castle (free)
- Daily shopping: € 48,00
- Santorini: sunset wine tour in Oia
- lunch at Dimitri Ammoudi Taverna (Get directions); dinner at Kastro (Get directions)
Dedicated day discovering Akrotiri.
The history of this village is very fascinating: it was buried by the volcanic eruption of 1628, only to come back to light with the excavations of 1957. The ash and dust have preserved unique finds, which you can visit in person, so the first stop is the archaeological site, open until 20:00 (ticket € 5,00).
Outside the excavations, treat yourself to a lunch in one of the seaside restaurants, a 5-minute walk away: the Asterias (from € 35,00).
We dedicate the afternoon to visit a series of super colored beaches (reachable with a rental vehicle such as scooter, quad or boat).
The most comfortable and fastest solution is the boat (€ 10,00), which sails from the village port and takes you first to the Red Beach and then to the White and Black beach. The names speak for themselves and each color is an experience in itself.
Surely from the boat you will have noticed the beautiful in the distance Akrotiri lighthouse: that's where you need to go to see the sunset. The lighthouse can also be reached in 40 minutes on foot from Black Beach (or rent a quad bike).
For price, stop to eat 30 m from the lighthouse, sitting at the tables of the spartan but particular Taverna Giorgaros (€ 20).
- Distance traveled: 16,0 km / 46 min (by car)
- Places visited: excavations of Akrotiri (€ 5,00), Red, White and Black Beach (€ 10,00 by boat), Akrotiri Lighthouse (free)
- Daily shopping: € 70,00
- Akrotiri: private tour and visit to 3 wineries with tasting
- lunch at Asterias (Get directions); dinner at Taverna Giorgaros (Get directions)
In Santorini there is a village built by the Venetians in 1400: is Pyrgos, is located on top of a hill and is characterized by labyrinthine streets.
The most famous place to visit is the Monastery of the Prophet Elijah, which is located 4 km from the village, at the highest point, 560 meters high. You can reach it by car in a few minutes and enjoy the 360 ° view of the entire island.
Back in the center, pass in front of the medieval castle of Pyrgos, and then enter theArt Space Museum Winery Art Gallery. Entrance to the gallery, built into the pumice rock, is free, and at the end of the tour you can taste local wines from € 5,00.
For the lunch walk to the small tavern The Chatíri-at Kostas (€ 20,00), and then drive to Kamari, the black beach a few km from Pyrgos. The environment here is definitely quieter than the other beaches on the island, in fact it is the favorite destination for families. This beach is 2 km long, and at the numerous establishments it is possible to practice different activities, from water sports to diving.
Stroll along the seafront, where there are several bars, shops, boutiques of various kinds and around sunset time sit at the tables of the Elia restaurant (from € 25,00): a refined place to end the day in peace.
- Distance traveled: 11,7 km / 34 min (by car)
- Places visited: Prophet Elias Monastery (free), Pyrgos Castle (free), Art Space Museum Winery Art Gallery (€ 5,00), Kamari Beach (free)
- Daily shopping: € 55,00
- Santorini: Mesa Gonia, Pyrgos and Oia tour
- lunch at The Chatíri-at Kostas (Get Directions); dinner at Elia (Get directions)
The last day we go discovering Megalochori, a picturesque village 9 km from Fira. In the center of the village you can take a nice walk, during which you will be captured by the splendid bell tower of Megalochori, in the shape of a white and beige arch. Take advantage now of a tour at the Symposion by la Ponta, a cellar where you can taste wines with traditional musical accompaniment (from € 10,00).
For lunch stop by Petrino, a small restaurant right next to the cellar (from € 30,00). Stroll through the small streets and the wooden houses of the village and then get ready for another spectacular view of the island, or rather of its heart: about 15 minutes walk from Megalochori, towards the sea, there is a rock with a heart-shaped gash, through which the horizon is visible.
The rock is known, not surprisingly, with the name "The Heart of Santorini". It goes without saying that watching the sunset from there is a great way to say hello to an island that was easy to fall in love with.
Late in the evening go back to the small village and enjoy one price in a family-run tavern, Geromanolis (from € 30,00), so that you can once again feel at home.
- Distance traveled: 1,9 km / 27 min
- Places visited: Megalochori (free), Symposion by la pota (€ 10,00), The heart of Santorini (free)
- Daily shopping: € 70,00
- Santorini: Megalochori Village Tour and Wine Tasting
- Where to eat Lunch at Petrino (Get directions), Dinner at Geromanolis (Get directions)
How much does it cost 5 days in Santorini
NB: The costs expressed in the table above are to be intended per person.
Santorini is certainly a very popular destination, especially in summer. By booking well in advance you can find low cost airline tickets at very affordable prices, and there are several Italian airports connected to the island, both with direct flights and with stopovers.
Booking the hotel well in advance means saving considerably, or you can opt for less touristy areas, such as Kamari and Perissa, where accommodation is cheaper, without having to give up the beauty of the beaches.
- starting from € 78,00 -
- Hotel and b & b starting from € 60,00 per room -
- Traditional bus tour in Santorini with sunset in Oia Santorini Small group Tour with wine tasting Santorini: luxury catamaran cruise with meal
- Total cost of 5 days, flight included: Return flight + 5 days / 4 nights from € 390,00 per person -
Before leaving: useful tips
- When to visit Santorini: from the end of April to June if you want to avoid the crowds of tourists, to fully enjoy the beach, however, the best time is summer - for more info on the climate
- There are several direct flights from Italy to Santorini and by booking well in advance you can find affordable prices (starting from € 60,00). The small airport is 7 km from Fira, the island's capital, to which it is connected by direct buses. Tickets cost around € 1,80 and the journey takes 20 minutes - Flights to Thira from € 78,00 -
- the best areas to stay are in the west of the island, or in Fira or Oia (quite expensive). If you want to stay close to the beaches, you need to move east, on the opposite side, where Perissa and Kamari are (where the prices are slightly lower)
- Getting around: the island is very small, the main areas could be visited entirely on foot. However, in the high season it is particularly hot, so it is better to travel by bus (ticket cost € 1,80, night € 2,50). You can opt for car rental, or even better than a scooter, to move more easily between the small uphill roads (daily rental price starting from € 25,00 - € 15,00) - for more info
- Recommended cards and passes: Traditional Santorini Bus Tour with Sunset in Oia Santorini: Catamaran Cruise with Meal and Drinks
Most Interesting Articles
- maldives islands where they are when to go and what to see
- ranking of the most rude countries in the world
- top 10 mafias in the world the richest and most powerful criminal organizations
- the 15 biggest and most beautiful zoos in the world official ranking
- top 10 biggest and most beautiful zoos in europe official ranking