Rimini means Riviera Romagnola, beaches, discos, entertainment. Are you sure that Rimini can only be reduced to these clichés? Obviously not, and this itinerary proves it.
Behind the stereotype of a city intended only for summer holidays, it hides a rich history, which has left several traces of the intertwining of peoples and cultures that have crossed it. Rimini was founded by the Romans who snatched it from the Gauls; later the ancient Ariminum became an increasingly important center, from which the Romans started two fundamental arteries such as the Via Flaminia (which connects it with Rome, still today) and the Via Emilia (which connects Rimini with Piacenza).
After the Romans there were Byzantines, Lombards, Malatesta and Venetians, all populations whose traces are still perfectly visible today and recognizable in the different city architectures and major attractions. Have we intrigued you? Here is theitinerary to explore the city of Rimini in just one day.
- One day itinerary in Rimini: Morning
- One day itinerary in Rimini: Afternoon
- One day itinerary in Rimini: Evening
- User questions and comments
One day itinerary in Rimini: Morning
1 - Arch of Augustus
As soon as you arrive in the city and near the center, you will find the Slow Bar, in Via Aurelio Bertola 52, where you can have breakfast with an average cost of € 6,00. Your walk can start fromArch of Augustus, which appears in the list of best preserved arches in Italy. It dates back to the year 27 BC in honor of the Emperor Caesar Augustus, whose name it bears. Those coming from the Via Flaminia, to enter the city, had to go through this gate. During the Middle Ages, the Arch was further enriched by one crenellated top.
2 - Piazza dei Tre Martiri and Rimini Cathedral
Past the Arch and continuing straight, you will reach Square of the Three Martyrs which, in Roman times, was the Forum of the city. The square is dedicated to three partisans who, in 1944, were hanged here. A short distance away is the Rimini Cathedral, known by all as Malatesta Temple. Its construction began in 1447, commissioned by Sigismondo Pandolfo Malatesta, with function of temple in honor of the noble Malatesta family. On the same site stood the ancient church of Santa Maria in Trivio, which later became the Church of San Francesco in the Middle Ages, as evidenced by some frescoes (the crucifix by Giotto) still present in the Cathedral.
- Distance traveled: 700 m / 8 min
- Places visited: Arch of Augustus, Piazza dei Tre Martiri, Tempio Malatestiano (free)
- 2,5 hour private guided tour with local guide
- Where to have breakfast: Bar Lento, Via Aurelio Bertola 52
One day itinerary in Rimini: Afternoon
1 - Piazza Cavour and Pescheria Vecchia
You cannot visit Rimini without it taste the typical piadina. You can take advantage of the lunch time to taste this specialty, so we recommend you The Piada of the Center, in Via Castelfidardo 60, for an average cost of € 12,00. Returning to Piazza Tre Martiri, take Corso Augusto and go straight to Piazza Cavour, where the headquarters of the Commune of Rimini, Galli Theater, the statue of Paul V and the Fountain of the Pigna. On one side of the square you can see a porticoed building that houses the Old fish market, once a very important place for the city.
2 - Castel Sismondo, Porta Montanara, Bridge of Augustus and Tiberius
Just 4 minutes walk is located Castel Sismondo, a fortress that also served as a residence for Sigismondo Pandolfo Malatesta. It is partly open to visitors and periodically hosts cultural events and exhibitions organized by the Municipality. Not far away, crossed the Montanara Gate, head to the Bridge of Augustus and Tiberius, so called precisely because its construction was begun in 14 AD by the first and finished by the second in 21 AD This bridge overlooks the Marecchia river and anciently served as a link between Ariminum and the various suburbs.
3 - Village of San Giuliano
Immediately after the bridge you will find an old fishing village, known as Village of San Giuliano. It is a very suggestive part of the city, as it exudes an authentic and unaltered character. Furthermore, this village was the birthplace of the great director Federico Fellini.
- Distance traveled: 2,1 km / 26 min
- Places visited: Piazza Cavour, Pescheria Vecchia (free), Castel Sismondo (€ 2,00), Porta Montanara, Bridge of Augustus and Tiberius, Borgo di San Giuliano (free)
- Where to have lunch: The Piada del Centro, Via Castelfidardo 60
One day itinerary in Rimini: Evening
1 - Porto, free beach and dinner
Late afternoon is the ideal time to go by the sea, along the Marecchia and heading towards the port and the free beach of Rimini, also passing in front of the city lighthouse. If you choose a season that is not very popular with tourists, you will be able to fully enjoy the beauty of the sea, the breaking of the waves and the fragrant air. As a last stop we recommend the Taverna Degli Artisti restaurant, in Viale Vespucci 1, for an average cost of € 30,00.
- Distance traveled: 2,2 km / 27 min
- Places visited: Port and free beach of Rimini (free)
- Where to dine: Taverna Degli Artisti, Viale Vespucci 1
Before leaving: useful tips
- Weather: throughout the Romagna Riviera the climate is semi-continental, characterized by quite cold winters, and hot and sunny summers, sometimes muggy but tempered by the breeze.
- Best time: even if you can think of reserving a day during your holiday on the Riviera to visit the city, the most suitable period for a trip is spring, from April to May.
- Prices: in order to find more accessible prices, the low season is recommended, i.e. the autumn and winter months.
- If you decide to extend your visit to enjoy Rimini by night, take a look at our accommodation offers.
What not to see: the attractions that are better to give up
- Rimini City Museum. It is part of the municipal museums with the Surgeon's House and the Ethnographic Museum of the Looks, they are all very interesting places but there is no time to visit them in a single day in the city.
Most Interesting Articles
- top 10 biggest and most beautiful zoos in europe official ranking
- ranking of the most rude countries in the world
- maldives islands where they are when to go and what to see
- top 10 mafias in the world the richest and most powerful criminal organizations
- the 15 biggest and most beautiful zoos in the world official ranking