Ravenna is a historical, artistic and cultural city, in which there are churches, monuments and museums really interesting for fans of these topics. One day to visit it all may not be enough, but we have prepared a one-day itinerary that will make you visit at least the main attractions. Find out then what to see in Ravenna in one day!
- One day itinerary in Ravenna: Morning
- One day itinerary in Ravenna: Afternoon
- One day itinerary in Ravenna: Evening
- User questions and comments
One day itinerary in Ravenna: Morning
1 - Mausoleum and Theodoric Park
First, before you start walking around the city, it is recommended to have a nice breakfast. We recommend the Thelma & Louise Mokador bar, with its wide choice of croissants and its good coffee or cappuccino. Prices are moderate (around € 3,50 per person) and it is also near the first attraction you are going to visit
Immediately after head to the Mausoleum of Theodoric, a large monument full of Byzantine mosaics inside and, once the visit of the interiors is over, don't miss the beautiful park all around.
2 - Mausoleum of Galla Placidia and Domus of the Stone Carpets
Move now, on foot or by bus 5, to the Mausoleum of Galla Placidia, another interesting funeral building but with a more squared shape and interiors of indisputable beauty given to him by his particular mosaics.
From there, walk for 2 minutes and you will reach the Domus dei Tappeti di Pietra, an incredible underground space also rich in mosaics, but this time all along the pavement.
- Distance traveled: 2,3 km / 29 min
- Places visited: Mausoleum and Park of Theodoric, Mausoleum of Galla Placidia and Domus of the Stone Carpets
- Tour of the Byzantine mosaics and local flavors of Ravenna
- Where to have breakfast: Thelma & Louise Mokador, Via delle Industrie 52 - Get directions
One day itinerary in Ravenna: Afternoon
1 - Dante's Tomb and Dante Museum
After the first part of the morning you can reach in about 5 minutes on foot the restaurant where we recommend you stop for lunch, the Gustavo Bizantino. We thought of a quick meal given the many things to visit in the afternoon so if you are in Romagna, what's better than a flatbread? The choice is wide and with only € 8,00 per person you will enjoy a filling lunch. Immediately after, get back on the road!
2 minutes away are Dante's Tomb and the Dante Museum, obviously dedicated to the Supreme Poet who lived in Ravenna his last years, in which you will find his remains and paintings, busts and objects that belonged to the poet.
2 - Rasponi Crypt, Hanging Gardens and Basilica of Sant'Apollinare Nuovo
In the immediate vicinity of the two structures dedicated to Dante Alighieri, there are the Rasponi Crypt and the Hanging Gardens of the Palazzo della Provincia. This is the chapel of the Rasponi family, whose peculiarity is the mosaic floor on which various animals were depicted. As for the gardens, you can admire some hanging structures and a central fountain that enriches the whole.
Immediately after, walk for 5 minutes towards the Basilica of Sant'Apollinare Nuovo, one of the most important churches in Ravenna, in which the remains of Apollinare, the first bishop of Ravenna, and other sumptuous and beautiful mosaics are kept.
- Distance traveled: 1,4 km / 17 min
- Places visited: Dante's Tomb, Dante Museum, Rasponi Crypt, Hanging Gardens and Basilica of Sant'Apollinare Nuovo
- Private guided tour of Ravenna with access to the monuments
- Where to have lunch: Gustavo Bizantino, Via Angelo Mariani 12 - Get directions
One day itinerary in Ravenna: Evening
1 - Dinner and Piazza del Popolo
Another short walk and you reach the Osteria dei Battibecchi, the ideal place to enjoy a typical dinner Romagna accompanied by a good wine, in a rustic and informal environment with average prices (about € 20,00 per person).
Once you have finished dinner, Piazza del Popolo is a 2-minute walk away, one of the main squares in the city of immense charm e with several night clubs in which to spend the rest of the evening.
- Distance traveled: 160 m / 2 min
- Places visited: Piazza del Popolo
- Where to dine: Osteria dei Battibecchi, Via della Tesoreria Vecchia 16 - Get directions
Before leaving: useful tips
- Best time: from April to September
- City Card: Romagna Visit Card for free or discounted access to the city's monuments
- How to get around: Romagna SmartPass for 3 or 7 days to use public transport without limits
- Clothing: We recommend that you dress in layers and bring comfortable shoes with you
What not to see: the attractions that are better to give up
A single day is not enough to visit a city rich in monuments and attractions such as Ravenna. Unfortunately you will have to give up something and, while everything is undoubtedly beautiful and attractive, some things would require too much of your precious time to be visited, especially due to the movements that would have to be made to reach them.
- Sant'Apollinare in Classe
- Archaeological Park of Classe
- Safari Ravenna
Most Interesting Articles
- maldives islands where they are when to go and what to see
- ranking of the most rude countries in the world
- top 10 mafias in the world the richest and most powerful criminal organizations
- the 15 biggest and most beautiful zoos in the world official ranking
- top 10 biggest and most beautiful zoos in europe official ranking