Ravenna is the perfect city for lovers of history, art and culture, especially Byzantine. Being rich in monuments, we recommend that you dedicate at least three days to visit most of the attractions or at least the main ones. If you don't know where to start, here is an itineratio that contains the things to see in Ravenna in 3 days!
- 1 day
- 2 day
- 3 day
- User questions and comments
Morning: Breakfast, Mausoleum and Theodoric Park
The first day will be immediately intense and full of walking, so first of all we suggest a good breakfast at Thelma & Louise Mokador bar where you can choose between different types of croissants and enjoy a good coffee or cappuccino at the modest price of about € 3,50 per person. The bar is also located near the first two attractions you are going to visit, the Mausoleum of Theodoric and its park. The Mausoleum of Theodoric is a large funeral monument built for the Emperor Theodoric with interiors rich in Byzantine mosaics. The park, on the other hand, is a large and beautiful garden that extends all around which we strongly advise you not to give up.
Afternoon: Lunch, Mausoleum of Galla Placidia and Basilica of San Vitale
After the long visit of the Mausoleum and the park it will be already lunch time, so move to the historic center (on foot or by bus 5) where we suggest you stop at Piadina Cupido Ravenna to enjoy a quick meal, typical of Romagna and cheap. Cappelletti, tortelli, lasagna, wraps, rolls and much more of own production for about € 7,00 per person.
From there you are already close to the next two attractions. Start from Mausoleum of Galla Placidia, another interesting funeral building but with a more square shape and interiors rich in mosaics. After the visit, head towards the Basilica of San Vitale, which you will find in the immediate vicinity, a Church with a particular and artistic external structure, with religious-themed mosaics scattered throughout the interior.
Evening: Dinner and Piazza del Popolo
For dinner we have chosen another typical place for you, because we know that Romagna cuisine is vast and probably these three days will not be enough for you to taste everything! The restaurant is called Al Cairoli, is located in the historic center, serves fresh pasta, ragù, wraps, tigelle, local cold cuts and cheeses, all at a good price. In fact, we speak of about € 20,00 per person to eat two dishes plus dessert. Immediately after dinner, 1 minute walk, you will reach Piazza del Popolo, one of the main squares of Ravenna, large, beautiful and with several evening clubs in which to have a drink and spend the evening.
- Distance traveled: 3 km / 37 min
- Places visited: Mausoleum of Theodoric (€ 4,00), Park of Theodoric (free), Mausoleum of Galla Placidia (€ 9,50), Basilica of San Vitale (€ 9,50), Piazza del Popolo (free)
- Ravenna: tour of Byzantine mosaics and local flavors
- Breakfast at Thelma & Louise Mokador (Get directions), Lunch at Piadina Cupido Ravenna (Get directions), Dinner at Al Cairoli (Get directions)
Morning: Breakfast, Basilica of Sant'Apollinare Nuovo and Neonian Baptistery
Another busy day is expected, full of visits and walking, so before starting, don't miss a good breakfast. This time we show you the Bar Caffè Farini with its wide choice of croissants and desserts of all kinds and its perfect cappuccino at very cheap prices. From there you are already within walking distance of the attractions planned for the morning. Start with Basilica of Sant'Apollinare Nuovo, the Church of Ravenna which houses the remains of the first bishop of the city, Apollinare, in which there are obviously many other beautiful and sumptuous mosaics. Then continue with the Neonian Baptistery, about 10 minutes away on foot, a building that takes the name of the bishop Neone which followed the work, in which there are other famous Byzantine mosaics.
Afternoon: Lunch, Dante's Tomb, Dante Museum and Domus of the Stone Carpets
For lunch time we suggest the Ca 'de Vèn restaurant where you can choose whether to have a quick meal or a full meal. The restaurant serves all kinds of wraps but also first and second courses, desserts and local wines, for a bill that barely touches € 15,00 per person. 1 minute away you will find it immediately Dante's Tomb and the Dante Museum, dedicated to the Supreme Poet who lived in Ravenna in his last years. Here you will find, in addition to the remains of Dante Alighieri, also paintings, busts and objects of various kinds that belonged to him. At the end of the visit, head towards the Domus dei Tappeti di Pietra, about 10 minutes from there, an underground space full of mosaics, this time, however, scattered all over the floor and with perfect geometric shapes.
Evening: Dinner and Public Gardens
To vary, for dinner we recommend a good pizzeria, Pizzeria Dal Gladiatore, with its own great pizza at average prices (about € 10,00 per person). After dinner, head towards the Public Gardens where you can stroll through its tree-lined and illuminated avenues, perhaps stopping in the bar that you will find inside the gardens to drink one of its excellent drinks and spend the rest of the evening in complete relaxation.
- Distance traveled: 4,3 km / 53 min
- Places visited: Basilica of Sant'Apollinare Nuovo (€ 9,50), Neonian Baptistery (€ 9,50), Dante's Tomb (free), Dante Museum (€ 3,00), Domus of the Stone Carpets (€ 4,00) and Public Gardens (free)
- Ravenna: private guided tour with access to monuments
- Breakfast at Bar Caffè Farini (Get directions), Lunch at Ca 'de Vèn Restaurant (Get directions), Dinner at Pizzeria Dal Gladiatore (Get directions)
Morning: Breakfast and Basilica of Sant'Apollinare in Classe
The last day will be less demanding than the others, but for this morning's visit it will be necessary to move to Classe, which you can easily reach by car, by train in 10 minutes or by bus 4 in 20 minutes starting from the Ravenna FS stop located right in front of the station. Before leaving, however, make a short stop at the Caffè degli Artisti, which you will find near the station, for a good breakfast with excellent coffee, a great choice of croissants and brioches and cheap prices. Once you arrive at your destination, start your visit to the Basilica of Sant'Apollinare in Classe, the huge church where the remains of the bishop Apollinare were kept before being transferred to the basilica visited the previous day. Inside a series of large arches and sumptuous religious-themed mosaics they will leave you speechless!
Afternoon: Lunch, Classe Archaeological Park and City Art Museum
After the visit to the basilica, move to the Archaeological Park of Classe. If you are not by car you can do it with bus 4 which will take you to your destination in 15 minutes. Once you arrive, head first to the nearby restaurant La Piadina di Angelo where you can have a quick meal for less than € 10,00 each by choosing one of the many combinations of fresh and super-stuffed wraps. After lunch it's time to visit the Archaeological Park of Classe with its excavations and its ruins ancient civilizations that became rubble following an earthquake and several attacks by the Lombards. The visit lasts about 1 hour and a half, so when you have finished you can always return to Ravenna by bus 4 and visit the next scheduled attraction, the City Art Museum, a place full of exhibitions and mosaics.
After the visit of the museum is also finished, walk towards the next place that will host you for dinner. As a last evening we would like to suggest a choice between meat and fish in the cozy La Taverna del Molino restaurant, with average prices, where you can enjoy generous portions and spend less than € 20,00 each. Periodically the restaurant organizes musical evenings with live music to entertain customers even after dinner so choose whether to stay in the restaurant to enjoy the evening or simply return to the hotel to rest.
- Distance traveled: 17,8 km / 33 min
- Places visited: Basilica of Sant'Apollinare in Classe (€ 5,00), Archaeological Park of Classe (€ 5,00) and City Art Museum (€ 10,00)
- Ravenna: private tour of the Basilica of Sant'Apollinare in Classe
- Breakfast at Caffè degli Artisti (Get directions), Lunch at La Piadina di Angelo (Get directions), Dinner at La Taverna del Molino (Get directions)
Before leaving: useful tips
- When to visit Ravenna: it can be visited in any period. It is particularly enjoyable in the spring and summer months
- by plane at the airports of Bologna and Rimini, the first at 2 hours away and the second at 1 hour and a half, both reachable by train (about € 10,00) or by car via the A1 and A14 motorways
- station area, less expensive, not far from the historic center and all public transport. Hotels and b & b starting from € 47,18 per room -
- Getting around: urban and extra-urban buses are recommended, single ticket starting from € 1,30 or Romagna SmartPass 3 or 7 days subscription at a cost of € 11,00 or € 22,00.
- City Card: Romagna Visit Card to access the attractions for free or with a discount
Most Interesting Articles
- maldives islands where they are when to go and what to see
- ranking of the most rude countries in the world
- top 10 mafias in the world the richest and most powerful criminal organizations
- the 15 biggest and most beautiful zoos in the world official ranking
- top 10 biggest and most beautiful zoos in europe official ranking