Located in southern Puglia, on three hills more than 200 meters above sea level, Ostuni is also known as the "white city", given the particular color of its houses. Among the best known towns of the Salento peninsula, the city is a renowned tourist center, which for over 20 years it has received the Blue Flag and the five sails of Legambiente. If you are planning your holiday in Ostuni, and you want to create a small itinerary, here it is what to see in one day.
- One day itinerary in Ostuni: Morning
- One day itinerary in Ostuni: Afternoon
- One day itinerary in Ostuni: Evening
- User questions and comments
One day itinerary in Ostuni: Morning
1 - Historic Center, Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta, Church of the Holy Spirit
Given the convenience of prices, the vastness of products and the good location, the Centro Storico Caffè Bistrot is certainly the most recommended solution for breakfast. Located in the historic center, from here you will have the opportunity to immediately notice the detail characteristic of the buildings of Ostuni: all painted in white. However, this is not the only peculiarity that makes the famous old city fascinating, characterized by alleys which, however short or long they may be, have a particular that unites them: they are all blind.
The only street that really deserves this name is Via Cattedrale, which cuts the historic center into two parts. Just along this road you reach the Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta, built in 1400, and greater attraction of the city. Mixed between Gothic and Venetian style, the facade has a finely decorated central rose window, the second largest in Europe. Its interior is characterized by: three naves divided by columns, decorated chapels and a richly painted ceiling.
The other end of via Cattedrale leads to another particularly fascinating religious building: the church of the Holy Spirit. Easily recognizable, thanks to its th century entrance adorned with late Gothic bas-reliefs, it houses the seventeenth-century statue of Sant'Oronzo, and that of the Madonna del Buon Consiglio. Here, masses are also celebrated in English.
2 - Piazza della Libertà, the Obelisk of Sant'Oronzo and the Church of San Francesco
A 2-minute walk from the church of the Holy Spirit is Piazza della Libertà: beating heart of the historic center, and cultural center of the whole Ostuni. Here, there is the former Franciscan monastery, today Palazzo di città, the church of San Francesco and the famous Obelisk of Sant'Oronzo. Moreover, along the perimeter of the square there are numerous clubs, a destination for those in search of nightlife and entertainment.
The Obelisk of Sant'Oronzo is also known as the spire. Built around 1771, and almost 21 meters high, the column represents a vow made to the Saint, in order to thank him for the protection given during famine and epidemics. On its surface it is possible to admire a series of representations, among which those of Saints Biagio and Agostino stand out: the one on top of the obelisk instead, is the statue of Sant'Oronzo.
A few steps away we have the church of San Francesco, which is particularly difficult to locate. In 1883, the construction was homologated to that of the current town hall, the former convent, thus becoming "invisible". Its interior has a single nave, richly decorated with stuccoes, the altar of San Martino, dating back to the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries and a canvas by Luca Giordano
- Distance traveled: 800 m / 11 min
- Places visited: Historic Center, Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta, Church of the Holy Spirit, Piazza della Libertà, Obelisk of Sant'Oronzo and Church of San Francesco
- Where to have breakfast: Centro Storico Caffè Bistrot, Via Cattedrale 32 - Get directions
One day itinerary in Ostuni: Afternoon
1 - Archaeological and Natural Park of Santa Maria di Agnano
For lunch there are two solutions: stop and eat a typical dish at the Grotta degli Avi, or bring a packed lunch, and eat in one of the many equipped areas of the Santa Maria di Agnano Archaeological and Natural Park. Reachable in ten minutes by car, along the S16, the park is only 2 km away from the historic center, and is connected to the Civic Museum.
The beating heart of the park is the cave of Santa Maria di Agnano, home to 3.000-year-old cults and rites. In the past, the cave was a real sanctuary, where two tombs were found: Ostuni 1 and Ostuni 2, including funerary equipment, plus other medieval finds. Inside the park a series of activities suitable for young and old are organized, ranging from shows in the outdoor amphitheater to free guided tours. So, once inside, it is recommended not to look at the clock but to enjoy the nature, the peace, and the tranquility of a place, which has a lot to offer to those who look at it with a calm heart.
- Distance traveled: 170 m / 2 min
- Places visited: Archaeological Park and Natural Archaeological Park of Santa Maria di Agnano
- Where to have lunch: Grotta degli Avi, via Galileo Galilei 13 - Get directions
One day itinerary in Ostuni: Evening
1 - Dinner and Porta del Salento and Largo Trinchera
For dinner you can stop at the Munacello tavern, located behind the Cathedral of Ostuni, where it is It is possible to taste the typical cuisine at very competitive prices. From here, in about two minutes, you can reach both the opera "la porta del salento" and Largo Trinchera: the square where the cathedral overlooks. Here, the Episcopal Curia managed all its power, as can be seen from the presence of various ecclesiastical structures: on the right of the cathedral, there is the Bishop's Palace, connected to the Seminary Palace, through the Scoppa arch.
- Distance traveled: 64 m / 1 min
- Places visited: Porta del Salento and Largo Trinchera
- Where to dine: Osteria del Munacello, via Cattedrale - Get directions
Before leaving: useful tips
- Organization: in order to enjoy the night beauties of Ostuni to the fullest, it is good to rent an apartment, which allows you to have no time limits
- Clothing: in the evening Ostuni becomes a trendy place, so don't forget to pack your elegant summer clothes. We also recommend that you bring comfortable shoes and clothes with you as there will be so much to see and walk
- Accessories: given the presence of wild sea areas, characterized by pebbles or rocks, it is recommended to bring a pair of suitable shoes. If you go to the beach do not forget sunscreen and a hat, since the climate of Ostuni is Mediterranean with continental features and in summer it reaches + 40 °
What not to see: the attractions that are better to give up
- Coastal dunes park, given the size it would take too long
- Museums, unless you are a true enthusiast, it is better to take the time to see more
- The churches, which in Ostuni are really many and, given the short time, it is better to visit only the most important ones
- The tobacco tannery, always and only for lack of time
- Tower of San Lorenzo, antisaracena watchtower, in the locality of Pilone
Most Interesting Articles
- maldives islands where they are when to go and what to see
- ranking of the most rude countries in the world
- top 10 mafias in the world the richest and most powerful criminal organizations
- the 15 biggest and most beautiful zoos in the world official ranking
- top 10 biggest and most beautiful zoos in europe official ranking