Nicknamed the Big Apple, it stays one of the most desired tourist destinations in the world. Epicenter of the arts, culinary and shopping capital, creator of fashions and trends, New York is the symbol of overseas travel, of different cultures and styles that meet every day in its frenetic and very rich extra-ordinary everyday life.
Set of great inspiration for writers and directors, this city collects the best of art, design, architecture and music from all over the world. It is the ideal place where live a different experience and discover its most incredible realities! Here is a 5-day itinerary to organize your trip to New York.
- 1 day
- 2 day
- 3 day
- 4 day
- 5 day
- How much does it cost 5 days in New York
- Before leaving: useful tips
- User questions and comments
Go to Battery Park e take the ferry to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island (Ferry and entrances € 17,00, all included in the New York Card anyway. Ferry times 8: 30-16: 30).
From the height of its 93 meters, Statue of Liberty dominates the mouth of the Hudson River and the entire Manhattan Bay from the rocky Liberty Island. It is also worth stopping at Ellis Island, one of the forty islands of New York waters, famous since 1894 since marshalling yard for immigrants.
Return to Manhattan in the afternoon and have lunch at Fraunces Tavern (€ 18,00 average per course), restaurant with museum in memory of the peace treaties between George Washington and the English.
Visit Wall Street, the financial heart, banking and institutional; continue north towards the fountains of Memorial of the Twin Towers, the One World Trade Center.
For the evening reach the Brooklyn Bridge e dine at Grimaldi's Pizza (€ 16,00), one of the most popular pizzerias among New Yorkers. After dinner, stroll along the Brooklyn Promenade to admire Manhattan illuminated.
- Distance traveled: 2 h 5 min / 7,3 miles
- Places visited: Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island (€ 17,00), Wall Street (free), One World Trade Center (free), Brooklyn Bridge (free)
- Daily shopping: € 75,00
- Ellis Island and Memorial Pre-Ferry Tour September 11 NYC Explorer Pass for over 85 tours and attractions
- lunch: Fraunces Tavern (Get Directions); dinner: Grimaldi's Pizza (Get directions)
We start our day in the Chelsea neighborhood by walking on the High Line, New York's elevated park which follows the old railway line from 1860. In Chelsea, old lofts and warehouses now house galleries and exhibitions of contemporary artists. Continue south, and enter a Greenwich Village, home to many artists, writers and musicians.
In the afternoon, from 14 Street Station take the blue metro (€ 2,71) and get off at West 4th Street, you are in Washington Square Park, a crossroads for street performers. In the area you will also find Union Square where a lively market takes place at the weekend.
Lunch fast from Taco Bell (€ 13,00). Then, from E 14 St / University Pl take the blue subway line (€ 2,71) and get off at East Houston Street. Visit the Tenement Museum (€ 25,00), la Eldridge Street Synagogue (Sunday to Thursday 10: 00-17: 00, Friday 10: 00-15: 00, Saturday closed, the ticket costs € 12,00) and walks on Orchard Street.
for price try a pastrami sandwich at Katz's Delicatessen (€ 15,00). For the after dinner you have a wide choice of many chic night clubs such as Pianos or the Tha Back Room or Nitecap.
- Distance traveled: 1 h 23 min / 4 miles
- Places visited: Chelsea (free), Highline (free), Greenwich Village (free), Washington Square Park (free), Union Square (free), Tenement Museum (€ 25,00), Eldridge Street Synagogue (€ 12,00), Orchard Street (free)
- Daily shopping: € 100,00
- NYC Explorer Pass for over 85 tours and attractions
- lunch: Taco Bell (Get Directions); dinner: Kat's Delicatessen (Get Directions)
Start the day in heart of Manhattan. Start withEmpire State Building (open every day of the year from 8:00 to 2:00 at night). Take Fifth Avenue and join Bryant Park and the New York Public Library (10: 00-18: 00) the second largest library in the United States.
You can pranzare at Shake Shack (€ 15,00) 400 meters from Bryant Park. Then continue on 42nd Street to Grand Central Station and the Chrysler Building; continuing on 42nd you will arrive at the UN headquarters buildings (guided tours from Monday to Friday 9: 00-16: 30). Then you can take 49th Street, pass the Waldorf Astoria Hotel and arrive atRockefeller Center area (8: 00-24: 00) and St Patrick Cathedral (6: 30-20: 45).
At this point you can choose between visiting the MoMA (10: 00-17: 30, on Fridays it closes at 21:00 and from 17:30 admission is free) or relax and go shopping on Fifth Avenue and 57th Avenue (here more info on what to see at Moma).
From Pod 39 there is a typical New York rooftop from which to admire the sunset. Or go to Top of the Rock, one of the best views from above in New York.
Have dinner from Del Frisco's Double Eagle Steakhouse (€ 50,00) and then ... the lights of Times Square await you!
- Distance traveled: 1 h 11 min / 3,4 miles
- Places visited: Empire State Building (€ 52,00), Bryant Park (free), Public Library (free), UN (guided tour € 18,00), Rockefeller Center Observatory (€ 39,00), St Patrick Cathedral (free), MoMA (€ 23,00), Times Square (free)
- Daily shopping: € 130,00
- Skip-the-line entry to the Museum of Modern Art Empire State Building and Top Sights Tour
- lunch: Shake Shack (Get Directions); Dinner: Del Frisco's Double Eagle Steakhouse (Get Directions)
Morning dedicated to art at Metropolitan of Art, "MET", one of the most important museums in the world (Sunday to Thursday 10: 00-17: 30, Friday and Saturday 10: 00-21: 00), with over 2 million works in 180 thousand square meters (here more info on what to see at the Metropolitan Museum of Art).
And now, relax! Reach Central Park (on the west side of the MET), a green rectangle in the heart of Manhattan that has hosted numerous movie sets.
Central Park is so big that it will be impossible to get bored (341 hectares)! There are so many activities to choose from. You can get around the park by renting a bike for the whole day for € 7,50 (book bikes online).
In the park there are some unmissable must: Belvedere Castle (Gothic-Romanesque castle), e Strawberry Fields Memorial (memorial to John Lennon). For a break lunch we recommend Tavern on the Green, one of the most iconic places in the city (€ 25,00), about 300 meters from the memorial.
In 10 minutes, you can go up Bow Bridge, suspension bridge that offers a suggestive scenery and then continues with a Parisian-style walk up to The Mall.
Take a short walk back onto W 63rd St / Sesame St which will take you to the Lincoln Center, a conglomerate of modernist architecture that houses the most important theaters and auditoriums in the city. After one price at The Grand Tier (at least € 50,00) enjoy a show (10 every night).
- Distance traveled: 59 min / 2,9 miles
- Places visited: MET (€ 22,00), Central Park (free), Lincoln Center (free)
- Daily shopping: € 150,00
- Skip-the-line entry to the Metropolitan Museum of Art 2,5-hour Central Park Sunset Walking Tour
- lunch: Tavern on the Green (Get Directions); dinner: The Grand Tier (Get Directions)
Start the day at SoHo, the most authentic and unique soul of New Yorkers. Here you will find the typical cast iron mansions and red brick houses with external fire escapes. This neighborhood is also one of the most important shopping destinations with designer boutiques, high fashion shops and exclusive art galleries.
Take Canal St and in about 15 minutes you are insurreal atmosphere of Chinatown, to be explored on foot. Interesting the Museum of Chinese in America (11:00-18:00, €8,00), the Eastern States Buddhist Temple (8: 30-18: 00) and the Mahayana Temple (8: 30-17: 45).
Stay on topic for lunch and head to XO Kitchen, renowned for its homemade noodles (€ 7,00).
In the late afternoon, via Broome St., reach in 4 minutes on foot Little Italy, characterized by narrow streets and public houses that housed immigrants. L' Italian American Museum (12: 00-18: 00, € 7,00), tells the story of the first Italians in New York. In September in the district, cultural heritage is celebrated during the San Gennaro festival.
Cenate Da Nico (fixed price dinner € 22,00) and then, by taxi, which will cost around $ 30.62 (around € 27,00), head to Broadway to see a musical, an unmissable experience during a trip to New York! In order not to spend a fortune, opt for Rush and SRO (Standing Room Only) tickets (average of € 30,00).
- Distance traveled: 1 h 35 min / 4,6 miles
- Places visited: SoHo (free), Chinatown, Museum of Chinese in America (€ 8,00), Eastern States Buddhist Temple (free), Mahayana Temple (free), Little Italy (free), Italian American Museum (€ 7,00), Broadway (free)
- Daily shopping: € 100,00
- Soho Chinatown and Little Italy Disney tour on Broadway: the magic behind the scenes
- lunch: XO Kitchen (Get Directions); dinner: Da Nico (Get directions)
How much does it cost 5 days in New York
NB: The costs expressed in the table above are to be intended per person.
We premise, New York is certainly not known for being a low cost destination; however, you can save on accommodation and meals, all of it it depends on the quality level that you expect and the style you want to give to your holiday.
It is obvious that having lunch with street-food will certainly affect the budget less than a dinner in a starred restaurant or on the roof-top of some trendy place.
As for any destination, the period strongly affects the price: the costs of flights and accommodation skyrocket in the most popular periods (Christmas, New Year, summer, Thanksgiving etc ...).
Generally, for access to attractions you can save with the CityPASS (€ 130,00) which includes the 6 most famous attractions in New York, including the Statue of Liberty, the Empire State Building and the Museum of Natural History.
For transport, our advice is to do one Unlimited Metrocard which costs around € 30,00 and allows unlimited travel on the metro and buses.
- starting from € 500,00 -
- Hotel and b & b starting from € 100,00 per room -
- NYC Explorer Pass for 85+ Sightseeing Bus Tours and Attractions with Ferry Option or Evening Tour Skip-the-Line Access to 9/11 Memorial & Museum
- Total cost of 5 days, flight included: from € 1.400,00 per person
Before leaving: useful tips
- When to visit New York: offers its best side during spring and autumn, when temperatures are more pleasant and days are longer - more on when to go to New York
- there are 3 airports: John F. Kennedy (JFK), LaGuardia (LGA) and Newark (EWR). To get to the city you can use taxis ($ 60,00 approximately € 55,00), the Express Bus ($ 19 equal to € 17,50) or the subway ($ 5,00, € 4,50)
- the main neighborhoods to choose from are Manatthan, Upper West Side, SoHo and Tribeca
- Getting around: its Subway is divided into 22 lines (468 stations); there is also an extensive bus network and taxis can be found everywhere. Expect an average daily expense of about $ 30,00 equal to € 25,00 for transportation. Consider the season tickets and the advantageous cards - more info on how to get around New York
- Local currency: US dollar (US $) (1 euro = 1,10 $)
- Time zone: -6h compared to Italy
- Entry requirements: passport with an expiration date after the date scheduled for the return to Italy; ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization); compulsory health insurance
- Recommended cards and passes: New York: Pass for 3, 5 or 7 attractions
- Safety info: there is an increase in cases of violent crime and the risk of terrorist attacks persists. For more information, visit the official website of the Farnesina.