The island of Mauritius, located in the Indian Ocean, is a real little earthly paradise. It is part of the Mascarene Islands and is located about 550 km from Madagascar. The white beaches, the luxuriant and uncontaminated vegetation, the crystal clear water, the exotic landscapes and the encounter between different ethnic groups, make the island a world apart, a reality to be discovered in all its nuances. On the island you can go hiking in the natural parks, diving to discover the coral reef, without neglecting moments of pure relaxation on the white and fine sand.
Ready to discover paradise? Here what to see in Mauritius in 7 days!
- 1 day
- 2 day
- 3 day
- 4 day
- 5 day
- 6 day
- 7 day
- How much does a week cost in Mauritius
- Before leaving: useful tips
- User questions and comments
Get to know the island starting from the places that tell its colonial history, then go to the capital, Port Luis. and choose a 1 day tour with driver.
Admire the Jummah Mosque, the building where from the architecture you can see the meeting of the various island cultures, Indian, Creole and Arabic. Afterwards, reach the Cathedral located in the center, dating back to the th century, another example of a religious structure, this time Catholic, the subject of numerous reconstructions over time.
For lunch, eat a toast or a hamburger at Tasty Buds (spending 250,02 MUR, about € 5,00), and then move to the panoramic terrace of Port Luis, a place known as Citadel. Here the fortress from which the whole city was controlled was built in 1835, in fact it is one of the most evocative points of the country.
Now stroll to Sir Abdul Razack Mohamed Garden, where you can relax by taking a walk surrounded by greenery, and drink the famous coffee with the house specialty, the rum.
For dinner, taste excellent Chinese cuisine at the tables of An-Noor Chinese Cuisine, spending around 500,18 MUR, around € 12,00.
- Distance traveled: 3,3 km / 43 min
- Places visited: Jummah Mosque (free), Port Louis Cathedral (free), Citadel (free), Sir Abdul Razack Mohamed Garden (free)
- Daily shopping: € 18,00
- Lunch at Tasty Buds (Get Directions, Dinner at An-Noor Chinese Cuisine (Get Directions)
A building that is worth a visit for its size and variety of colors is the Kailassam Temple, located on the outskirts of Port Luois. It is a Hindu temple, whose architecture is truly particular, also thanks to the colorful sculptures that make it up. The interiors can be visited for free, dedicate at least an hour to them.
Now go to Ville Valio Beach, in the town of Bacaclava. To get there you have to use a rental car. After 20 minutes you will be on a white beach with irresistible crystal clear water. The seabed here is shallow. He spent an hour here before lunch.
For lunch, stop at Segala, where you will find international, Asian fusion and Mauritian cuisine (lunch cost around 1.042,04 MUR, around € 25,00).
Enjoy a few more hours on this beach and, if you want to take pictures in a very special place at sunset, take your car and go along the banks of the Citron River, about 1 km long.
The river is surrounded by greenery, and you could take advantage of eating nearby in one of the best Indian restaurants in the area, the Kot Nou, for around 917,00 MUR (around € 22,00).
- Distance traveled: 15 km / 27 min by car
- Places visited: Kailassam Temple (free), Ville Valio Beach (free), Citron (free)
- Daily shopping: € 50,00
- Lunch at Segala Restaurant (Get directions), Dinner at Kot Nou (Get directions)
Between a dip and an immersion, on the island of Mauritius there is no shortage of shows offered by plant nature. Today independently or with a guided tour visit the well-known Botanical Garden of Pamplemousse, north of Port Louis. Here, paying the entrance with the guide at 100,00 MUR (about € 2,40), you can walk among specimens of rare plants, embellished fountains and tanks of giant water lilies.
For lunch, eat near the park, at Selven Snack, where you can taste Mauritian recipes on a budget (cost around 416,77 MUR, around € 10,00).
Once you have finished lunch, take the car and reach in 20 minutes one of the most beautiful attractions on the island: the Blue Safari Submarines. Here you can live the experience of entering a submarine to discover the depths of the Indian Ocean. The ticket costs 4.600,00 MUR (about € 110,00), and the visit lasts about 45 min. The submarine will take you to a depth of 35m below the sea surface.
You are in the area of Trou-aux-Biches, one of the most beautiful and touristic Mauritius, so there is nothing better than taking a long and relaxing walk on the beach, in the shade of palm trees.
To conclude the evening, dine in the suggestive location, close to the ocean, of the La Caravelle restaurant, which offers innovative French cuisine (cost around 2.293,00 MUR, around € 55,00).
- Distance traveled: 19,1 km / 23 min by car
- Places visited: Pamplemousse Botanical Garden (100,00 MUR, approx € 2,40), Blue Safari Submarines (4.600,00 MUR, approx € 110,00), Trou-aux-Biches (free)
- Daily shopping: € 180,00
- Lunch at Selven Snack (Get directions), Dinner at La Caravelle (Get directions)
About 48 km south of Port Louis, lies thethe island's large national park, the Black River Gorges National Park. You can dedicate yourself to the park excursion for free, and always under the instructions of the staff. The paths that can be traveled exceed 60 km, and go into the forest, where you will see animals and plants of different species, such as the pink peacock, the ravenous monkeys, not to mention the breathtaking view of the ocean. The walk can take around 3 hours, so take all morning to explore this wonderful area.
Once finished, have lunch in one of the island's typical restaurants, the Rhumerie de Chamarel Restaurant & Rum Distillery. Along with lunch you can access for free to visit the distillery, where you will be shown the processing of rum (cost about 1.875,48 MUR, about € 45,00).
Now spend some time on visit of the magnificent Chamarel waterfalls, and then approach one of the most emblematic places of Mauriutis. In this area, in fact, there is an area known as the Land of the 7 colors, some of them colored sand dunes, the result of a phenomenon of decomposition of volcanic rocks in the presence of certain chemical elements present in the subsoil. The result of this event is an expanse of hills with seven shades. Buy the entrance ticket to the geopark of the lands of 7 colors to visit the area (about 250,00 MUR, about € 7,00).
For dinner, stop by SeaForest, where you will eat in a breathtaking location (dinner cost about 1.250,00 MUR, about € 30,00).
- Distance traveled: 10,4 km / 24 min by car
- Places visited: Black River Gorges National Park (free), visit to the distillery (included in lunch at 1.875,48 MUR, approximately € 45,00), Chamarel Falls (free), Land of 7 Colors (250,00 MUR, approximately € 7,00 .)
- Daily shopping: € 82,00
- Lunch at Rhumerie de Chamarel Restaurant & Rum Distillery (Get directions), Dinner at SeaForest (Get directions)
Today go to discovery of the south-eastern part of the island, in the Mahebourg area.
Visit one of the oldest churches in the country, the Catholic Church of Notre Dame des Anges, dating back to 1722.
Now stroll to the Mahebourg Musuem, the museum housed in a colonial house surrounded by a large park. Admission is free and there you will find various objects and memorabilia that tell the story of the island, in addition to the skeletons of Dodo, the animal symbol of Mauritius, now extinct.
Eat near the park, in the Chez Patrick Resto restaurant, spending 624,15 MUR (about € 15,00).
Then take a nice stroll in the town's public garden, the Mahebourg Village Hall, and along the pier.
You can then dedicate the rest of the afternoon tomost popular activity of the place: snorkeling. Then reach the Case Nautique and Angel fish Diving center, where for the price of 950,00 MUR (about € 23,00), you can dive with a guide in the ocean, discovering the magnificent marine specimens. The dive lasts about 2 hours.
Now you just have to eat some excellent fish at Les Copains d'Abord, a place overlooking the bay of Mahebourg (cost of dinner about 1.165,08 MUR, about € 28,00).
To end the evening walks along the promenade, up to the memorial monument for the abolition of slavery, close to the ocean.
- Distance traveled: 4,1 km / 40 min
- Places visited: Notre Dame des Anges (free), Mahebourg Musuem (free), Mahebourg Village Hall and waterfront (free), Case Nautique and Angel fish Diving (950,00 MUR, approx € 23,00), Monument Commemorating Abolition Of Slavery (free )
- Daily shopping: € 66,00
- Lunch at Chez Patrick Resto (Get directions), Dinner at Les Copains d'Abord (Get directions)
Start this day by visiting the magnificent Ile aux Aigrettes Nature Reserve, la nature reserve located on the island of Ile aux Aigrettes, near the coasts of Mahebourg. You can reach the island and be guided on the tour in the nature reserve, during which you will have the opportunity to meet species of rare and existing animals only on this island (cost 800,00 MUR, about € 20,00).
Return to the port of Pointe Jerome, walk to the La Belle Creole restaurant, where you can eat something truly Creole (cost around 624,15 MUR, around € 15,00).
Now reach the beautiful Blue Bay area, you get there by car after about 40 min. The white beach with the turquoise water of Blue Bay is the postcard par excellence of the island of Mauritius. It is no coincidence that here is the Marine Park, which is the natural area that the government is committed to safeguarding. The park, in which there is a magnificent coral reef, can be visited by swimming, snorkeling, or aboard boats with glass bottoms.
Another beach that is worth a visit, considering yours more wild and natural aspect, is that of La Cambuse. Here you will notice the high presence of fishermen.
End this wonderful day in the name of nature immersed in this beautiful landscape at Sea.fire.salt, spending approximately 665,76 MUR (approximately € 16,00).
- Distance traveled: 20,1 km / 29 min by car
- Places visited: Ile aux Aigrettes Nature Reserve (800,00 MUR, approx € 20,00), Blue Bay Marine Park (free, paid activities), La Cambuse Beach (free)
- Daily shopping: € 51,00
- Lunch at La Belle Creole (Get directions), Dinner at Sea.fire.salt (Get directions)
A vacation on this beautiful island is always full of adventures. On this last day you cannot miss a visit to the Isola dei Cervi. The islet is located on the central eastern coast, and is so defined because it was once populated by deer, brought here by the Dutch for hunting activities. To get there you need to take a ferry (450,00 MR, about € 11,28) or a cruise from Trou d'Eau Douce, which includes snorkeling, waterfalls and barbecue (about € 60,00).
Before going to the Isola dei Cervi, it is worth taking a bath in the beautiful waters that bathe the Belle Mare and Palmar beaches, north of Trou d'Eau Douce, surrounded by thick and lively vegetation. For these journeys it is necessary to travel by car. Spend a morning here in total relaxation.
Have lunch at Le Four in Chaux (cost around 749,00 MUR, around € 18,00), and then get on the boat and reach this corner of paradise!
The Isola dei Cervi is famous for its 4 km of beach with fine white sand, for the beautiful backdrops and for the courses set up by the Golf Club. Particularly suitable are snorkeling activities, and if the wind is strong enough it is also possible to practice kitesurfing.
To end the day, dine in the beautiful location of Langer's Bar & Grill, the restaurant that offers international dishes (cost around 1040,25 MUR, around € 25,00).
- Distance traveled: 25,2 km / 39 min by autp
- Places visited: Belle Mare Beach (free), Palmar Beach (free), Deer Island (taxi boat from 450,00 MUR, € 11,28)
- Daily shopping: € 55,00
- Lunch at Le Four in Chaux (Get directions), Dinner at Langer's Bar & Gril (Get directions)
How much does a week cost in Mauritius
NB: The prices expressed in the table above are to be intended "per person".
Spending a week in Mauritius can turn out relatively expensive. The cost of the flight (usually with a stopover in a European city such as Paris and Frankfurt, or in Dubai), is around € 500,00.
Staying overnight in the numerous luxury hotels and resorts in high season is a rather expensive choice, in fact a week in one of these structures can cost as much as € 1.200,00 per night. For the same amount, however, it is possible to rent a house, with several bedrooms. The areas to be privileged are those near the coast, from where you can easily reach the magnificent beaches and ports where you can take boat trips.
To move easily on the island is preferable to rent a car, whose rate for a week could be between € 300,00 and € 500,00. As for the food, you can choose between the restaurants in the hotels, whose prices are quite high, or the less famous small places and the numerous kiosks, where you can find authentic cuisine at reasonable prices.
- starting from € 500,00 -
- Hotel and b & b starting from € 70,00 per room -
- 2-hour quad tour of the wild south catamaran cruise to the islands to the north Deer Island: 1 day cruise from Trou d'Eau Douce
- Total cost of a week, flight included: from € 1.482,00 per person
Before leaving: useful tips
- When to visit Mauritius: May, October and November, is the period in which the dry heat makes the sunny days more enjoyable. Avoid the months from January to March, due to cyclones - find out more
- from Milan Malpensa and Rome Fiumicino with various companies, the most important being Air Mauritius. Sometimes there are direct flights, other times there is a stopover in London, Paris or Frankfurt (or Dubai). The duration of the flight is approximately 15 h (11h in direct flights)
- Flin-en-Flac is located on the west coast of the island, where the luxury hotels are located. Grand Baie is the most dynamic district, both by day and by night and is the most touristic one. Pereybère and Trou-aux-Biches are more family-friendly areas, while those who want to stay comfortably close to the airport can opt for Blu Bay. The area of the capital, Port Luis, is less touristy and less dynamic.
- Getting around: the only public transport on the island is the bus, whose lines serve the entire island (cost of the short ride ticket 15,00 MUR, about € 0,30, long ticket cost 30,00 MUR, about 0,70, 2664). The best choice to move to all points of the island is to rent a car (the daily rate is approximately 64,00 MUR - € )
- Local currency: Mauritian rupee (MUR) / € 1,00 = 41,54 MUR
- Time zone: GMT + 4 (+ 3h compared to Italy)
- Entry requirements: passport expiring after the date of return from the trip, return flight ticket, valid reservation at the hotel or other address. An entry visa is not required for tourist trips with a stay of less than 90 days.
Most Interesting Articles
- ranking of the most rude countries in the world
- top 10 mafias in the world the richest and most powerful criminal organizations
- top 10 biggest and most beautiful zoos in europe official ranking
- maldives islands where they are when to go and what to see
- the 15 biggest and most beautiful zoos in the world official ranking