A lively and colorful Moroccan city, where the architecture, the souqs, the colors of the main square and the fiery sunsets will enchant you.
La città it is divided into two areas one more ancient and touristic, the Medina, and one more new and modern "The Ville Nouvelle".
This location is perfect to spend a weekend or to finish a tour of Morocco.
There are many things to see and do and obviously you won't be able to do everything in a single day, but with our itinerary you will discover the main attractions. Here's what to see in marrakech in one day.
- One day itinerary in Marrakech: Morning
- One day itinerary in Marrakech: Afternoon
- One day itinerary in Marrakech: Evening
- User questions and comments
One day itinerary in Marrakech: Morning
1 - Jemaa el Fna Square, Dar Si Said, Palais de Bahia, Mellah
Start the day in Marrakech at the Djema El Fna square which begins to come to life and make a good one breakfast at the "Cafè Restaurant Argana" (DH 22 / € 2,00).
From here in 10 minutes on foot, you will see Dar Si Said, beautiful building erected in honor of the master craftsmen who today it houses the Museum of Moroccan Arts (Wed-Mon 9: 00-12: 00/15: 00-18: 00; DH 30 / € 2,82).
No more than 1 km away, we suggest you visit the Palais de Bahia, beautiful building with more than 150 rooms (not all open to the public), painted and inlaid ceilings, a harem and the large court of honor (opening hours Mon-Thurs 8: 30-11: 45/14: 30-17: 45; Sat and Sun 8:30 -11: 45/15: 00-17: 45; DH 10 / € 1,00).
South of the palace find out the Mellah, the Jewish quarter characterized by beautiful houses where some families still live.
2 - Tombs of the Saadis
In the second part of the morning visit the Tombs of the Saadis, at the bottom of a narrow alley at the southern end of the Kasbah Mosque (Mon-Sun 9: 00-16: 30, DH 10 / € 1,00).
Built in Carrara marble, this monumental "cemetery" houses the Saadite sultan Ahmed el Mansour, princes, nobles, chancellors and wives.
When finished, head to the Koutoubia Mosque, it will take less than 20 minutes on foot.
- Distance traveled: 4,7 km / 59 min
- Places visited: Jemaa el Fna square (free), Dar Si Said (DH 30 / € 2,82), Palais de Bahia (DH10 / € 1,00), Mellah (free), Saadite Tombs (DH10 / € 1,00)
- Marrakech: cooking class to prepare the tagine
- Where to have breakfast: Cafè Restaurant Argana - Get directions
One day itinerary in Marrakech: Afternoon
1 - Koutoubia, Mouassin fountain, Ben Youssef Madrasa
Before visiting the mosque, stop by lunch to "Dar El Baroud".
Taste couscous or brochette, skewers flavored with spices and served with spicy sauce.
After having refreshed and rested admire the beautiful Koutoubia with its 70-meter minaret (DH 85 / € 8,00 approximately).
All around there are beautiful gardens where you can listen to the invitation to prayer because the entrance is forbidden to non-Muslims.
Continue to "Rue Jbel Lakhdar" which will lead you to the Mouassine fountain which has beautiful details in carved wood. In the adjacent area you can also admire the wool spread out in the sun.
Not far away is located the Ben Youssef Madrasa, or the Koranic school which you must not miss at all!
Alone or accompanied by a guide, visit this wonderful palace with a large internal courtyard, numerous rooms and passages (Mon-Sun 9: 00-18: 00; DH 40 / € 3,76).
2 - Souq, Djema El Fna Square
Spend the rest of the afternoon inside the souq, a large market full of lights, sounds, smells and colors The narrow streets are covered by a canopy of reeds, which lets in a lot of light; on the sides there are spice, fruit and olive shops alternating with stalls selling mirrors, enameled terracotta tajines, slippers, silver jewels, carpets and lanterns. The paradise for those who love shopping!
Towards the time of sunset don't get lost Djema El Fna square perhaps sipping a mint tea on one of the terraces overlooking the square.
Listen to the muezzin who calls the faithful and get lost in scrutinizing the colors of the sky that mix with those of the banquets present below you.
- Distance traveled: 3,1 km / 38 min
- Places visited: Koutoubia (DH 85 / € 8,00 approx.), Mouassin fountain (free), Ben Youssef Madrasa (DH 40 / € 3,76), Souq (free), Djema El Fna square (free)
- Marrakech: 3-hour food tour with dinner
- Where to have lunch: Dar El Baroud Restaurant - Get Directions
One day itinerary in Marrakech: Evening
1 - Dinner and clubs in the Hivernage area
For dinner we suggest you book a table on the terrace of "El Kennaria Restaurant" to enjoy Moroccan appetizers and an exquisite tagine (DH160 / € 15,00).
Finally if you want to go somewhere you should know that most of the nightlife takes place in the Hivernage area and along Blvd Mohammed VI (which can be reached by taxi at somewhat exorbitant prices, because the drivers know that there are no alternatives).
Among the hottest places is the "Pacha" where internationally renowned DJs play music until dawn (free admission until 22.00pm; then DH 20 / € 19,99).
- Distance traveled: 5 km / 1 h 3 min
- Places visited: neighborhood of the Hivernage
- Where to dine: El Kennaria Restaurant - Get directions
Before leaving: useful tips
- Best time: every season is perfect; however, remember that in summer the heat is often torrid and the city will be quite empty during the central hours. In winter, however, the temperatures are mild and you will be able to discover the city without sweating.
- Marrakech-Menara Airport (RAK), served by airlines such as Ryanair, easyJet, Vueling. It is 22 minutes from the city and can be reached by private transfer from € 14,00 per couple. Alternatively, bus n ° 11 connects the airport to Djemaa el Fna square from time to time (3DH / € 0,30) or a petit taxi costs DH60 / € 6,00.
- Getting around: the center can be easily explored on foot; for the suburbs it is advisable to travel by taxi. Always ask for the price before getting on, as a taximeter is not used. There are local buses leaving from Place Foucauld, near Djemaa el Fna, leading to the Ville Nouvelle (3DH / € 0,30).
- the most evocative place is in the medina, perhaps in one of the splendid renovated riads - Hotels and b & b starting from € 40,00 per room -
- Advice: it is a good idea to bargain when shopping and tip in bars and restaurants. It is an Islamic city and, although it is quite tolerant, it is good to cover shoulders and legs and women should have a large scarf with them to cover themselves where required.
What not to see: the attractions that are better to give up
- Jardin majorelle
- Menara Gardens
- Marrakech Museum inside the Dar M 'Nebhi Palace
- El Badi Palace
- the experience in a hammam
Most Interesting Articles
- maldives islands where they are when to go and what to see
- ranking of the most rude countries in the world
- top 10 mafias in the world the richest and most powerful criminal organizations
- the 15 biggest and most beautiful zoos in the world official ranking
- top 10 biggest and most beautiful zoos in europe official ranking