The small and beautiful German town of Leipzig, located about 185 km south-east of Berlin, is the main center of this area of Germany, the Saxony. Defined in Goethe's Faust as "a little Paris", it reveals itself well more fun but less presumptuous of the French capital. It is in fact the most dynamic city in eastern Germany - after Berlin - headquarters of business and trade, an important transport hub and location where prestigious international fairs are held.
Also loved by young people, thanks to relatively low rents and a lively nightlife, Leipzig was Bach's home and Wagner's hometown, for this reason it is known for its important musical and cultural tradition. Is it possible to visit leipzig in just one day? Like all major cities, more time should be devoted to it, but 24 hours are enough for a fairly complete itinerary.
- One day itinerary in Leipzig: Morning
- One day itinerary in Leipzig: Afternoon
- One day itinerary in Leipzig: Evening
- User questions and comments
One day itinerary in Leipzig: Morning
1 - Augustusplatz, Gewandhaus and the Opera House, Kroch-Haus, Panorama Tower
Breakfast at Cafe Riquet, in Schuhmachergaesschen 1, for an average cost of € 12,00. The first place not to be missed is Augustusplatz, the beating heart of the city. At first glance it may also seem unattractive. What attracts in this square however are the buildings that overlook it, such as the Gewandhaus concert hall and Opera House, both destroyed and rebuilt several times. Around the square are also located the first skyscraper in Leipzig, the Kroch-Haus, and the Panorama Tower, which maintains the city record in terms of height. It is possible to climb to the top of its 120 meters to enjoy a unique view. Furthermore, the University of Leipzig, one of the oldest in the world, is located in this square. .
2 - Marktplatz and the Altes Rathaus
The square that best represents the Leipzig style is the Marktplatz, which is also overlooked by the Renaissance-style building of the old town hall (Altes Rathaus), dating back to 1556. Only later were the tower (one of the most majestic in the whole country) with the baroque dome. This tower was also destroyed in 1943 due to bombing but was rebuilt thanks to considerable interventions. At the tower there has been, since 1909, the city historical museum (Stadtgeschichtliches Museum), which unfortunately you will have to visit on another occasion. Just behind the Town Hall is also the Alte Handelsbörse, the "old trading stock", a building dating back to the th century among the most characteristic of Leipzig.
- Distance traveled: 1,6 km / 20 min
- Places visited: Augustusplatz, Gewandhaus and the Opera House, Kroch-Haus (free), Panorama Tower (€ 3,00), Marktplatz and the Altes Rathaus (free)
- Leipzig: 1,5-hour historical walking tour
- Where to have breakfast: Cafe Riquet, Schuhmachergaesschen 1
One day itinerary in Leipzig: Afternoon
1 - Thomaskirche, Neues Rathaus
For lunch we recommend Restaurant Weinstock, Markt 7, for an average cost of € 16,00. The next stop is there Church of St. Thomas (Thomaskirche), a particularly important place for the city as some famous people frequented it in the past. Creek was his choirmaster and here he rests forever, Mozart held a concert here and Wagner was baptized. Drive along Burgstraße for about 5 minutes to reach the Neues Rathaus (new town hall): the old town hall, of which we have already spoken, was considered inadequate at the beginning of the twentieth century. For this another one was built near the place where it was located Pleißenburg fortress, Seat of the Martin Luther's first speech. The building features a mix of styles between Baroque, Art Nouveau and Renaissance and is enriched by a 115 meter tower.
2 - Nikolaikirchhof, Peterskirche
Heading east along Universitätsstraße, you will find the Church of St. Nicholas (Nikolaikirchhof), the largest in Leipzig and one of the most important in all of Germany. It dates back to 1165 and was dedicated to the patron saint of traders. This church was the starting point of the Monday Events, or rather the peaceful marches in which citizens both believers and non-believers took part, to manifest their desire to reform the regime of the GDR, the German Democratic Republic. Returning to Universitätsstraße and heading south you will reach the Church of St. Peter (Peterskirche). It is not an attraction that is usually found in the tourist guides of Leipzig, but we would like to recommend it for its gothic style and for the frequent classical music concerts that take place inside. Also, near this church you can admire the best examples of street art and murals.
- Distance traveled: 3,2 km / 40 min
- Places visited: Thomaskirche (guided tour € 1,00, visit to the Tower € 2,00), Neues Rathaus, Nikolaikirchhof, Peterskirche (free)
- Hop on hop off sightseeing bus city tour
- Where to have lunch: Restaurant Weinstock, Markt 7
One day itinerary in Leipzig: Evening
1 - Dinner and Mädlerpassage
In Leipzig, even dinner time becomes a stop on the itinerary. We advise you, in fact, to go to theAuerbachs
Basement, in Grimmaische Str. 2-4, one of the most famous restaurants in all of Germany. Dating back to 1525, it houses a tree trunk carved with a scene from Goethe's Faust - Part I, set in this place.
The Mädlerpassage is a characteristic commercial gallery which is one of the oldest trading places in Leipzig. In art nouveau style, it houses shops, more or less modern shops, bars and restaurants.
- Distance traveled: 1,2 km / 16 min
- Places visited: Mädlerpassage (free)
- Leipzig night tour
- Where to dine: Auerbachs Keller, Grimmaische Str. 2-4
Before leaving: useful tips
- Weather: Leipzig is located in a rather internal position and is therefore exposed to a continental type climate. The average annual temperature is therefore 9 °, with a minimum of 0 ° in January and a maximum of 18 ° in July.
- rains: Leipzig's weather is also quite rainy, consider bringing waterproof clothing and rain shoes with you.
- Best time: The best time to visit Leipzig is late spring, when it is possible to find mild temperatures that allow you to visit the city.
- if you decide to extend your visit and enjoy Leipzig by night, consult our offers for accommodation in Leipzig.
Most Interesting Articles
- maldives islands where they are when to go and what to see
- ranking of the most rude countries in the world
- top 10 mafias in the world the richest and most powerful criminal organizations
- the 15 biggest and most beautiful zoos in the world official ranking
- top 10 biggest and most beautiful zoos in europe official ranking