Lausanne is a picturesque city to say the least. Located in the canton of Vaud, Switzerland, a stone's throw from Lake Geneva, has everything you could wish for: a huge amount of museums, parks and areas of interest that will captivate you, but also many areas in which to relax, strolling on the shores of the lake or immersed in nature. It is a multi-faceted city, and not visiting it would be a shame. For this we have created a one day itinerary specially for you.
- One day itinerary in Lausanne: Morning
- One day itinerary in Lausanne: Afternoon
- One day itinerary in Lausanne: Evening
- User questions and comments
One day itinerary in Lausanne: Morning
1 - Collection de l'Art Brut, Palais de Rumine
From Lausanne central station, taking bus 3 or 21 you will arrive in about 4 minutes at the first stop of the day, la Collection de l'Art Brut. A stone's throw from here to the breakfast you will find the Boulangerie des Bergiéres: excellent pastries and baked goods for breakfast, for around € 5,00 per person.
The museum houses works by unknown artists who have suffered emotional trauma, or are suffering from psychic disorders.
After the visit, go now to Palais de Rumine, which houses several museums, including the Cantonal Museum of Fine Arts, with works ranging from Decros to Degas. To get there, just take bus n.3 again to the "Riponne" stop.
2 - Escaliers du Marché, Cathedral, MUDAC
A few hundred meters away are the Escaliers du Marché. In addition to being in a very characteristic area of the city, their particularity is that they are completely covered by a roof. Enjoy the walk under its shadow up to the City Cathedral. Splendid example of Gothic architecture built between 1170 and 1240, it is famous for its rose window, as well as for the bell tower 200 meters high. Today it is also the largest Protestant place of worship in the city.
In the same area you will find the MUDAC, one of the other hidden (and decidedly original) pearls of Lausanne, dedicated to design and contemporary art.
- Distance traveled: 2 km / 27 min
- Places visited: Collection de l'Art Brut (€ 8,50), Palais de Rumine (free), Escaliers du Marché (free), Lausanne Cathedral (€ 4,20), MUDAC (€ 8,50)
- day excursion between chocolate and Swiss cheese
- Where to have breakfast: Boulangerie des Bergiéres, avenue Bergieres 30
One day itinerary in Lausanne: Afternoon
1 - Chateau Saint-Marie, Fondation de l'Hermitage
From here, walk along Avenue Menthon and Chemin de Couvaloup until you reach the ideal destination for your lunch, the Restaurant Ulivo, an excellent solution if you want to taste the local cuisine but want to keep yourself open to some more Mediterranean options, all spending an average of € 20,00. per person. A short distance from here towards the west you will find Chateau Saint-Marie, the castle of the city. Dating back to the th century, today it can only be visited from the outside, but it is still one of those things you cannot miss. Continuing north you will then arrive at Fondation de l'Hermitage, with temporary exhibitions of painters of world importance, from Tiepolo to Magritte.
2 - Parc de mon Repos, Olympic Museum, Port of Ouchy
Reaching the CHUV underground station, not far from there, and getting off at Bessières you will find the Parc de Mon Repos, famous for its immense green expanses that are home to fish and birds, as well as a neo-Gothic tower.
Go back to the subway station to get off at the Ouchy stop. Here you will find the Olympic Museum. A stone's throw from Lake Geneva you will find this splendid museum, which preserves the history of the Olympics, ranging from period films to the Olympic torch.
At the end of your visit to the museum, now head west towards the port. Here you can stroll among the docks, relaxing and enjoying the magical atmosphere of Lausanne.
- Distance traveled: 5,1 km / 1 h 16 min
- Places visited: Chateau Saint-Mari (free), Fondation de l'Hermitage (€ 5,00), Parc de mon Repos (free), Olympic Museum (€ 15,30), Port of Ouchy (free)
- Where to have lunch: Restaurant Ulivo, Chemin de Couvaloup 13
One day itinerary in Lausanne: Evening
1 - Dinner and Sauvabelin Tower
In the port area you are spoiled for choice as regards the venue for your dinner. Among the many there are we point out La Nautica, which offers excellent food in a price range for all budgets (on average we are talking about € 30,00 per person, but the dishes start from a minimum of € 13,00 up to to exceed € 60,00).
35 meters high, the Sauvabelin Tower it was made of wood, in such a way as to have a very low environmental impact. Going up to its terrace, located on the highest point, you will be able to see a breathtaking view: to do so you only have to climb 302 steps. Or you can admire it from below, which is much more feasible after 21:00 in the evening. The effect is equally stunning.
- Distance traveled: 4,7 km / 1 h 15 min
- Places visited: Sauvabelin Tower (free)
- Where to dine: La Nautica, chemin des Pecheurs 7
Before leaving: useful tips
Before leaving for Lausanne, keep in mind some tips that could make a difference during your trip:
- Get around by public transport: the city is full of parking lots, but almost all of them are paid. Therefore, prefer to use buses and subways, which reach every part of the city.
- Pay attention to prices: Lausanne is quite expensive, so arm yourself with a lot of patience and banknotes.
- Check out the exhibits: you will frequently find museums hosting temporary exhibitions. Check the subject of the exhibitions in time, in order to avoid any unpleasant surprises.
- if you decide to extend your stay to enjoy Lausanne by night, consult our accommodation offers
What not to see: the attractions that are better to give up
Due to the limited time available you will not be able to see everything. Here are the attractions you will have to give up, at least for this time:
- Museum of Zoology
- Thai Pavillon
- Opera House
- Chemin de la Vuachére
- Rolex Learning Center EPFL
- Esplanade de Montbenon
- Musee de l'Elysee
Most Interesting Articles
- maldives islands where they are when to go and what to see
- ranking of the most rude countries in the world
- top 10 mafias in the world the richest and most powerful criminal organizations
- the 15 biggest and most beautiful zoos in the world official ranking
- top 10 biggest and most beautiful zoos in europe official ranking