Ischia, the largest of the islands in the Gulf of Naples, is an enchanted place, among the favorite destinations of Italian and foreign tourists, where you can admire landscapes of extraordinary beauty. The island, in fact, has a unique naturalistic heritage, among thermal water springs, cliffs, colline, basins e beaches.
And of course, with the beautiful summer days coming up, which invite us to take a dip where "the water is bluer", a selection of most beautiful beaches of Ischia.
- Beach of the English
- Cartaromana beach
- San Montano beach - Lacco Ameno
- Citara Beach
- La Scannella beach
- Aragonese Castle
- La Mortella Gardens
- Borgo Sant'Angelo
- The Bay of Sorgeto
- The Falanga wood
- User questions and comments
1 - Beach of the English
It is a small stretch of beach which rises between the port of Ischia and Casamicciola, in the wonderful Borgo di Sant'Alessandro. It is a small beach, with fairly fine sand, not one of the most crowded in Ischia, and also has a bathhouse with a restaurant. It can be reached quite easily from the pedestrian street that winds along the Sant'Alessandro hill, on the road that connects the port and Casamicciola. The beach is perfect for families with children.
- Distance from the center: 1700 meters from the port of Ischia (about 7 minutes by car and 13 minutes on foot)
- by car take the Provincial Road 270, turn to the village of Sant'Alessandro and you can park in a public parking for cars and motorcycles. To reach the beach of the English on foot, however, it is better to take the pedestrian street that connects the Olympic Dock to the village of Sant'Alessandro
- Type: Sand
- Entrance: The beach is free to access and there is an establishment which also functions as a bar / restaurant
- Recommended for: Families with small children
2 - Cartaromana beach
The beach Cartaromana it is located south of the Castle of Ischia, not far from the rocks of Sant'Anna. Here you will find two well-equipped establishments, the stretch of sand has definitely shrunk due to erosion, and the free beach is also quite small. Here you will find a very fine sand, almost impalpable, ideal for families with children. Moreover, for lovers of diving and snorkeling it is one of the best areas, since it is located in the marine archaeological area of the island.
- Distance from the center: 2400 meters from the center of Ischia Porto (about 8 minutes by car and 30 minutes on foot)
- you have to reach the town of San Michele by car, following the Pineta Mirtina Park and then the signs for Cartaromana. Due to parking difficulties it is best to reach it by taxi boat or by bus 8 - C12 - C13 departing near the port. On foot, you have to follow via Gian Battista Vico and then Via Nuova Cartaromana, mostly uphill
- Type: Sand
- Entrance: Free beach with two establishments
- Recommended for: Families with children and snorkelers
3 - San Montano beach - Lacco Ameno
The Beach of San Montano it is located in a wonderful cove which makes it very different from other beaches. The beach, in fact, is located between the two promontories of Zaro and Monte Vico and is surrounded by lush vegetation, you will almost feel like being in the tropics. This cove has very fine sand, shallow waters and clear water, and it is possible to practice various water sports. It has a bathing establishment, and the stretch of free beach is quite wide.
- Distance from the center: 1200 meters from Lacco Ameno (about 5 minutes by car and 20 minutes on foot)
- by car it is best to take the Provincial Road 270, turn onto Corso Angelo Rizzoli and then onto Via San Montano, the area is well equipped with parking lots where you can leave your car. On foot you have to follow corso Angelo Rizzoli and then Via San Montano or take the bus lines 1 - 2 - CD - CS which stop about 900 meters from the beach
- Type: Very fine sand
- Entrance: Presence of bathing establishments and large stretches of free beach
- Recommended for: anyone, from families with children to the youngest as this stretch of coast is well equipped for water sports
4 - Citara beach
The Beach of Citara, named in honor of the Venus Citarea, is one of the most beautiful beaches on the island and one of the most popular in the height of summer. It is located in the municipality of Forio, under Punta Imperatore, not far from the largest thermal park on the island, the Poseidon Gardens. It is famous for its crystal clear waters and for being always sunny thanks to its ideal location. Well connected and equipped with parking lots, it has a long beach that alternates equipped bathing establishments, with stretches of free beach.
- Distance from the center: 2400 meters from Forio (about 7 minutes by car and 32 minutes on foot)
- by car from the Provincial Road 270, you have to turn into Via Giovanni Mazzella and then into Via Citara, near the beach there are ample parking lots. On foot it is better to take the buses of lines 1 - CD - CS with a stop about 1 km away from the beach or lines 2 - 21 - 22 - 23 - 24 with a stop practically on the road adjacent to the beach
- Type: Sand
- Entrance: Presence of bathing establishments and large stretches of free beach
- Recommended for: all types of tourists
5 - La Scannella beach
La Scannella it is a real corner of paradise: its enviable position, its crystal clear waters, make it the ideal destination for diving enthusiasts and for boat tourism. It is a private beach, well equipped and well maintained, and is located in an enchanting position, in the town of Panza, in the south of the island, surrounded by the nature of the rocky coast. Furthermore, it is just a few minutes by boat from the village of Sant'Angelo.
- Distance from the center: 2500 meters from Panza (about 12 minutes by car and 38 minutes on foot)
- by car just follow the Provincial Road 270 and then turn onto Via Belvedere, near the Hotel St. Leonard it is good to look for parking. On foot it is advisable to resort to taxi boats, they are easily found in Sant'Angelo, otherwise the alternative is a long walk crowned by a staircase of 290 steps to face
- Type: Rock
- Entrance: Private beach with paid entrance
- Recommended for: adults
6 - Aragonese Castle
Il Aragonese Castle, a fortification that stands on an islet of trachytic rock, is the symbol of the island of Ischia, a destination that lovers of art and history cannot miss, for its suggestive atmosphere and for the breathtaking views it is able to give away. The castle is open all year round, and is connected to the east side of the island by a 220-meter brick bridge.
- Distance from the center: 350 meters from Ischia Ponte (3 minutes by car and 8 minutes on foot)
- very easy to reach from Ischia Ponte, just reach the bridge that connects the Castle to the island village
- Useful Info: Open all year round, 7 days a week, from 7 to 9 in winter and from 16 to 9 in summer. The cost of the ticket is € 20 for adults, € 10 for groups, € 9 for children aged 6 to 10 and free for children younger than 14. Two routes available: Levante and Ponente. Among the most popular special events are the night visits, "Ghosts of the Castle", and the burning of the manor in honor of the feast of St. Anna. For more info we invite you to visit the official website castelloaragoneseischia.com
7 - La Mortella Gardens
Among the most evocative places on the island, the enchanting ones La Mortella Gardens they are located in the municipality of Forio, in the locality of Zaro.
Their realization is due to William Walton, English composer, who in 1949 settled on the island with his wife Susana, who, together with the landscape architect Russel Page, started this wonderful naturalistic oasis inside which are enclosed various plant species from every part of the world.
La Mortella is divided into two parts: a lower garden, called Valle, and a higher garden set in the hills, and it covers a total area of about 2 hectares.
- Distance from the center: 2000 meters from Forio (16 minutes by car and 32 minutes on foot)
- by car you must follow the Provincial Road 270, near the park there is a large parking lot. On foot from Ischia, Casamicciola and Lacco Ameno the best choice is the CS line, from Forio it is better to take the CD line instead
- Useful Info: Open from April to October, on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays from 9 to 19 (the ticket offices close at 18). The cost of the ticket is € 12 for adults, € 10 for children aged 12 to 18 and adults over 70, € 7 for children aged 6 to 11 and free for children under 6. years and for disabled people with disability over 51%
8 - Borgo Sant'Angelo
Sant'Angelo d'Ischia is an ancient fishing village on the slopes of the municipality of Serrara Fontana. The village is an islet connected to the island by a very thin isthmus of land, which climbs along the ridge of the mountain, where once there were the ancient fishermen's houses, now replaced by pensions and hotels.
In the center is the famous Piazzetta, which has nothing to envy to that of Capri and which overlooks the beach and the quay of the marina, where you can find boutiques, restaurants and bars.
9 - The Bay of Sorgeto
The enchanting Bay it is located in the small hamlet of Panza, and offers a unique setting for those who wish to spend the day in an outdoor thermal park. The inlet has natural pools in which the water that flows warm from the subsoil, mixing with the marine one, and is surrounded by rocks and a sea with crystalline waters. The bay is accessible free of charge for all those who want a relaxing break to recover from the efforts of everyday life, and can be reached either by sea or on foot through a steep flight of stairs that starts from the Panza village.
10 - The Falanga wood
And for lovers of beautiful natural landscapes and walks in the green, it will be interesting to discover this small forest of wonders, one of the most fascinating of the island.
A small road that starts from the Church of Santa Maria al Monte in Forio leads to this enchanted place, 600 meters above sea level. The wood is mainly made up of chestnut trees and walking through its paths, you can admire breathtaking views of the blue sea of the island, and see ancient signs left by man, namely the so-called Stone Houses, carved into the tufa rock.
In addition to these particular houses, you can also see the large tanks for collecting rainwater and the cellai, large holes in the ground used for storing ice.
Useful Tips: where to sleep and how to get there
To reach the island just take a hydrofoil or a ferry from Naples. The former depart from Mergellina and Molo Beverello, the latter from Calata Porta di Massa.
The berths on the island of Ischia are instead located in Ischia Porto, Casamicciola Terme (ferries and hydrofoils) and Forio d'Ischia (hydrofoils only). The island is all well connected by public transport so it is not difficult to reach any village or any of the other municipalities from the landing ports.
Choose the best area of the island it's hard. Each municipality stands out for its particular characteristic and for a habit that makes it unique. The Ischian tourist soul has also ensured that over the years a wide choice of accommodation facilities has developed. Finding hotels in Ischia that also offer spa services and that are luxury, 5-star or 3-star is not at all difficult: the proposals available are so varied and vast that they can really satisfy all tastes.