Gran Canaria is the third largest island of the Canary archipelago, to be considered a "miniature continent" since the territory is characterized by many small different ecosystems, ranging from rocky reliefs to green expanses, up to sandy coasts.
Every year it attracts for its sunny beaches and its pleasant and warm temperatures not only tourists looking for relaxation, but also hikers, lovers of cycling and water sports.
Here what to see absolutely in one day in Gran Canaria!
- One day itinerary in Gran Canaria: Morning
- One day itinerary in Gran Canaria: Afternoon
- One day itinerary in Gran Canaria: Evening
- User questions and comments
One day itinerary in Gran Canaria: Morning
1 - Playa de Las Canteras
The day starts in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria with breakfast at The Couple based on smoothies de frutas naturales and croissant de mantequilla for around € 5,00 per person; this charming place is located near one of the most enchanting places in the city: Playa de Las Canteras, which stretches for 3 km and is the main attraction of the city. You could take a quick walk (or a bath), the beach is divided into two parts: one is characterized by always calm waters thanks to the presence of the Barra, a particular natural cliff that makes it perfect for children; and a part to the south, called Cicer, a paradise for water sports lovers, so here it will be possible to enjoy for example the waves and the rough sea for surfing.
Along the beach stretches the Paseo de Las Canteras, seafront full of clubs of all kinds and shopping centers.
2 - Catedral de Santa Ana, Canarian Museum
After spending a few hours relaxing, move to the historic center of the city: Vegueta, declared a Unesco Heritage Site in 1990 and rich in history and beauty, reachable in 15 minutes by car via GC-1.
La Catedral de Santa Ana it is the perfect union between the neoclassical, gothic and renaissance style, it also contains sculptures dating back to the 700th century created by Jose Lujan Perez. It is open from Monday to Friday from 10:00 to 16:30 and Saturday from 10:00 to 13:30, € 2,40 (from the top of the south tower you can enjoy a splendid view, cost € 1,50).
Just two minutes walk from the cathedral you will find the Canary Museum: it collects a vast documentation on the Guanche civilization, or that of the aborigines who once inhabited the Canary archipelago and consists of 11 rooms. The most important attraction is certainly the Idol of Tara, a terracotta statue representing fertility (open at 10:00 - 20:00 and Saturday and Sunday 10:00 - 14:00, cost for adults is € 5,00, 3,00, students, elderly, unemployed and large families € ).
- Distance traveled: 9 km / 26 min (by car)
- Places visited: Playa de Las Canteras (free), Catedral de Santa Ana (€ 2,40), Museo Canario (€ 5,00)
- Las Palmas: 24-hour hop-on hop-off tour
- Where to have breakfast: The Couple, Paseo Las Canteras - Get directions
One day itinerary in Gran Canaria: Afternoon
1 - Dunes of Maspalomas
For lunch you could go to Tasca La Perdicion, a restaurant in the center of Vegueta that offers exquisite fish dishes for € 15,00 per person!
In the afternoon, move towards the south of the island with your car and along the GC-1 and GC-120 go to the Maspalomas Dunes, which you will reach in about 40 minutes. You will be delighted by the particularity of the desert landscape with the nearby ocean, declared in 1987 a Protected Natural Area of National Interest.
The reserve covers an area of about 4 hectares and has a life of its own thanks to the wind that blows across the sedimentary platform and moves them continuously. The peculiarity of the territory lies precisely in thealternation of dunes with lagoons and palm groves.
These are unique places of their kind not only from a landscape point of view, but also from a botanical, geomorphological and fauna point of view, a reason that every year attracts many tourists and enthusiasts from all over the world.
- Distance traveled: 54,1 km / 39 min (by car)
- Places visited: Maspalomas Dunes (free)
- 4-Hour Bike Tour and Camel Ride on the Dunes From Playa del Ingles: Stunning Jeep Safari to Fataga
- Where to have lunch: Tasca La Perdicion, Calle La Pelota, 14 - Get directions
One day itinerary in Gran Canaria: Evening
1 - Dinner, Playa del Inglés and Kasbah
At the end of your day you can dedicate yourself to a pleasant walk along the famous and nearby English beach.
For a price based on typical Spanish dishes, go to Gorro Blanco where you can enjoy an excellent paella paying an average of € 20,00.
Finally, you could spend your night at Kasbah, a shopping center, where you can choose among the many night clubs for all tastes: Pacha or Cream are recommended, but you can also choose from those dedicated to cabaret, karaoke or live music. It is just 700 meters from Playa del Inglés and can be reached in just 10 minutes on foot.
- Distance traveled: 1 km / 14 min
- Places visited: Playa del Inglés (free), Kasbah (free)
- Where to dine: Gorro Blanco, paseo Costa Canaria, 33 - Get directions
Before leaving: useful tips
- When to go to Gran Canaria: the best period is between April and October, when temperatures are higher and the sea waters are warmer.
- the reference airport is Gran Canaria Airport (LPA) also known as Aeropuerto Gando. To get around, use the buses of the Global company, € 2,30 (for example, line 60 connects the airport to Las Palmas).
- the most popular areas are on the southern coast, near Playa del Inglés, Meloneras, Puerto Rico and Puerto Mogán; however, the north of the island in the towns of Las Palmas and Agaete should not be underestimated.
- Useful documents: passport / identity card valid for expatriation.
- Getting around: it is advisable to use a "bono bus", a rechargeable ticket that can be used for various trips and for a specific travel distance, until the credit runs out (the company offering the service is called Global); basic fare for a ride € 1,40, it may vary for children, young people or under 65. However we recommend renting a car (from € 30,00 per day).
- Clothing: swimwear, light clothing and beach towel for the day, but also heavier clothing and long pants for the evening.
What not to see: the attractions that are better to give up
- Roque Nublo
- Palmitos Park
- Puerto de Mogán