Gran Canaria is one of the Canary Islands, and has a geographical territory of volcanic origin. Located in the Atlantic Ocean, off the coast of Morocco, it is one unmissable destination full of beaches and historical and cultural attractions. It has a varied territory, there are wonderful white sand beaches and black sand coves, a mountainous and desert hinterland and forests in the northern part. Its cities have from historic centers rich in culture, to beautiful buildings dating back to past eras, to beaches not far from urban centers.
Here is a small itinerary on what to see in Gran Canaria in 7 days!
- 1 day
- 2 day
- 3 day
- 4 day
- 5 day
- 6 day
- 7 day
- How much does a week cost in Gran Canaria
- Before leaving: useful tips
- User questions and comments
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria can be a great choice for the first day on the island. It is located on the northeastern tip and has an exceptional historical heritage, so much so that it has been declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site. In addition, there are some of the beaches most loved by the locals themselves.
In the morning you can reach the historic district where you can visit Plaza de Santa Ana, the Catedral de Santa Ana (open from 10:00 to 16:30), the Casa de Colon, where you can discover the era of Columbus (open from 10:00 to 18:00) and the Museo Canario, which contains exhibits on the prehistory of Gran Canaria (open from 10:00 to 20:00).
For a typical Spanish lunch you can stop at Dos Balcones (average cost per person € 10,00).
In the afternoon you can continue towards Altavista district, where you can enjoy a wonderful view over the city at the Mirador Cuatro Canones panoramic terrace, and then towards the district of Santa Catalina, the hub of many summer events and perfect place to taste the dishes of the typical cuisine of the Spanish archipelago.
Here, in fact, you can opt to dine at the Tasca Galileo restaurant (average cost per person € 15,00).
In the evening reach the Playa de Las Canteras, a 3 km long stretch of golden sand and much loved by the locals, you can enjoy a peaceful stroll along the wide promenade lined with large hotels and apartments.
- Distance traveled: 9 km / 1 h 53 min
- Places visited: Plaza de Santa Ana (free), Catedral de Santa Ana (€ 3,00), Casa de Colon (€ 4,00), Museo Canario (€ 5,00), Mirador Cuatro Canones (free), Playa de Las Canteras (free)
- Daily shopping: € 40,00
- lunch at Dos Balcones (Get directions), dinner at Tasca Galileo (Get directions)
Another stop to do during a holiday in Gran Canaria is the locality of Maspalomas, is located on the southern tip of the island and boasts a desert landscape, a golden beach and shallow crystal clear waters that make it ideal for families and children. From the capital Las Palmas it is about an hour's drive.
In the morning we advise you to reach famous dunes of Maspalomas and take the opportunity to take a camel ride in the dunes for only € 12,00 per person. This activity is carried out in the company of a Sahrawi guide and lasts about 30 minutes.
For lunch we recommend the Italian restaurant Mezzaluna Pizzeria & Trattoria (average cost per person € 10,00).
In the afternoon you can continue towards the Playa de Maspalomas and visit La Charca de Maspalomas, a natural lagoon separated from the sea by a small strip of sand, and then the Faro de Maspalomas, which with its 65 meters high dominates the coast.
In the evening you can stop for dinner in one of the many Mediterranean cuisine restaurants found along this coast, for example the Velero Casa Antonio is ideal for a good hearty dish of paella or pasta with fresh fish (average cost per person € 20,00, ).
- Distance traveled: 7,3 km / 1 h 30 min
- Places visited: Maspalomas dunes (free, camel ride € 12,00), Playa de Maspalomas (free), La Charca de Maspalomas (free), Faro de Maspalomas (free)
- Daily shopping: € 45,00 including the camel ride
- camel ride in the dunes of Maspalomas tour with barbecue, camel ride and show
- lunch at Mezzaluna Pizzeria & Trattoria (Get directions), dinner at Velero Casa Antonio (Get directions)
Along the southwestern coast is the town of Playa de Mogan, not far from Maspalomas. The tourist activity of this place has grown in recent years, and over time has earned the nickname "Venice of the Canaries".
In the morning we can advise you to start visiting the network of graceful seawater canals that make this place unique and that cross the historic center. Make the most of it to visit the Zona Arqueológica de Cañada de Los Gatos, a very well preserved pre-Hispanic site! Accessible from October to March from Tuesday to Sunday from 10:00 to 17:00, from April to September until 18:00.
For lunch you can stop at Jungle Rock, a restaurant with American cuisine located in a central area from which to move very easily (average cost per person € 15,00).
In the afternoon you might consider taking a 40-minute submarine tour. Right in front of the Puerto de Mogan there is the possibility of dive to the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean sitting in the cabin of a real submarine called the golden shark, the tour lasts about 40 minutes and thanks to the large portholes you can observe marine fauna and wrecks at a depth of 25 meters. An experience to live absolutely!
Once back at the port, stop for an hour or two to relax on the town beach.
For dinner, we recommend that you stop at the Italian restaurant La Cucina (average cost per person € 15,00). To then reach, a short distance away, a panoramic point that offers a spectacular view over the town, called Mirador Mogan.
- Distance traveled: 3,6 km / 46 min
- Places visited: Playa de Mogan old town (free), Zona Arqueológica de Cañada de Los Gatos (€ 4,00), Puerto de Mogan (free), submarine tour (€ 31,50), Playa de Mogan (free), Mirador Mogan (free)
- Daily shopping: € 65,00
- Mogán: 40-minute submarine tour Puerto de Mogán: Market tour and dolphin watching
- lunch at Jungle Rock (Get directions), dinner at La Cucina (Get directions)
Telde is a must visit, it is there second largest city on the island of Gran Canaria, and is located south of Las Palmas, in the area called the great plain. The historic center is full of charm, also thanks to the characteristic streets. A 15 minute drive takes you to the sea, and the beautiful beaches that stretch for about 10 km.
In the morning you can reach the city center, San Juan, which houses historic buildings like the Basilica de San Juan Bautista (open as early as 9:00 am). Also worth visiting Casa Museo Léon y Castillo, former home of a family that belonged to the local nobility, open from Tuesday to Sunday from 10:00 to 18:00, admission is free.
For lunch you can stop by Ensaladeria Creperia La Cosecha, which offers delicious sweet and savory dishes (average cost per person € 10,00).
In the afternoon then continue with your tour of the city, visit the Major pre-Hispanic historical landmarks of Gran Canaria, such as El Baladero and the Cuatro Puertas open-air museum, open every day from 6am to 00pm.
For the evening we recommend you reach the coast of Telde, its stretch is about 10 km long and there are several wonderful beaches, such as Melenara, Playa de San Borondon and Playa del Hombre. Right on this beach you can stop for dinner at La Cofradia De Taliarte Restaurante, a place overlooking the harbor and near the Lighthouse (average cost per person € 20,00).
- Distance traveled: 30,6 / 57 min by car
- Places visited: Basilica de San Juan Bautista (free), Casa Museo Léon y Castillo (free), El Baladero (free), Cuatro Puertas (free), Melenara (free), Playa de San Borondon (free), Playa del Hombre (free)
- Daily shopping: € 30,00
- lunch at Ensaladeria Creperia La Cosecha (Get directions), dinner at La Cofradia De Taliarte Restaurante (Get directions)
For this fifth day you can return to Maspalomas and stop in Playa del Inglés, another very popular resort in Gran Canaria located along the southern coast. This town is full of discos, shopping centers, restaurants and starred hotels, pubs and night clubs, to the point of being a very important tourist destination throughout Europe.
The morning enjoy a walk in the historic center and then you reach the Yumbo Centrum, a shopping center open 24 hours on 24 with clubs, bars and shops where you can dedicate yourself to do some shopping.
For lunch you can choose to stop at Miramar, a restaurant located in the shopping center where you can eat typical Spanish dishes based on meat or fish (average cost per person € 15,00).
In the afternoon you can enjoy the Paseo Costa Canaria, a pedestrian promenade lined with wonderful tropical flora and luxurious villas. Along this route is the Mirador lookout point, great for a view of the Playa and the dunes of Maspalomas. Then enjoy a few hours of relaxation on the beach.
After some relaxation, finish the walk along Paseo Costa Canaria and you will find yourself surrounded by cats, just like that. You find this little place called Avenida dos gatos, where sweet cats lying in the sun will let themselves be caressed and pampered. Here, stop for dinner at the Italian restaurant Il Duomo di Milano, run by Italians with exquisite dishes, decorated in shades of blue and white that recall the ocean on which the restaurant also overlooks (average cost per person € 20,00) .
- Distance traveled: 3,2 km / 41 min
- Places visited: Playa del Inglés old town (free), Yumbo Centrum (free), Paseo Costa Canaria (free), Mirador Playa del Inglés (free), Avenida dos gatos (free)
- Daily shopping: € 35,00
- lunch at Miramar (Get directions), dinner at Il Duomo di Milano (Get directions)
For the hiking enthusiasts there is an ideal place to visit, namely Aguimes. This locality has a very characteristic historical center, areas to be covered on foot between canyons and villages, and a few kilometers of beautiful beaches.
In the morning you can visit the historic center, recognizable by two towers of the Parroquia San Sebastian, a completely stone building from the th century considered one of the best examples of traditional Canarian architecture. The small medieval streets overlooked by ocher-colored houses are also characteristic of the historic center.
After exploring this part of the town, you can stop for lunch at Tasca Alegranza By Gonzalez, a tapas bar with a very rich menu (average cost per person € 15,00).
For the afternoon, however, wear comfortable shoes and visit the wonderful surroundings of the town! Start from Morro del Cuervo, considered an open-air museum, here you can admire at least 6 examples of rock art, accessible 24 hours a day. Then reach the Guayadeque, one of the largest canyons in the Canary Islands archipelago, and the Cocodrilo Park, an interesting zoological park where you can admire many animals, the entrance costs € 9,90 (open from 10:00 to 17:00). Obviously, as mentioned before, this is a recommended route for hikers.
In the evening you can reach the Playa de Vargas, located 15 km from Aguimes. Stop for dinner at the Restaurante Grill Playa de Vargas (average cost per person € 15,00), and then admire the beauty of this beach in Gran Canaria.
- Distance traveled: 27,5 km / 48 min by car
- Places visited: Parroquia San Sebastian (free), Morro del Cuervo (free), Guayadeque (free), Cueva Bermeja (free), Cocodrilo Park (€ 9,90), Playa de Vargas (free)
- Daily shopping: € 40,00
- Agüimes: entrance ticket to Cocodrilo Park
- lunch at Tasca Alegranza By Gonzalez (Get directions), dinner at Restaurante Grill Playa de Vargas (Get directions)
For the last day on the island of Gran Canaria, you can make a stop in the city of Arucas. Also known as the city of rum, in fact it hosts the largest distillery in the Canary Islands. Its center is full of historic buildings and beautiful just to see, and a short distance away you can reach a quiet beach where you can relax.
In the morning we advise you to reach the black beach of El Puertillo and maybe take a bath in peace, it is protected from the wind and waves and is also suitable for the little ones as it is not deep.
For lunch, head to Restaurante Terrace The Puertillo to taste one of their fresh fish dishes (average cost per person € 40,00).
After lunch awaits you a nice ride in the town of Arucas, dominated by the majestic neo-Gothic parish of San Juan Bautista (open from 16pm). A few steps away you can visit the small and delightful Museo Municipal de Arucas, it is necessary to know that it closes at 30:15, admission is free. Then you can reach the Heredad de Aguas de Arugas y Firgas area, a wonderful neoclassical building, and visit the Parque Municipal, a large garden full of all kinds of vegetation where you can relax in the greenery of nature (open from 30:9 to at 00:22).
In the evening you can opt to eat a good pizza at Royer's Pizza Arucas (average cost per person € 10,00), and then continue with a quiet stroll through the historic center in the evening.
- Distance traveled: 20,2 km / 35 min by car
- Places visited: Playa El Puertillo (free), Parroquia de San Juan Bautista (free), Museo Municipal de Arucas (free), Heredad de Aguas de Arugas y Firgas (free), Parque Municipal (free)
- Daily shopping: € 50,00
- lunch at Restaurante Terrace The Puertillo (Get directions), dinner at Royer's Pizza Arucas (Get directions)
How much does a week cost in Gran Canaria
NB: The prices expressed in the table above are to be intended "per person".
Gran Canaria offers many low cost possibilities, from hotels to restaurants, which are not as expensive as you might think. In addition, many museums and galleries are free to enter in many of the towns on the island. For transportation, it is convenient to rent a car to move in total freedom, without having to respect timetables and without wasting too much time. The cost of car rental for a week is around € 100,00 (then varies according to the type of car chosen). Local bus lines are convenient and cheap for getting from one city to another, not if you need to reach more remote areas.
- starting from € 100,00 -
- Hotel and b & b starting from € 40,00 per room -
- Las Palmas: 24-Hour Hop-On Hop-Off Dolphin Watching Cruise Mogán: 40-Minute Submarine Tour
- Total cost of a week, flight included: from € 640,00 per person
Before leaving: useful tips
- When to visit Gran Canaria: spring climate all year round with light rainfall in the winter months, from May to September instead is the best time for lovers of heat - find out more
- the airport is located between the municipalities of Telde and Ingenio, 18 km from the main city of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria. Local buses or taxis leave from the airport (around € 30,00 to Las Palmas)
- for a beach holiday the best area is towards the south-west coast (ideal locations are Arguineguin, Puerto de Mogan or Maspalomas). The capital Las Palmas, on the other hand, is ideal for lovers of nightlife
- Getting around: public buses, the yellow ones for getting around the urban area, the blue ones are interurban. Costs vary according to the line, generally the maximum price is around € 4,00. Alternatively we suggest car rental
- Recommended cards and passes: there is no card or pass, but you can book many experiences and activities online. The camel ride in the Maspalomas dunes is one of the most popular activities, along with the dolphin watching cruise