Fuerteventura is the second largest island of the Canary Islands and is the one closest to the African coast. Studded with white beaches and bays with transparent waters, surprises for its luxuriant flora of tamarisks, aloes and palms that tinge its hills with green that slope gently towards the Atlantic waves.
If its coasts are spectacular, the hinterland is no less: the island was declared a Biosphere Reserve by UNESCO and welcomes various protected natural spaces within its borders. Picturesque villages dot the magnificent scenery in white and offer visitors an international and always lively soul, and a very rich schedule of possible activities to choose from.
If you happen to be in these latitudes for the space of a single day, organizing the perfect itinerary is a must so as not to risk missing the best that the island has to offer. Here are our tips on what to see in Fuerteventura in one day!
- One day itinerary in Fuerteventura: Morning
- One day itinerary in Fuerteventura: Afternoon
- One day itinerary in Fuerteventura: Evening
- User questions and comments
One day itinerary in Fuerteventura: Morning
1 - Corralejo and the Corralejo Natural Park
Small introduction: since it is only one day and there is a long way to go, as well as things to see, so as not to waste time waiting for buses and connections we advise you to rent a car. The rental costs start from € 25,00 per day and in this way you will be faster and more independent.
To start the day in the best possible way, choose a breakfast that opens it in the sweetest way: a stop from New Bakery, in the picturesque village of Corralejo, will allow you to choose from a wide variety of high quality sweets and cakes (the cost will be proportionate to the excellence, but it's worth it: around € 6,00 / € 7,00 for a cappuccino and a slice of cake, plus an espresso).
Corralejo Natural Park is a wonderful one nature reserve overlooking the sea on the east coast of Fuerteventura. It is characterized by vast golden sand dunes that line the ocean, giving way in the southern part of the park to volcanic landscapes with rock formations with shades halfway between red and ocher. The Corralejo Dunes leave you speechless and to complete the perfect picture of this naturalistic place, the reserve also includes small and wonderful pristine beaches, loved by surfers and by the patrons who come here for the numerous concerts and festivals that are organized throughout the year.
2 - Tindaya Mountain
Your second stop will be an area in the typical hinterland of the island, one of the natural wonders of Fuerteventura with a strong spiritual appeal: the Mountain of Tindaya. It is possible to reach it either by car or by taking the Tiadhe line 8 from Corralejo to La Oliva and continuing with the 7 to Tindaya (about € 3,00).
This training was considered sacred by Aboriginal peoples who inhabited Fuerteventura in antiquity and is can be explored via a hiking trail which branches off on its southern side. Climbing on the ridges of the mountain, about 400 meters high, it is possible to have a splendid overview of the surrounding landscape. Tindaya is also guardian of an archaeological treasure of inestimable value, 300 rock carvings made by the tribes who had settled in this area, symbol and proof of the sacredness of the mountain.
- Distance traveled: 38,3 km / 43 min by car
- Places visited: Corralejo (free), Corralejo Natural Park (free), Tindaya Mountain (free)
- Fuerteventura and Corralejo: full-day tour from Lanzarote
- Where to have breakfast: New Bakery - Get directions
One day itinerary in Fuerteventura: Afternoon
1 - Puerto El Rosario
Get back behind the wheel, or resume line 7 (around € 2,00) to move towards the capital of Fuerteventura, Puerto El Rosario, a coastal town with an extremely relaxed attitude that hides an incredible thing in its alleys cultural wealth. Before enjoying each of its paths, have lunch at El Bounty del Muelle, a small but very welcoming place where you can enjoy sublime quality local dishes at fair prices (with around € 20,00 you can enjoy a lunch based on excellent fresh fish).
Then dedicate yourself to wandering through the streets of the town, take a look at the Church of la Virgen del Rosario and admire the dozens of sculptures that peek out in every corner of Puerto El Rosario: it is an artistic project called Parque Escultorico, created by local and international artists. Also worth a visit is the House-Museum of the poet Miguel de Unamuno and a walk in the port area of the city.
2 - Betancuria
Resume the journey then towards another internal stage of Fuerteventura, that is the ancient capital of the island Betancuria (by car or by line 2, around € 2,50).
Il name comes from its founder, the French Jean de Béthencourt who founded it in 1400, in a place sheltered by the hills and with a privileged and strategic position. It was the main city of the island until 1834, but despite having lost the title of capital, it has not lost its charm.
Among its historic alleys it is possible to browse among craft shops, souvenir shops and inns offering traditional flavors and endless taste. If you feel like taking a long walk among the views surrounding Betancuria, head towards the Mirador Morro Veloso. From here it is possible to observe more closely the peculiar characteristics of the island's hinterland and enjoy its unique natural scenery.
- Distance traveled: 48,6 km / hour by car
- Places visited: Puerto del Rosario (free), Betancuria (free), Morro Veloso (free)
- Fuerteventura: 3-hour dune buggy tour Fuerteventura: island tour by minibus
- Where to have lunch: El Bounty del Muelle - Get directions
One day itinerary in Fuerteventura: Evening
1 - Dinner in Morro Jable
The southern part of Fuerteventura is occupied by the Jandia peninsula. Largely made up of an unspoiled natural park, this peninsula is full of particularly windy beaches and suitable for practicing water sports such as surfing and kite surfing. Rugged mountains and wild coasts complete the panorama, making the south of the island a perfect place for those who love the truest nature.
From Betancuria drive south, or take line 2 back to La Ampuyenta and then line 1 which runs along the entire east side of the south coast. Stop for a stop in Morro Jable, to enjoy one seafront dinner sitting on Leo's terrace (for about € 20,00 / € 25,00) while the rays of the sun set and paint the town and the immense neighboring beaches with soft and relaxing colors.
- Distance traveled: 74,7 km / one hour and 15 min by car
- Places visited: Jandia Peninsula (free), Morro Jable (free)
- Fuerteventura: Oasis Park and Sea Lion Experience Fuerteventura: Panoramic Tour
- Where to dine: Leo's - Get Directions
Before leaving: useful tips
- What to bring: it is always advisable to bring a sweatshirt or a windbreaker with you, because despite the always pleasant temperatures, in higher or particularly windy areas of the island you risk feeling cold
- beaches: some beaches are very exposed to the wind, which constantly lashes the island, and are more suitable for those who love water sports, while others, generally those on the east coast, are more sheltered and characterized by a calmer and safer sea
- Getting around: an excellent choice is to rent a car (prices starting from € 25,00 per day), so that you can move freely, especially if you have little time; the island is also well served by the Tiadhe buses, with routes from the widespread distribution, you can buy the rechargeable BtF card (purchase cost € 2,00) which gives you a 5% discount on the cost of tickets, the prices of the rides they vary according to the length, but a complete ride from terminus to terminus can cost € 10,00
What not to see: the attractions to give up for lack of time
Although every corner of Fuerteventura deserves to be explored, one day only it is not enough to discover every meter.
The proposed itinerary allows you to travel the island from north to south, to get an overview of its natural sceneries and environments, its ocean-view marinas and the inland villages. Many attractions and places of interest are however remained excluded from the route. Some of these are listed below: a list from which you can take inspiration if you have more time or want to change the day tour following your own personal inspirations.
- Island of Lobos
- Malpais de la Arena
- Caleta de Fuste
- Costa Calma
- Cofete Beach