While a single day in Corfu isn't enough to explore and discover all that the island has to offer, with careful planning you will still be able to admire the best attractions. You must know, in fact, that Corfu is truly beautiful, and that you will probably leave with the desire to return.
For maximum freedom of movement, we highly recommend renting a car, which you can book in advance to save time. Here what to see in Corfu in one day.
- One day itinerary in Corfu: Morning
- One day itinerary in Corfu: Afternoon
- One day itinerary in Corfu: Evening
- User questions and comments
One day itinerary in Corfu: Morning
1 - Palaiokastritsa
With the car you reach one of the most beautiful beaches on the island, perhaps the most popular and famous: the bay of Palaiokastritsa. It can be reached in about 30 minutes from Corfu Town, it is a beautiful bay protected by the mountains close to a turquoise and transparent sea.
Have breakfast at Dolphin's (average cost € 5,00) e enjoy a few hours of sun and sea, a few steps from the shore you will also see many colorful fish and you will be surrounded by trees and flowers as if you were in a garden. Before leaving the bay, follow one of the narrow streets that climb the hills and enjoy the view of Palaiokastritsa from above.
2 - Monastery of Panagia Palaiokastritsa
Right in one of these viewpoints stands the Monastery of Panagia Palaiokastritsa, a small masterpiece that testifies to the traditional life of Greek monks. Originally built in the th century, the buildings we can admire today date back to the th century. Arranged on two levels, it is also possible to visit the interior, with the exception of the monks' cells.
The complex is open every day from 7:00 to 13:00 and from 14:00 to 20:00, admission is free. From here you can also also admire a great view both on the sea and on the whole bay.
- Distance traveled: 3,2 km / 42 min
- Places visited: Palaiokastritsa bay (free), Monastery of Panagia Palaiokastritsa (free)
- Palaiokastritsa and Corfu center: private tour of the coast
- Where to have breakfast: Dolphin, Palaiokastritsa 490 83, Greece (Get Directions)
One day itinerary in Corfu: Afternoon
1 - Achilleion
Returning to the capital, a visit to the Achilleion is a must, not before having lunch at Lefteris Psistaria Taverna, with an average cost of € 15,00.
The Achilleion is an idyllic palace that stands on a natural terrace which allows you to enjoy beautiful views of the island. It was the residence of Empress Elisabeth of Austria, known as Sissi, who, after some family tragedies and bored with life in Vienna, increasingly chose to retire to this palace. The visit to the palace is possible from June to August every day from 8:00 to 19:00, from September to May from 9:00 to 15:30, admission costs € 7,00.
2 - Vlachèrna Monastery
Before arriving in Corfu Town you can make another stop at the Vlachèrna Monastery, one of the most photographed places on the island.
It is a small monastery that it stands on a tiny islet connected to the island by a pedestrian bridge, a very characteristic white church in full Orthodox style, also equipped with a bell tower.
While visiting the monastery, which is always accessible, don't be frightened if you hear loud roars, these are airliners taking off or landing in theadjacent runway of Corfu Airport, located right on the sea: this is also a show!
- Distance traveled: 41,2 km / 1 h 2 min by car
- Places visited: Achilleion (€ 7,00), Vlachèrna Monastery (free)
- Private tour for cruises: Corfu town and Achilleion
- Where to have lunch: Lefteris Psistaria Taverna, in EO Kerkiras Achiliou, Gastouri (Get directions)
One day itinerary in Corfu: Evening
1 - Corfu Town historic center, dinner
One cannot leave Corfu without having visited the delightful historic center of its capital, aka Corfu Town. With its cobbled alleys full of small shops, outdoor tables, restaurants and markets, as well as churches, defensive walls, historic buildings and picturesque past, it is truly a very characteristic town, ideal for relaxing and strolling.
And maybe you can enjoy an aperitif in the harbor area while watching the sunset.
To end this intense but wonderful day, we recommend having dinner at Restaurant Anthos, a restaurant with typical Greek cuisine, with an average cost of € 25,00.
- Distance traveled: 6,7 km / 17 min by car
- Places visited: Corfu Old Town (free), Corfu Old Harbor (free)
- Corfu Town: Evening Guided Wine Tour
- Where to dine: Restaurant Anthos, in Maniarizi Arlioti 15, Kerkira - Get directions
Before leaving: useful tips
- rental car: although there is a public transport service, it is rather limited. Taxis are also quite expensive, so a car is the best solution (from € 20,00 / day)
- Mediterranean climate, temperatures are mild throughout the year, although rainfall is abundant in late autumn and winter. The best time to visit is therefore from March to the end of September
- clothing: comfortable and light, since the climate is always mild, with the foresight to have a sweatshirt available should there be bad weather or wind. Don't forget your swimsuit and sunscreen
- traditional cuisine: Greek food is genuine and cheap, so prefer local specialties by choosing to eat in traditional taverns and restaurants
What not to see: the attractions that are better to give up
- Pontikonissi islet ("mouse island"), it takes some time to reach it and unfortunately there is not much time at the destination, but you can admire it from a distance from the Vlacherna Monastery
- Angelokastro Fortress, it takes a long time to reach it as it is perched on top of a hill, but absolutely to be included in a multi-day itinerary
- Sidari and Canale dell'Amore, is located in the extreme north of the island, the time available is not enough to reach it without giving up other attractions
- Pelekas, a small characteristic village, but having little time it is better to visit Corfu Town