In the Ionian Sea, not even 2 hours from Puglia, Corfu, (Kérkyra in Greek), is the Greek island closest to the Italian coasts.
In fact, the island is very different from the classic Greek islands, for its urban landscape, but also for its peculiar mix that blends naturalistic beauties, crystal clear sea and high-level historical and cultural heritage.
A holiday here is therefore theideal for those who want to immerse themselves in turquoise waters, explore heavenly beaches and, at the same time, discover the past of the island, which experienced various dominations: Angevin, Venetian, English and French.
Here a 3-day itinerary to discover the main attractions of the island.
- 1 day
- 2 day
- 3 day
- How much does a weekend in Corfu cost
- User questions and comments
1 - Morning: Breakfast, Aelos Beach
Fate breakfast at Lotza Caffè (€ 4,00) and then, with your vehicle in less than 10 minutes you will be at Aelos Beach. Quiet beach with wonderful sea and sheltered by a verdant hill behind. Enjoy a morning of sun, sea and relaxation.
2 - Afternoon: Lunch, Achilleion, Corfu Town (Old Fortress, Liston, New Fortress, Spianada, Palazzo San Michele and San Giorgio)
Have lunch with a good plate of fresh fish at Taverna Tassos (€ 18,00) and get ready for a cultural afternoon. Take the EO Kerkiras Achiliou road, in about 5 minutes (3,4 km) or take bus number B7 from Gastourion to reach theAchilleion, also known as "Palazzo di Sissi" (open in summer 8: 00-19: 00, in winter 9: 00-15: 30, price € 7,00).
The Achielleion, built by the Neapolitan architect Raffaele Caritto, is in Pompeian style and recalls, in every detail, the classical Greek tradition and the myth of Achilles, whose colossal bronze statue dominates the gardens.
In the late afternoon, head towards the historic center (10 minutes by your own vehicle via the EO Kerkiras Achiliou road or bus 10, € 1,10). In the heart of Corfu Town, head to the wonderful Old Fortress (9: 00-16: 00, € 4,00). Continue towards the Liston, a splendid arcaded palace (to be admired only from the outside) and from here head towards the New Fortress (9: 00-15: 30, € 4,00) taking Nikiforou Theotoki street. Going back towards the Liston, a few meters away, there is the Spianáda, a huge square with gardens, fountains and paths that lead to the seafront where you will see Palazzo di San Michele and San Giorgio (today Museum of Asian Art - 9: 00-16: 00, € 4,00).
3 - Evening: Dinner, Evening Walk to Corfu Town
Price typical from Ta Kokoria (€ 16,00), a few meters from the square.
After dinner, stroll through the cobbled alleys of the center, browsing through the little shops in search of some typical and artisanal products to take home as souvenirs and then relax with a drink and some music from The Funk.
- Distance traveled: 18,7 km / 3 h 56 min
- Places visited: Aelos Beach (free), Achilleion (€ 7,00), Liston (free), Spianada (free), Asian Art Museum (€ 4,00), Old Fortress (€ 4,00), New Fortress (€ 4,00, ), Corfu Town (free)
- Corfu: Achilleion, Kanoni & Old Town Tour Achilleion, Kanoni & Corfu Old Town: Private Tour
- breakfast at Lotza Cafè (Get directions); lunch at Taverna Tassos (Get directions); dinner at Ta Kokoria (Get directions)
1 - Morning: Breakfast, Cruise from Lefkimmi port, Paxos
The islands of Paxos and Antipaxos, and the famous Blue Caves are 3 jewels of the Ionian Sea can be visited with one full day cruise.
The best way to do this tour is to rely on local agencies which offer complete packages or a private tour (from € 28,00 - book your tour online).
Head to Porto Lefkimmi area (with bus n.1 from the city center € 1,20 or with your own vehicle towards Achiliou Agiou). If you do not buy an already organized tour, please take into account about € 20,00 for the ferry that leaves from Agiou Nikolau.
During the first part of navigation, heading south towards the Kanoni Peninsula, you will enjoy spectacular views over the Venetian castles of Corfu Town. Along the coast you can also admire the Mon Repo Palace and the cities of Perama, Benitses and Kavos.
Continue navigation and get off at Paxos, the island which, according to legend, was formed by Poseidon when he separated it from Corfu with his trident, in order to create a love nest for his wife Amphitrite. Enter the natural bay of Lakka, admire the magnificent view of the olive trees and cypresses that cover it, stroll through the alleys of traditional village or reach the beaches for swimming and sunbathing.
2 - Afternoon: Lunch, Blue Caves, Antipaxos
Have lunch from Genesis Restaurant (moussaka € 9,00, prawns € 15,00) and resume navigation along the west coast of Paxos to enter the Blue Caves, where a colony of monk seals lives.
Continue navigation until the small Antipaxos island for swimming off the Paradise Beach (Voutoumi).
After this relaxing break, it's time to return. Embark again and, sailing along the east coast of Paxos to return to Corfu, admire the view of the islets of Skaltsonisi and Mongonisi.
3 - Evening: Dinner, Corfu Town
After such a busy day, we suggest one quiet evening to spend in Corfu Town.
Enjoy one price typical at the outdoor tables of the Pergola Taverna (€ 20,00).
After dinner, if you are not too tired, take a walk in the historic center of the old city, Unesco World Heritage Site.
The most characteristic district is the Campiello, with cobbled streets, terraces overlooking the sea and elegant squares overlooked by palaces with clear signs of the Byzantine, Venetian, English and French dominations.
- Distance traveled: 116 km / 14 h 52 min
- Places visited: Paxos (free), Blue Caves (free), Antipaxos (free)
- Antipaxos, Paxos & Blue Caves: Cruise from Corfu Corfu: Day Cruise to Paxos, Antipaxos & Blue Caves
- breakfast at Altro Cafè (Get directions); lunch at Genesis Restaurant (Get directions); dinner at Pergola Taverna (Get directions)
1 - Morning: Breakfast, Paleokastritsas
Reach the west coast of the island (bus 9 from Corfu Town € 1,10 or half own via Palaiokastritsas, 23km and 33 minutes).
for breakfast we suggest the Tango Bar-café in the area (€ 5,00).
Morning by the sea a Paleokastritsas, one of the most enchanting places on the island where uncontaminated nature and crystal clear sea merge giving life to what the Corfiots themselves define "The most beautiful place in the world".
It is a jagged and rocky coast where you can choose between 5 bays and 6 inlets of sand or rock. Legend has it that the meeting between Ulysses and Nausicaa took place here. Before lunch, take some time to take a walk in the village, very picturesque and traditional with the Theotokon Monastery in the center.
2 - Afternoon: Lunch, Sidari, Canale dell'Amore
Lunch quick and easy from O Meraklis (pita or gyros + medium drink of € 6,00) and then get back on the road to move towards the north of the island (40 minutes, 25 km via the Skriperou-Peroulades road or bus B € 11,10, ) to reach thelovely paradise of Sidari, picturesque village whose geological conformation is characterized by a series of high sandy and rocky walls, eroded by the sea and smoothed by the wind, in an imaginative and wavy way, it creates very fascinating coves, beaches and small natural inlets. The sea is transparent and crystalline, with a sandy bottom.
To make it romantic is the presence of the famous Canale dell'Amore, a deep natural inlet which forms a series of bays and canals in the yellow-pink rock of the coast that represent some of the most beautiful beaches on the island. Legend has it that couples who swim in the canal are destined to get married soon!
For the beauty of the landscape we suggest you stay here until sunset.
3 - Evening: Dinner, Agios Georgios
Travel a little south inland (in 14 minutes or bus B, € 1,20) to spend the last evening at Agios Georgios, pleasant and peaceful village where "everything goes slow".
Not yet stormed by mass tourism, this is a small town where you can feel the local atmosphere with friendly tavernas, restaurants and a few gift shops. Enjoy one price quiet based on excellent fish at Porto Timoni with spectacular sea views (€ 25,00). And for after dinner, a good drink and some music at the Ammos Beach club.
- Distance traveled: 40 km / 1 h 21 min by car
- Places visited: Paleokastritsas (free), Sidari (free), Channel of Love (free), Agios Georgios (free)
- breakfast at Tango Bar-Cafè (Get directions); lunch at O Meraklis (Get Directions); dinner at Porto Timoni (Get directions)
How much does a weekend in Corfu cost
While not among the most expensive Greek destinations, Corfu it is certainly not what can be considered a low-cost destination.
The accommodations are a bit expensive, starting from € 65,00 per room. And as far as flights are concerned, the fares are certainly not the most attractive you have to book well in advance the holiday so as to save.
For life by the sea it is possible to save money because in every beach and cove there is always the area used for free bathing, therefore it is not compulsory to pay for the services of an establishment (average of € 15,00).
For guided excursions, especially to reach the other islands, the most comfortable solution is to rely on already organized tours which include everything.
Taking an average of the expenses for food, services, accommodation and flights, it results a average spending weekend, let's see in detail:
- Costs to eat: about € 38,00 per day per person (including breakfast, lunch, dinner)
- Costs for museums and attractions: about € 55,00 per person following the itinerary we suggest
- Transportation: about € 30,00 per day for car rental (€ 90,00 for the entire weekend). Instead, consider € 15,00 each way for the transfer to and from the airport by taxi
- Hotels, accommodation and b & b: Hotel and b & b starting from € 65,00 per room -
- Fun: from € 25,00 per person per day (including snacks, coffee, aperitifs, drinks, petrol ...)
- Total cost of a weekend in Corfu: from € 450,00 per person (flights and / or transfers excluded)
Before leaving: useful tips
- When to visit Corfu: Mediterranean climate. From June to August the temperatures rise significantly (even up to 40 ° C), however the island is swept by the Meltemi which refreshes the air and makes the stay pleasant.
- landed at Ioannis Kapodostrias airport (on the outskirts of the island) just 2 km from the capital, the most convenient and fastest way to reach your final destination is by taxi (€ 15,00), alternatively the N5 or N6 (€ 1,20) or private transfer.
- the main areas to choose from are: Kerkyra or Kassiopi (east) with very beautiful beaches and sea; Sidari (north) shallow water perfect for children, Paleokastritsa (west) sea top; Gouvia, Dassia and Ipsos (east) for young people.
- Getting around: the ideal is to rent your own vehicle (car, from € 30,00 per day or scooter, from € 8,00 per day). The bus service is also convenient (single ticket € 1,10, if purchased directly on the vehicle € 1,50, day ticket € 5,00).
- Useful documents: valid identity card or passport.
Most Interesting Articles
- maldives islands where they are when to go and what to see
- ranking of the most rude countries in the world
- top 10 mafias in the world the richest and most powerful criminal organizations
- the 15 biggest and most beautiful zoos in the world official ranking
- top 10 biggest and most beautiful zoos in europe official ranking