Located a few kilometers from the city of Naples and bathed by the waters of the homonymous gulf, Capri is one of the most beautiful and most popular islands of the Campania archipelago, together with the nearby Ischia and Procida.
It offers much more rugged and wild scenery thanks to its famous stacks and the countless caves along its coasts. Perfect destination to visit in any season, even if it is in spring / summer that the island shows its best, when it is completely covered with lush vegetation, attracting visitors from all over the world.
Here is a specific itinerary to visit Capri in one day!
- One day itinerary in Capri: Morning
- One day itinerary in Capri: Afternoon
- One day itinerary in Capri: Evening
- User questions and comments
One day itinerary in Capri: Morning
1 - Church of San Costanzo, Scala Fenicia, Villa of San Michele
As soon as you disembark at the tourist port of the island, after having tackled the Naples-Capri route by sea, there is no better way to start the day than having a nice Neapolitan breakfast at the Il Gabbiano Bar near the port.
Follow the seafront for a while towards the very busy one Cala Grande beach and then continue in the direction of the monumental Church of San Costanzo: this is the religious building dedicated to the patron saint of the island, to which the local inhabitants are very devoted. After a short visit, head for the Villa of San Michele, the most interesting museum in the locality of Anacapri: articulated on several levels, it houses numerous archaeological finds found in Campania; moreover, here there is a belvedere that offers a priceless view of the entire Gulf of Naples (€ 8,00; opening hours 9: 00-16: 00)
2 - Blue Grotto
After the exploration of the museum, it is time to admire one of the most visited naturalistic attractions of the whole Capri up close: the scenic Blue Grotto.
To get there, we recommend that you take advantage of a comfortable taxi which will lead you up to the stairway overlooking the sea through which you can walk to the entrance of the cave (otherwise, frequent connections by sea are guaranteed from the port of Marina Grande to the cave) to better organize your stay we recommend you to buy the boat tour in advance online (from € 18,00).
The cave is a natural cavity over 60 meters long, with a single entrance and characterized by waters of infinite shades of blue / blue. We are sure that you will be speechless and that you will feel satisfied despite the high cost of the entrance ticket: about € 14,00 per person. (Entrance only in spring / summer, from 9:00 to 17:00) - find out more about how to get there, prices and tips
- Distance traveled: 6,2 km / 1 h 25 min
- Places visited: Church of San Costanzo, Phoenician Staircase, Villa of San Michele, Blue Grotto
- Capri and Anacapri: full-day tour by bus and hydrofoil Tour with Blue Grotto, funicular and lunch
- Where to have breakfast: Bar Il Gabbiano (Get directions)
One day itinerary in Capri: Afternoon
1 - Lunch, Piazzetta, Certosa di San Giacomo, Gardens of Augustus
Back in Marina Grande (by land or by sea), walk towards the famous one Piazzetta of Capri (actually Piazza Umberto I), the real nerve center of the island. Here the main events of Capri take place, as well as being a huge concentration of shops and restaurants. For lunch, we suggest the Pulalli Restaurant (menu based on fish and Mediterranean cuisine, about € 30,00 per person).
After eating and enjoying the lively atmosphere of the square, walk for about 6 minutes to the Certosa di San Giacomo: it is the oldest monastery on the island, built in 1371. In addition to being a beautiful architectural complex in stone and marble, it is also an enchanting place to rest and shelter from the beating sun of the early afternoon. Stroll in the shade of the cloister and enjoy some quiet in the neighbors Gardens of Augustus, accessible with a cumulative ticket (about € 5,00; Charterhouse and gardens open from 10:00 to 18:00).
2 - Via Krupp, Beaches of Marina Piccola
From the Gardens of Augustus, take a stroll up to the most famous and picturesque street of the entire Gulf of Naples: we are referring to Via Krupp, the cheerful street that connects the historic center of Capri to the seaside area of Marina Piccola. Built in the early 900s thanks to a German steel magnate, this winding road offers amazing views of the cliffs below.
For the remainder of the afternoon, you might think about spending a few hours relaxing in one of the many coves in the area of Marina Piccola (so beautiful that they are among the most popular beaches in Capri!). In this case, if you walk in the direction of the Scoglio delle Sirene you will come across two public beaches which are also suitable for children; alternatively follow in the opposite direction towards the Scoglio Unghia Marina and the coves free of pebbles and rock.
- Distance traveled: 4,0 km / 52 min
- Places visited: small square, Certosa di San Giacomo, Gardens of Augustus, Via Krupp, Beaches of Marina Piccola
- Walking tour Small group tour
- Where to have lunch: Pulalli Restaurant (Get directions)
One day itinerary in Capri: Evening
1 - Belvedere Tragara, Faraglioni of Capri, Dinner
Finally, to end your day in Capri in the best possible way, from Via Krupp / Giardini di Augusto follow the signs for Belvedere Tragara (reachable in about 15 minutes on foot). Here you can enjoy a superb view of the Blue, moreover a downhill path will lead you directly to one of the most representative symbols of the island: the iconic Faraglioni of Capri. More than 100 meters high, these three rocky peaks (also identified as Faraglione di Terra, Faraglione di Mezzo and Faraglione di Fuori) have been considered for centuries the natural guardians of the island, in addition to still hosting the very rare blue lizard.
At this point, all you have to do is admire the sun setting over the water and then enjoy an excellent dinner at the romantic restaurant Da Luigi ai Faraglioni: location with a super view and good value for money (dinner from € 35,00 per person ).
- Distance traveled: 600 m / 12 min
- Places visited: Belvedere Tragara, Faraglioni of Capri
- Capri Private Full-Day Boat Tour from Sorrento
- Where to dine: Da Luigi ai Faraglioni (Get directions)
Before leaving: useful tips
- Best time: late spring / early summer. This is the most beautiful period because it is not too hot yet, moreover the island is not yet besieged by too many tourists (in July, but especially in August, the situation is very different!)
- it is necessary to do it by sea starting from the city of Naples. In particular, hydrofoils leave from Molo Beverello (€ 20,00 each way), while ferries and fast ships leave from Calata di Porta Massima dock (€ 15,00 each way)
- What to pack: light clothes for the summer, with a sweater and scarf for the evening or boat trips. Cap, sunscreen, sunglasses, camera. Fins and mask for snorkelling and diving enthusiasts
What not to see: the attractions that are better to give up
For lack of time, it is better to give up visiting:
- Natural Arch
- Punta Carena lighthouse
- Hermitage of Santa Maria di Cetrella
- White Cave
- Villa Jovis