Talking about Cambridge it inevitably reminds us of the University, one of the most prestigious in the world. Yes, it's true, but the town on the banks of the river of the same name is not just that.
Cambridge is a small Roman jewel in the east of Great Britain, 80 kilometers from the most famous London. Precisely for its small size it is possible to visit it in one day without missing anything. The only diktat is to start the visit early in the morning because it is always populated by many tourists. Famous for science and mathematics studies, its colleges were built in medieval and neoclassical styles and are among the most famous in the world. Here what to see in Cambridge in one day.
- Cambridge day itinerary: Morning
- Cambridge day itinerary: Afternoon
- Cambridge day itinerary: Evening
- User questions and comments
Cambridge day itinerary: Morning
1 - Botanical Garden, breakfast
Wake up early for a visit to the Cambridge University Botanical Garden not far from the station. Inside it is possible to discover numerous species of plants and rest for a while on some bench surrounded by greenery. At the end of the visit, which does not take too long, stop at Garden cafe, the charming bar inside the garden to enjoy the classic English breakfast with smoked bacon (around € 4,00) or with porridge with banana, maple syrup and walnuts (around € 3,50). To drink, an excellent hot chocolate if it's cold (€ 1,80) or the traditional English breakfast tea (€ 1,40).
2 - University, Great's St Mary's Church, Senate House
It is time to visit the various colleges. Walking down Trumpington street you arrive at Corpus Christi College, founded in 1352 by the guild of the body of Christ and the Blessed Virgin Mary. Curious is the Corpus Clock, a clock made by Stephen Hawking which represents the irregularity of life and the inevitable passage of time. Taking the Senate House Passage you reach the King's College, one of the most beautiful and famous buildings in Cambridge. Its chapel deserves our time for its beauty. Admission is subject to a fee, but if we want to enter for free we can attend mass at 17.30.
Always walking along the Senate House Passage you will arrive in front of the church of Great St Mary, one of the most beautiful, so much so that it became part of the British National Heritage. It is known as the university church. From its tower you can enjoy a suggestive view of the city. From here, precisely in a minute you arrive at Senate House, the place where diplomas are awarded to students.
- Distance traveled: 2,8 km / 35 min
- Places visited: university botanical garden (€ 6,00 - children free), Corpus Christi College (free), King's College (€ 9,00), Great St Mary's church (€ 4,00), Senate house (€ 6,00, ).
- 24 h ticket for hop on hop off bus guided walking tour of Cambridge
- Where to have breakfast: Garden cafe, 1 Brookside
Cambridge day itinerary: Afternoon
1 - Lunch, Round Church, River Cam, Bridge of Sighs
Lunch at Price, a restaurant not far from the last church we visited, intimate and welcoming. Here you can taste delicious dishes spending an average of € 10,00
We get back on the road, walking along Green street in less than 5 minutes we reach the Round Church, round church of which there are only four examples in all of England. Dating back to 1330, it is inspired by the Holy Sepulcher of Jerusalem. After this visit, we take Bridge street and head for punting, or rent a boat and be fascinated by River Cam. You can choose to drive it or let us drive it, usually by a university student. During the voyage, our attention will have to be turned to everything that surrounds the river, focusing on Bridge of Sighs. Made in a romantic style by architect Henry Hutchinson, it was a favorite of Queen Victoria.
2 - Trinity college, Trinity College library
After the ride on the river, taking the reverse route we return to Trinity College which is one of the oldest and most famous in Cambridge. The backs, the gardens that surround the college, are fascinating and deserve all our time. As well as the interior of the structure where you can breathe the history and the typical culture of the town. Founded by Henry VIII in 1546, it was the college of personalities such as Isaac Newton, Ludwig Wittgenstein, Vladimir Nobokov. Do not miss a visit to the library which contains important original manuscripts as well as having an architecture of rare beauty.
- Distance traveled: 2,5 km / 31 min
- Places visited: Round Church (€ 3,50), River Cam (free), Bridge of Sighs (free), Trinity College (€ 8,00)
- boat tour shared with driver guided tour of the university with a student
- Where to have lunch: Price, 32 Bridge St.
Cambridge day itinerary: Evening
1 - Dinner and The Pickerel Inn
We head back to King's College using the Senate House Passage to conclude our day visit. We stop to have dinner in one of the most famous pubs in Cambridge, The Eagle. Made in the 10,00th century, this is where the discovery of the structure of DNA was announced. Being a pub the prices are not very high, but the menu is interesting. With € you can eat and drink.
After dinner if you stay in Cambridge we still have some time to spend the evening pleasantly. The Pickerel Inn it is a very characteristic pub, the oldest in the city, where it is possible to spend a few hours in company, perhaps sipping a beer.
- Distance traveled: 1,2 km / 17 min
- Places visited: King's College, The Eagle pub, Pickerel Inn pub
- Where to dine: The Eagle pub, 8 Benet Street
Before leaving: useful tips
- the visit starts early in the morning. Despite being small and easy to visit, Cambridge is always packed with tourists, so leave early.
- Always carry an umbrella: its climate is influenced by the Atlantic Ocean, so it is humid and temperate. There is always the possibility of precipitation and weather changes even within the same day.
- Pay attention to clothing: dresses in layers in both summer and winter. You will always have to be ready for the whims of the weather. Bring a rain jacket with you.
- SneakersTake it with you because Cambridge can only be visited on foot or by bicycle.
- if you decide to extend your visit, take a look at our accommodation offers
Most Interesting Articles
- maldives islands where they are when to go and what to see
- ranking of the most rude countries in the world
- top 10 mafias in the world the richest and most powerful criminal organizations
- the 15 biggest and most beautiful zoos in the world official ranking
- top 10 biggest and most beautiful zoos in europe official ranking