Egyptian capital located on the banks of the Nile River, Cairo is a city that it contains history and culture. A place that is often visited quickly and in passing before reaching other destinations, but which in reality deserves to be seen calmly.
Among the interesting museums, the Pyramids representing Ancient Egypt, the mosques, the Suq, the beautiful gardens, a cruise on the placid waters of the Nile and the wonderful surroundings, here's what to see in cairo in 5 days.
- 1 day
- 2 day
- 3 day
- 4 day
- 5 day
- How much does it cost 5 days
- Before leaving: useful tips
- User questions and comments
Start by visiting the Citadel (9: 00-16: 00, 50 Egp / € 2,50). Reachable by taxi, 17 Egp / € 1,00. Inside this fortress there are several buildings, visit the Mohamed Ali mosque, also known as the Alabaster Mosque, one of the most important (9: 00-16: 00, 35 Egp / € 1,70).
Reach the sumptuous on foot in 20 minutes (or by taxi) Mosque-Madrassa of Sultan Hassan (9:00-17:00, 25 Egp/€1,20).
Before visiting it, have lunch at Balya Fish (€ 12,00).
At 2 km there is the Al Azhar Park (9: 00-22: 00, 20 EGp / € 1,00), where you can admire a beautiful view of the city. In 10 minutes on foot you arrive at the Al Azhar Mosque, a beautiful oriental-style building, which houses an old university which teaches Islamic history (9: 00-17: 00, 10 Egp / € 0,50).
Finally get to the neighbor souk Khan-El-Khalili (10: 00-3: 00), where you can immerse yourself in the colorful atmosphere of this large market full of perfumes and handicrafts. Dine in the souk at Fatatry Elhosein (€ 15,00).
- Distance traveled: 10,7 km / 2 h 17 min
- Places visited: Sultan Hassan Mosque (25 EGP / € 1,20) Citadel (50 EGP / € 2,50), Mohamed Alì Mosque (35 EGP / € 1,70), Al-Azhar Mosque (10 EGP / € 0,50 , 20), Al-Azhar Park (1,00 EGP / € ), Khan-El-Khalili (free)
- Daily shopping: 40,00 (includes cost of attractions, transfers, meals)
- Private car rental with driver
- Lunch at Balya Fish Get Directions, Dinner at Fatatry Elhosein Get Directions
Reach the Coptic Quarter, within the walls of ancient Babylon, the largest Christian community in Egypt. You can take a taxi in 13 minutes from the center (about 35 Egp / € 2,00) or in 30 minutes with metro line 1 from Sadat to Mar Girgis.
Visit in about 1 hour and a half the Coptic Museum (9: 00-16: 00, 50 Egp / € 3,00) to learn about Egyptian history through documents, statues and artifacts.
Don't miss the church of San Sergio, Abu Sarga and Ben Ezra synagogue (9: 00-16: 00).
For lunch, stop by Old Cairo Restaurant Cafe where you can eat excellent falafel (€ 9,00).
In the afternoon by taxi (15 minutes, 50 Egp / € 3,00) you reach theisland of Geziracabout, a piece of land located on the Nile River. Get on the Cairo Tower (9: 00-1: 00, 70 Egp / € 3,40), considered the second most important monument in Egypt.
In the neighbor Zamalek district full of shops and important cultural centers, admire the Opera House Theater and pay a visit to the Egyptian Museum which exhibits paintings and sculptures from the 10th and 00st century (14: 00-17: 00 and 20: 00-10: 0,50, EGp / € ).
Take a Nile cruise, and dine aboard the boat, enjoy the city from the river and entertainment with belly dancing and Arabic music (book online, € 22,50 and includes hotel pickup).
- Distance traveled: 7,6 km / 1 h 37 min
- Places visited: Coptic Quarter (free), Coptic Museum (50 Egp / € 3,00), Church of St. Sergius and Bacchus (free), Ben Ezra Synagogue (free), Cairo Tower (70 Egp / € 3,40), neighborhood Zalamek (free), Museum of Modern Egyptian Art (10 EGp / € 0,50)
- Daily shopping: € 45,00 (includes cost of attractions, transfers, meals, cruise)
- Nile cruise with dinner and entertainment
- Lunch at Old Cairo Restaurant Cafe (Get directions) Dinner at Nile boat
With a private tour or a taxi (cost about 90 Egp, € 5,50) you can reach the Plain of Giza, symbol of the history of Egypt, 25 km.
Visit the pyramid complex where you find the Pyramid of Cheops, the largest and also accessible inside (not recommended for those suffering from claustrophobia), that of Khafre of Micerino e the Sphinx (the complex 6: 00-20: 00, 80 Egp / € 3,80 + Cheops 200 Egp / € 9,50 + Little Pyramid 120 Egp / € 5,70).
If you are on an organized tour you will be served a lunch at a local restaurant, alternatively you can grab a slice of pizza from Pizza Hut at the entrance to the pyramid complex.
In the afternoon the tour includes a visit to Saqqara, reachable by taxi (90 Egp / € 5,50).
Here you can admire the wonderful Step pyramid built for pharaoh Djoser (8: 00-17: 00, 80 EGp / € 4,71).
Finally go to Memphis, the ancient Egyptian capital with the colossus of Ramses II and the alabaster sphinx (8: 00-17: 00, 80 Egp / € 4,71).
Return to Cairo in the late afternoon and prepare for the evening in Islamic Cairo neighborhood, always reachable by taxi (40 Egp / € 2,30).
Dine at Ibn Hamido Seafood (average cost per person about € 15,00).
- Distance traveled: 96,7 km / 8 hours (with guided tour)
- Places visited: Plain of Giza (80 Egp / € 3,80 + extra for Cheops 200 Egp / € 9,50 + Little Pyramid 120 Egp / € 5,70), Saqqara (90 Egp / € 5,50), Memphis (80 Egp / € 4,71)
- Daily shopping: € 63,00 (includes cost of attractions, transfers, meals); € 65,00 approximately (with private tour and dinner)
- Pyramids of Giza, Sakkara and Memphis: private tour with lunch
- Lunch at a restaurant on the tour, Dinner at Ibn Hamido Seafood (Get directions)
Near the metro stop "Sadat" there is Tahrir Square, here in addition to the Omar Makram Mosque, there is an Ottoman statue, the building of the Arab League and the very famous Egyptian museum.
Spend all morning visiting this museum, considered the most comprehensive in the country (9: 00-17: 00, Thu and Sun until 21:00).
For lunch, go to Bab El Sharq (€ 25,00).
In the afternoon, take a taxi (about 50 Egp / € 3,00) to reach theForest Botanical Garden (9: 00-17: 00, 10 Egp / € 0,50) 3 km, a park-garden that has no Islamic ornaments but a rich vegetation with palm trees, bamboos, conifers, roses, cacti and a pond with lotus.
Finally, by taxi in 10 minutes (60 Egp / € 3,54) or in 35 minutes by metro 2 from "Dokki Station" to "Sadat", go to Corniche, the beautiful walk along the Nile River.
Dine on the romantic Nile Terrace (from € 35,00).
- Distance traveled: 14,7 km / 3 h 18 min
- Places visited: Tahrir Square (free), Egyptian Museum (60 EGP / € 3,00), Orman Botanical Garden (10 Egp / € 0,50), Corniche (free)
- Daily shopping: € 60,00 (includes cost of attractions, transfers, meals)
- Priority entrance to the Egyptian Museum Ticket to the Egyptian Museum with transfer
- Lunch at Bab El Sharq (Get directions) Dinner at Nile Terrace (Get directions)
Take a trip out of town in the beautiful and important Alexandria of Egypt.
The best way to visit is with a private tour of the historical sites (from € 52,00) that will pick you up from your hotel early in the morning.
In about 2 hours and 30 by bus you will arrive you can immediately dedicate yourself to visiting theRoman amphitheater (9: 00-17: 00, 40 Egp / € 2,00) with marble stones that once housed 800 people. The garden that surrounds it and the mosaics of the adjacent Roman baths are also very interesting. As a last stop for the morning visit the Catacombs of Kom El Shoqafa (8: 00-16: 00, 80 Egp / € 4,00), a cemetery from the nd century AD considered one of the seven wonders of the Middle Ages.
For lunch you will be taken to a local restaurant (the price is included in the tour).
In the afternoon visit the Alexandria Library (10: 00-19: 00, 80 EGp / € 4,00), one of the largest and most famous in the world.
To conclude, take a walk in the citadel of Qaitbay, built on the ruins of the famous lighthouse of Alexandria and then returned to Cairo.
For the last evening we suggest you have dinner on the island of Gezira at the Abou el Sid restaurant (€ 25,00).
- Distance traveled: 460 km / 10 hours (with guided tour)
- Places visited: Alexandra of Egypt: Roman amphitheater (40 Egp / € 2,00); Catacombs of Kom El Shoqafa (80 Egp / € 4,00), Library of Alexandria (80 EGp / € 4,00), citadel of Qaitbay (free)
- Daily shopping: € 90,00 (includes cost of attractions, transfers, meals and organized tour)
- Alexandria: Historic Sites Tour from Cairo Alexandria Egypt: Library, Amphitheater & Gardens Alexandria Day Tour
- Lunch at local restaurant included in the tour), Dinner at Abou el Sid (Get directions)
How much does it cost 5 days
NB: The costs expressed in the table above are to be intended per person.
Cairo is one rather cosmopolitan city and it is possible to find accommodation and rooms for all needs and financial resources.
Those wishing to save money can eat inside the numerous markets that offer Egyptian food, while those who do not mind spending will find luxurious panoramic restaurants specializing in all types of cuisine.
The entrance fees to museums and attractions are quite affordable, but if you don't have budget problems, you will we suggest to always take guides that give added value to visits and to participate in organized tours.
- starting from € 107,00 -
- Hotel and b & b starting from € 35,00 per room -
- Recommended tours: Alexandria Historical Sites Full Day Tour Night Tour Discovering Hidden Secrets Priority Entrance to the Egyptian Museum 1 or 1 hour felucca ride on the Nile
- Total cost of 5 days, flight included: from € 530,00 per person
Before leaving: useful tips
- When to visit Cairo: from October to May when temperatures are bearable and ideal for discovering the wonders of Egypt
- from Italy there are direct flights to Cairo International Airport, which is only 18 km from the city center, reachable by taxi with about 85 Egp, € 5,00
- in the center, near Tahrir square or on the island of Gezira
- Getting around: there is an underground network which, however, does not connect all areas. The suggestion is to use the taxi, fast, safe and cheap (a 4 or 5 km ride costs about 17 Egp, € 1,00)
- Local currency: Egyptian Pound (1 euro = 17 Egp)
- Time zone: GMT + 2 (+ 1h compared to Italy)
- Entry requirements: Passport or identity card valid for expatriation. Two photos to be able to obtain the visa to be requested from the local authorities when you arrive. Both documents must have a residual validity of at least six months
- Recommended cards and passes: The Cairo Pass gives access to all the archaeological sites and all the museums in Cairo and Giza, for 5 days it costs $ 80 / € 73,00 ($ 40 / € 36,00 for students). It can be purchased at the Department of Cultural Relations in Zamalek or at the ticket offices in Giza, at the Egyptian Museum in Tahrir Square or in Salah El-D
- Safety info: in recent years many areas of Egypt have experienced risky situations due to unpredictable demonstrations and attacks throughout the territory. Before leaving, it is always advisable to visit the Farnesina website
Most Interesting Articles
- maldives islands where they are when to go and what to see
- ranking of the most rude countries in the world
- top 10 mafias in the world the richest and most powerful criminal organizations
- the 15 biggest and most beautiful zoos in the world official ranking
- top 10 biggest and most beautiful zoos in europe official ranking