Puglia offers landscapes and cities that will make you fall in love. One of these is Bari. Rich in history and culture, this city is perfect to spend a few days in which to combine relaxation and visits.
Located in a really strategic position, you can easily reach other areas such as Alberobello, Polignano a Mare and Ostuni. But we will focus on the city well. There are things to see and after having visited the city for good you will also have the opportunity to enjoy a nice afternoon by the sea, weather permitting. Let's see together then what to see in Bali in 3 days.
- 1 day
- 2 day
- 3 day
- How much does a weekend in Bari cost
- User questions and comments
1 - Morning: Breakfast, Norman-Swabian Castle
First day of your weekend in Bari and it starts immediately with a symbol of the city. But breakfast, at the Castle Bar, where you can enjoy a beautiful view of one of the most visited monuments. The restaurant, in fact, is located in Piazza Federico II di Svevia, right in front of the entrance to the Norman-Swabian Castle, first stop of this day. This castle is an imposing fortress that was built in 1131 at the behest of Ruggero the Norman. Partly destroyed in 1156 by the people of Bari, it was rebuilt in 1223 under Frederick II of Swabia (this explains the reason for the Norman-Swabian name). Today a museum is set up inside and it is the seat of the Superintendence for Architectural and Historical Environmental Heritage. For visits, the castle is open from Wednesday to Monday from 8.30 to 19, closed on Tuesdays. Admission costs € 30, while the reduced ticket costs € 3,00.
Small curiosity: the Norman-Sveso Castle is the starting point for the tour of Bari Underground which we advise you to consider if you decide to visit the city. We highly recommend booking well in advance. The route takes about 1 hour and 45 minutes and runs between the Castle, the Succorpo of the Cathedral, Palazzo Simi and Santa Maria del Buon Consiglio. We recommend that you contact Eventi d'Autore through their website or by phone at the numbers: (+39) 3409546476 - (+39) 3382719840.
3 - Afternoon: Lunch, Bari Vecchia, Basilica of San Sabino, Basilica of San Nicola
First lunch in Bari and we want to recommend this place, the Pizzeria di Cosimo, an ideal place to have a quick lunch enjoying some of the traditional dishes at very cheap prices, around € 6,00 per person. This pizzeria is located in the neighborhood of Bari Old, also known as the district of San Nicola. This area is the real historical center and the meeting point of its citizens. Strolling the streets, full of historic buildings and important churches, if you are lucky, peeking through the various open windows, you will have the opportunity to admire the preparation of the famous orecchiette.
Second stop in the afternoon is there Basilica of San Sabino. This basilica, which is the Cathedral and the bishop's seat of the Catholic archdiocese of Bari, was built around the twelfth and thirteenth centuries at the behest of Archbishop Rainaldo on the ruins of the Byzantine cathedral. The style is Romanesque-Apulian. The opening hours are as follows: Monday to Saturday from 8:30 to 19:00 and Sunday from 8:00 to 10:00 and from 11:00 to 19:00. Admission is free.
Continuing to walk through the streets of Bari Vecchia, you will arrive at the Basilica of San Nicola. The basilica is dedicated to the homonymous patron saint of the city, it was built between 1087 and 1197 and has a typical Roman architectural style; today the crypt with the saint's body is preserved inside. According to legend, it was he who gave rise to the story of Santa Claus, or known to us as Santa Claus. The Church is open from Monday to Saturday from 7:00 to 20:30 and on Sundays from 7:00 to 22:00 with free admission. Nearby you will find the museum that houses the Treasure of San Nicola accessible by paying € 3,00.
3 - Evening: Dinner, Bari Vecchia and Lungomare Imperatore Augusto
It is now dinner time and near the Basilica of San Nicola you will find a place that has now become an institution in the catering sector in Bari: we are talking about the Osteria al Gambero. Here you can taste Apulian specialties based on fresh fish. One of their main dishes is linguine with cuttlefish ink. The place may seem a little spartan, but trust me, this is one of the best places to eat fish. As a price, you will spend around € 20,00 / 25,00 per person.
Once dinner is over, enjoy a nice walk along the Lungomare Imperatore Augusto or, if you are too tired after a day of sightseeing, grab a drink in one of the bars in Bari Vecchia.
- Distance traveled: 1,6 km / 20 min
- Places visited: Norman-Swabian Castle (full € 3,00 - reduced € 1,50), Old Bari, Basilica of San Sabino (free), Basilica San Nicola (€ 3,00), Lungomare Imperatore Augusto
- Bari: city walking tour Bari: bike tour and pasta making experience Bari: walking tour and homemade pasta
- Breakfast at Castle Bar (Get directions), Lunch at Pizzeria Di Cosimo (Get directions), Dinner at Osteria Al Gambero (Get directions)
1 - Morning: Breakfast, Fort of Sant'Antonio and Molo di Sant'Antonio, Molo San Nicola
Second day in Bari, we start with an energetic breakfast a stone's throw from the sea at the Miramare Bar, located on Via Venezia, side of the Lungomare Imperatore Augusto. Here you will be just two minutes away from the first attraction of the day, the Fort of Sant'Antonio. This fort was built for defensive purposes, in fact it was used to counter enemy attacks. Today it is a meeting point for the people of Bari, as well as the venue for numerous events. From here you can enjoy a beautiful view of both the sea and the whole city. The fort is always open and can be visited and admission is free. Behind the Fortino develops the Pier of Sant'Antonio, where the fish market takes place.
Proceeding along the Lungomare Imperatore Augusto, at a certain point on the left you will see the Margherita Theater. This theater was built in the early th century in honor of Queen Margherita of Savoy's visit to Bari. Its peculiarity is that it is practically located on the sea. After about 40 years of inactivity, the theater has been renovated and returned to the use of the city. The top floor is used for the display of exhibitions of international interest, especially on contemporary art, while the floor below the stalls is the Circolo della Vela di Bari.
Next stop on Pier San Nicola. Here is the headquarters of the Circolo Canottieri Barion Sporting Club, while at the beginning of the pier you will find a beautiful garden, the Fabrizio De Andrè Garden, a park where you can relax a bit and admire the sea. Or you can enjoy the view while sipping a good cold beer at El Chiringuito, a place known to everyone in Bari.
2 - Afternoon: Lunch, Petruzzelli Theater, Lungomare Araldo di Crollalanza, Rotonda del Lungomare
For lunch we recommend the Tiella, a place where you can savor all the specialties of Bari cuisine (orecchiette with turnip tops, tiella of potatoes, rice and mussels) spending an average of € 10,00 per person. The choice is very wide and you will not be disappointed.
A few steps from there, you will find the Petruzzelli Theater, the fourth largest theater in Italy. Built in 1898 and inaugurated in 1903, the theater was destroyed in 1991 due to a fire that broke out after the show "Norma di Bellini" and the reconstruction works lasted until 2009, when it was returned to the city. It can be visited mainly on Saturdays and Sundays and times and dates vary continuously, so we advise you to check the official website. The box office for guided tours opens 30 minutes before the tour starts and you can buy your ticket at that time. The cost of the full one is € 5,00, while € 1,00 for the reduced one.
After your visit to the Petruzzelli Theater, head towards the Lungomare Araldo di Crollalanza, where you can enjoy a beautiful walk overlooking the sea or sit on one of the many benches and get lost in the panorama. Proceeding along the coast, you will arrive at the Rotonda del Lungomare, in Largo Luigi Giannella. Here you will find a Ferris wheel that will allow you to see Bari from above. Beautiful to take a ride at sunset or even in the evening to see the city all lit up.
3 - Evening: Dinner, Lungomare and Molo San Nicola
Evening falls on the city and it's time for dinner. On the Lungomare Araldo di Crollalanza there are many clubs and restaurants, but we recommend the La Battigia Restaurant, located towards Molo San Nicola. The strong point of the place is undoubtedly the fish, always very fresh, but you will also find other traditional dishes such as orecchiete. One of the main dishes is the seafood cavatelli with mashed beans. As for prices, you will spend about € 20,00 per person.
For the evening we can advise you to take a walk along the seafront or to return to the San Nicola pier, at El Chiringuito, a place mentioned earlier, a meeting place for the people of Bari, where you can drink delicious cockatils with a splendid view of the sea.
- Distance traveled: 2,6 km / 33 min
- Places visited: Fortino di Sant'Antonio (free), Molo San Nicola, Pettuzzelli Theater (full € 5,00 - reduced € 1,00), Rotonda del Lungomare (free), Lungomare Araldo di Crollalanza
- Bari discovery bike tour Bari: city tour by bike-rickshaw 2 hours private Bari walk with a local guide Bari: Segway tour with ice cream tasting
- Breakfast at Bar Miramare (Get directions), Lunch at Tiella (Get directions), Dinner at La Battigia Restaurant (Get directions)
1 - Morning: Breakfast, Bari Art Gallery, Lungomare Nazario Sauro
Start your last day in Bari with a good breakfast at the Viola Bar, located a short distance from the Pinacoteca di Bari. Corrado Giaquino Picture Gallery it is located inside the beautiful Palazzo della Provincia, on the Lungomare Nazario Sauro. Here you will come into close contact and you will be able to discover the Apulian art and culture. The works on display, divided into sections ranging from medieval to nineteenth century, with Venetian and Neapolitan paintings and a collection of paintings by Giaquinto, can be visited from Tuesday to Saturday from 9:00 to 19:00 and on Sundays from 9:00 to 13:00, except Mondays. The full ticket costs € 3,00, the reduced ticket € 0,50 (university students, journalists, tour guides, teachers), while it is free for children under 18, over 65s, people with disabilities and their carers.
After the visit you will find yourself on Lungomare Nazario Sauro, one of the most beautiful promenades in Italy and, without a doubt, one of the most beautiful spots in the city.
2 - Afternoon: Lunch, Pane e Pomodoro beach
For lunch we recommend a place a bit far from the Corrado Giaquino Art Gallery, about 1,5 km, more or less 15 minutes on foot, but it is absolutely worth it. We are talking about the Blue Eyes restaurant, an institution of the gastronomic sector in Bari. Known above all for the very generous portions, and when we say "very" we mean really large, here you can eat typical dishes of the tradition. The place has a vintage style but is very characteristic. One of their main dishes are pennette mare e monti. As for costs, you will spend about € 15,00 per person and you will spend them very happy.
Once your lunch is finished, we can recommend you to go to the beach Pane e Pomodoro, the beach that all the people of Bari frequent. If you are during the summer, from mid-spring to early autumn, we recommend that you take a relaxing afternoon, soaking up some sun and starting to think about tanning. A short distance away you will also find the beach of Torre Quetta, with numerous bars and clubs overlooking the sea.
Alternative to the beach: dedicate one afternoon to visit the places around Bari including:
- Polignano a Mare: about 35 kilometers away, Polignano a Mare is one of the most enchanting and magical places in Puglia, known all over the world. From the city you can take the train and in half an hour you will have arrived at your destination.
- Castellana Grotte: if you feel like an adventurer, you can consider a visit to the Castellana Caves, with over 3 kilometers of trails and with a depth of up to 100 meters. They are about 40 kilometers from Bari.
- Alberobello: Alberobello, the town of the Trulli, is located about 55 kilometers from Bari. Even if the trulli are a bit the symbol of Puglia, only those of Alberobello have been named a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
3 - Evening: Dinner, historic center
Last night in Bari. If you have stayed in the city, or if you have decided to return for dinner, we recommend that you head back to the historic center and dine at La Vineria, a place near the Lungomare Araldo di Crollalanza. The restaurant has a very particular style and the menu changes every month, as the dishes are prepared only with fresh and seasonal products (even the bread is produced by them). Furthermore, it is open until late in the evening and you will find live music. The cuisine is Italian cuisine and you will spend an average of € 20,00 / 25,00 per person.
The Winery is located in a strategic point, a short distance from the Lungomare and Bari Vecchia, so you can decide where to spend your last evening based on what you liked in the previous days.
- Distance traveled: 6,6 km / 1 h 22 min
- Places visited: Bari Art Gallery (full € 3,00 - reduced € 0,50), Pane e Pomodoro beach (free), Lungomare Nazario Sauro / day outside Bari
- Bari: city bike rental bari food tour by bike Bari Segway tour. Pasta Experience
- Breakfast at Bar Viola (Get directions), Lunch at Blue Eyes (Get directions), Dinner at La Vineria (Get directions)
How much does a weekend in Bari cost
Bari is a city truly within everyone's reach. You will find places to eat at very little and other restaurants where you will instead go to spend as in other large Italian cities. In general, despite being located on the sea in a beautiful position, Bari will allow you to spend a nice weekend without spending too much:
- Costs to eat: about € 35,00 per day per person (including breakfast, lunch, dinner)
- Costs for museums and attractions: about € 15,00 per person following the itinerary we suggest
- Transportation: about € 15,00 per person
- Hotels, accommodation and b & b: from € 50,00 per room -
- Fun: from € 20,00 per person
- Total cost of a weekend in Bari: from € 290,00 per person
Before leaving: useful tips
- When to visit Bari: without any doubt the mid-seasons (April, May, September and October). Then, if the goal is to go to the beach, the perfect month is September, as you won't find too many tourists and sultry heat - find out more
- the local airport is Karol Wojtyla, which is only 8 km from the center. The possibilities to reach the city are as follows: by train, lines FR2 and FM2 of the Ferrotramvaria, ticket cost € 5,00, time around 15 minutes; by bus, line 16 AMTAB, ticket cost € 1,00, € 1,50 if bought on board by the driver, travel time about 30 minutes; by bus, Shuttle Tempesta, ticket cost € 4,00, about 30 minutes; by taxi, about € 23,00, travel time 30 minutes. Flights starting from € 33,00 -
- the best solution, even if the most expensive, is the historic center, which includes the Bari Vecchia and Murat districts, in order to be close to restaurants, clubs and the main attractions of the city. A cheaper alternative is the Poggiofranco neighborhood, a new residential area. Instead, it is preferable to avoid the more peripheral areas, although Bari is still a very safe city. Hotel and b & b starting from € 50,00 per room -
- Getting around: on foot. All the main points are located in the center and are very close to each other. The outskirts and more distant places can be reached with the urban bus service. The service, managed by AMTAB and active from 5:00 in the morning to 11:00 in the evening, consists of 39 different lines. There are mainly two types of tickets: the one valid for 75 minutes at a cost of € 1,00 (€ 1,50 if purchased on board from the driver) and the one valid for 90 minutes at a cost of € 1,20. You can then buy the day ticket at a cost of € 2,50 or the booklet of 10 tickets at a cost of € 9,00 - find out more
Most Interesting Articles
- maldives islands where they are when to go and what to see
- ranking of the most rude countries in the world
- top 10 mafias in the world the richest and most powerful criminal organizations
- the 15 biggest and most beautiful zoos in the world official ranking
- top 10 biggest and most beautiful zoos in europe official ranking