Wild and authentic, Tanzania is one of the best known countries in East Africa.
Bathed by the waters of the Indian Ocean, it is characterized by boundless prairies, from ben sixteen national parks: the most famous are certainly that of Kilimanjaro and that of Serengeti; and from tropical islands, such as: the heavenly Zanzibar, the island of Mafia, the islands of Pemba and Bongoyo.
Perfect for one adventure and safari holiday among lions, wildebeest, elephants and rhinos, this wonderful land is an immersion in almost untouched nature. Crystal clear waters, rivers inhabited by crocodiles and ancient baobabs: an adrenaline-fueled journey to the beating heart of the most ancestral Africa.
Here is useful information for a trip to Tanzania.
- Best time
- Required documents
- How many days
- How to dress and what to bring
- To see
- Getting around
- What to book in advance
- Where to eat
- How much
- How to pay
- Useful advice and rules of conduct
- User questions and comments
It is the one included between June and September: in these months, the temperature remains warm but bearable and will therefore be perfect for a holiday dedicated to sea, nature and safari.
We do not recommend the period from December to April for the rainy season, as many hikes and tourist routes will not be viable due to mud and the temporary closure of most attractions. From avoid January-February because they are the hottest months ever.
Among the mandatory documents required for a trip to Tanzania are: Visa, which must be requested well in advance from the Tanzanian consulate in Milan or the Tanzanian embassy in Rome; passport with residual validity of at least six months. Finally we recommend the stipulation of atravel insurance to protect against possible unforeseen events.
How many days
- Minimum travel time: at least 7 days
- Recommended duration of the trip: at least 12 days
How to dress and what to bring
They are recommended light clothes, a sweatshirt or a light jacket for the evening and a scarf to protect yourself from the breeze.
Whether it's a first time, or a return as an antidote to African sickness, Tanzania has truly unmissable destinations: from the paradise of the island of Zanzibar to Kilimanjaro: the highest peak in Africa, from the Serengeti National Park to the marine park of the island of Mafia, passing through Ngorongoro, Monte Meru, Tarangire and the islands of Pemba and Bongoyo, Natron , the lake that petrifies animals, up to the marvelous Dar-es-salaam: the largest city of Tanzania.
We advise you to take a look at our article on What to see absolutely in Tanzania and the 2 most beautiful itineraries and the 10 most beautiful beaches in Tanzania.
Below, a breakdown of the attractions to see for the first time or during a subsequent trip to Tanzania, so as not to miss anything and make the most of time and possibilities.
- If you are visiting the destination for the first time: Serengeti National Park, Kilimanjaro, Dar-els-salaam, Zanzibar, Mafia Island
- If you are returning to the destination: Mount Meru, Ngorngoro Conservation Area, Pemba Island and Bongoyo Island.
The distances are very long and the means available are not many. The best solution is theairplane for small domestic flights: a little expensive, but fast.
Between one city and another, it is still possible to opt for the bus, which is the most used, economical way, but not the fastest. The duration of the journey depends on many factors, including and above all the poor condition of the roads. Alternatively, i Dalla-Dalla: very cheap collective taxis. The train is not recommended, as it takes too many days.
Car rental it is convenient, but beware of badly reduced roads, animals and very poor night lighting. To reach the islands, the boat, which takes about two hours from Dar-es-salaam.
As for safaris, to do them you must always contact expert guides, who will take care to organize any trips.
What to book in advance
It sure is good plan your trip in detail leaving nothing to chance. The booking of the flight must be followed by that of the Lodging and, according to the pre-established itinerary, also of the internal movements, especially if by plane.
Travel insurance with health coverage is not mandatory, but highly recommended.
It will be necessary to book in advance the safaris, such as the one to the Serengeti and Ngorongoro National Park: one of the most famous and wildest. Here it will be possible to admire the five great African animal species: lions, elephants, buffaloes, rhinos and leopards.
We offer the main destinations: the chaotic city Dar es salaam and the paradise island of Zanzibar, depending on the taste and the type of holiday you choose.
In the chaotic Dar es salaam, we recommend the Mikocheni district: quite quiet. Here you can opt for a guest house. Alternatively, the Sinza district: a slightly more touristy area, where there are small hotels at cheap prices.
Hotel and b & b starting from € 30,00 per room -
Same double alternative when traveling in the wonderful Zanzibar: Nungwi, if you are looking for crowds and entertainment, here in fact you will find many hotels and restaurants along the beach; Kendwa, for a more peaceful stay.
Hotel and b & b in Zanzibar starting from € 1.185,00 per room -
Where to eat
Between matoke (boiled bananas with meat or fish), ugali (a kind of polenta with rice, meat and vegetables) and nyama choma (grilled meat), spicy aromas and flavors, Tanzania should be enjoyed on the street. Street food stalls can be found along almost all the streets of the city and it is here that the flavors remain authentic.
Alternatively, you can still opt for i restaurants, which are usually not very expensive: 20/25 euros per person.
The special restaurants of Zanzibar are famous and curious: "The Island" of Pongwe and "The Rock" of Pingwe, both located on two islets.
- Cost of flights and travel: no more than € 800,00 / 1.000,00, the cheapest airport is Dar Es Salaam (500,00 A / R), from here you can travel with internal flights for less than a hundred euros each way to other areas of the country
- Accommodation cost: starting from € 30,00 per night for cheap hostels and lodges
- Minimum daily budget for meals and attractions: approximately € 100 per day.
- Other costs: keep in mind that the bulk of the budget will be aimed at safaris, the cost of which varies from a few hundred euros up to over € 1000,00 / 2000,00 depending on the duration. The cost of the safari generally includes both meals and any overnight stay.
How to pay
The local currency of Tanzania is the Tanzanian shilling, they do come however both euros and dollars accepted, which can be converted into the local currency at the many exchange offices. The credit cards instead they are not widespread. They are only accepted in the main hotels of the largest cities (Visa, Masterd Card and Diners Club).
There are no particular dangerous situations, but it is advisable to pay more be careful in places frequented by foreigners, such as: bus stations, discos, shopping centers, etc. Additionally, we recommend rely on reliable taxis and drivers and guaranteed (perhaps by the same hotel where you are staying). Avoid wearing too flashy jewelry.
It is not recommended to travel to the regions bordering Rwanda, Burundi and the Democratic Republic of Congo; Kigoma, west of Kagera, north and north-west of the country.
In the city of Dar es salaam, the districts are not recommended: Masaki, Masani Peninsula and Oysterbay.
Useful advice and rules of conduct
- Register your trip on WHERE WE ARE IN THE WORLD.
- Be respectful of the local culture.
- Avoid walking alone after dark.
- Pay close attention to driving, due to the road surface in poor condition and therefore very dangerous.
- Don't haggle with the peddlers on the beach.
- Avoid going to the Kariakoo market in Dar es salaam.
- Travel / health insurance: recommended.
Most Interesting Articles
- maldives islands where they are when to go and what to see
- ranking of the most rude countries in the world
- top 10 mafias in the world the richest and most powerful criminal organizations
- the 15 biggest and most beautiful zoos in the world official ranking
- top 10 biggest and most beautiful zoos in europe official ranking