A large magical and wild continent, washed to the east by the Pacific Ocean and to the west by the Indian Ocean where some large cities (almost all on the coast, with the exception of the capital Canberra) alternate with immense uninhabited spaces.
Known for its Outback (i.e. the vast sparsely populated areas) where the famous Ayers Rock is located, Australia is also famous for its varied and amazing nature characterized by mountains, beaches, deserts, Natural Parks, islands and breathtaking landscapes.
The state ideal for a road trip discovering a country of strong contrasts where you will be captured by the primordial aboriginal energy.
Here's what you need to know when planning a trip to Australia!
- Best time
- Required documents
- How many days
- How to dress and what to bring
- To see
- Getting around
- What to book in advance
- Where to eat
- How much
- How to pay
- Useful advice and rules of conduct
- User questions and comments
Australia is located in the southern hemisphere and the seasons are reversed from ours.
However being an immense state within the country itself the climate changes.
To visit i Northern Territories and the Queenslans coast our summer is the ideal period because the days are sunny and the temperatures in the desert are also acceptable. The sea is cold but during the day you can comfortably dress up.
for southwest area and to experience the sea, the ideal time is our winter, or the Australian summer.
The best times ever for a trip are the half seasons (March-May and September-November) where the sun is warm but not torrid almost everywhere, the skies are clear and the prices are more affordable.
First you need the passport with residual validity of 6 months, and the electronic visa free to request on the official website a few days before leaving, to print and take with you during the trip.
Bring the Italian health card, since there is an agreement with our country, but we also suggest one private insurance policy.
La Italian driving license it is valid only when driving in the Northern Territories; for all other areas an international driving license is required to be requested from the ACI (cost approximately € 72,00) or from the DMV (cost approximately € 34,00) at least 1 month before departure.
How many days
- Minimum travel time: at least 16 days
- Recommended duration of the trip: at least 23 days
How to dress and what to bring
In the recommended period, ie the mid-seasons, it is advisable to pack comfortable lightweight cotton clothing, a sweatshirt or fleece for the evening, a light and waterproof down jacket (for the nights in the desert), hat and sunglasses, comfortable shoes and possibly trekking shoes if you visit the Northern Territories, swimsuit and windbreaker for the sea, sunscreen.
Being able to visit the whole of Australia in one trip is almost impossible unless you are away for a month and a half.
In a vacation of about 3 weeks, if it's your first time, you can't miss out on: Sydney, the Great Barrier Reef, Whitsundays Island, Freser Island Island, Kakadu NP, Uluru and the Kata Tjuta NP area
If instead you have more time available, or you have already seen some of the places already mentioned, we suggest you visit Melbourne, the Great Ocean Road with the twelve apostles, the Australian Wine Region, Perth, Broome and the Kimberley, the Pinnacle Desert.
- If you are visiting the destination for the first time: Sydney, Brisbane, Hervey Bay, Freser ISland, Whitsunday Island, Cairns, Sydney, Kakadu National Park, Nitmiluk Gorge, Alice Springs, Uluru Kata Tjuta National Park, Kings Canyon, MAc Donnel Rangers, Kakadu National Park
- If you are returning to the destination: Great Ocean Road, Melbourne, McLaren Vale, Adelaide, Perth, Nambung NP, Pinnacle Desert, Margaret River (wine region), Broome
The best way to visit Australia is by car, especially in the Northern Territories, through the lonely roads of the Outback, along the west coast, south on the Great Ocean Road and into the wine country.
Alternatively, along the coast of Queensland and on those of Western Australia, the main localities are connected by the efficient ones bus (night and day) of the company "Greyhound".
For longer trips from one region to another, especially if you don't have much time available, there are numerous internal flights operated by "Qantas", "Jetstar" and "Virgin" (main companies) to and from the main locations.
What to book in advance
It is important to book therental car, the nights in the main tourist resorts (especially if you travel in high season: August and December-January), bus (night or day) for the main localities, if any internal flights, possible tour including the Whitsunday Islands cruise and Fraser Island ferry.
While in Australian cities you will be spoiled for choice on places to stay (hostels, hotels, B & Bs), within the Parks and the Outback the choice is limited and it is important to book before arriving.
Here the offers are mainly motels, campsites with bungalows or tent / camper, eco-lodges especially in Kakadu NP, in Uluru, in the area of Kings Canyon and around the Pinnacles Desert.
In the cities we suggest you to book the most central accommodations and close to bus, metro and ferry stops - Hotels and b & b from € 70,00 per room -
Where to eat
Australian cuisine is a mix of oriental and western flavors and it is possible to find restaurants of any type, fresh food such as fruit and vegetables and good wines.
What never fails are fast food restaurants and restaurants serving burgers and chips or mixed grilled meats.
Along the coast you will find a wide range of fish while in the cities street food is very popular (kebabs, sushi, tacos and burritos).
The venues are divided into economic (courses from A $ 15, € 8,00), medium category (courses from A $ 30, € 18,00) and luxury (courses from a minimum of A $ 50, € 27,00).
Remember that Australians have lunch around 12pm and have dinner around 00pm. Only in big cities do restaurants serve dinner until 22pm; in small towns after 00:19 the kitchen closes.
- Cost of flights and travel: the rental of an off-road car (essential in inland areas) from A $ 100 (€ 54,00); bus, for about 500 km, costs about A $ 170, € 90,00; domestic flights from a minimum of A $ 110 (€ 60,00)
- Cost accomodation: tourist apartments from A $ 150 to A $ 250 (€ 80,00-135,00) per night; camping pitches between A $ 22 and A $ 35 (€ 12,00-18,00); a bungalow for 4 people between A $ 80 and A $ 100 (€ 40,00-53,00); hostels cost between A $ 28 and A $ 40 (€ 15,00-21,00) per bed; hotels from A $ 160 (€ 85,00) and up per day
- Minimum daily budget for meals and attractions: the minimum cost for two main meals and breakfast per day is A $ 75 (€ 40,00); as regards the entrance to the parks and the various attractions, consider a daily minimum of A $ 40 (€ 21,00)
How to pay
The currency is the Australian dollar (A $): € 1,00 = A $ 1,87.
Usually in big cities there are no problems to change money and in inhabited centers there are ATMs to withdraw.
Credit cards are accepted everywhere Visa and Mastercard even for minimal amounts.
The suggestion, however, is to enter the country with a little cash changed in Italy in order to face the first expenses.
E' a generally safe state, there is little crime although in large cities it is important to adopt common safety measures.
Before leaving, we always advise you to check the updated Farnesina website.
Useful advice and rules of conduct
- Prohibition of importing products: it is forbidden to import fruit, food of a certain type and more than 50 cigarettes into the country.
- Danger of animals: Beware of the most dangerous animals in the world; it is always good to check the shoes before wearing them; during trekking and walks you must not sit on the ground. Along the coast in some places it is forbidden to swim due to deadly sharks and jellyfish. Always follow the signs everywhere.
- Driving tips: It is not recommended to drive outside the city from sunrise to sunset due to the presence of animals along the roads.
- Arrive on time: Australians are on time, so be there when you have reservations.
- Mance: they are not mandatory but welcome in the most luxurious places; in this case it is advisable to leave a sum equal to 5 and 10% of the account.
- In case of purchases: If you make purchases of a total minimum value of A $ 300 before your return to Italy, you can request a refund of 10% of the GST tax. For more information, visit the customs website.
- Travel / health insurance: recommended.
Most Interesting Articles
- maldives islands where they are when to go and what to see
- ranking of the most rude countries in the world
- top 10 mafias in the world the richest and most powerful criminal organizations
- the 15 biggest and most beautiful zoos in the world official ranking
- top 10 biggest and most beautiful zoos in europe official ranking