State-of-the-art Helsinki is home to the largest Orthodox church in Western Europe: Uspenski or Dormition Cathedral. Inaugurated in 1868, built in a neo-Byzantine and posthumous style after the death of its designer, Aleksey Gornostayev, it is certainly one of the most evident signs of Russian culture in Finland: on the back of the church a commemorative plaque to Alexander II of Russia, ruler of the Grand Duchy of Finland was placed while the cathedral was under construction. Its peculiarity lies in the fact that it was built within a green lung of tranquility, on the Katajanokka peninsula, which from the top of a small hill enjoys a harmonious perspective on the city.
- Where is it and how to get there
- Hours and prices
- Tours, guided tours and tickets online
- What to see and how to visit the Dormition Cathedral (Uspenski)
- Useful tips for visiting the attraction
- Historical notes, curiosities and practical info: what to know in brief
- User questions and comments
Where is it and how to get there
- On foot: starting from the city center you can reach the cathedral in just 10 minutes, since the distance is about 700 meters. with bus stop 17 down the road - Get directions.
- By bus: starting from the city center there is the bus stop 17 which will take you to the cathedral in about 10 minutes.
Hours and prices
- open from Tuesday to Friday from 9:30 to 16:00 - Saturday and Sunday from 12:00 to 15:00. Closed on Mondays.
- Best time to avoid queues: There are no noteworthy queues.
- Free admission.
Tours, guided tours and tickets online
What to see and how to visit the Dormition Cathedral (Uspenski)
Uspenski Cathedral is a real gem whose beauty is visible from a distance. Here are some of the peculiarities to be absolutely noticed during the visit:
- The exteriors: Its golden spiers and red-brown bricks offer a truly unique sight.
- Paintings and relics: the interiors are littered with rich paintings and precious materials.
- The iconostasis: so opulent as to be amazed, the perfect crowning of the beauty of the Cathedral.
Useful tips for visiting the attraction
- Helsinki Card: it is an excellent solution as it gives the opportunity to visit the major attractions of the city, saving time and money, also including the classic bus ride. Valid for 1, 2 or 3 days, it also includes access to free transport, a city guide and discounted access to rides, ferris wheels, zoos and entertainment corners. The price varies according to the day, with a price starting from € 48,00 (for 1 day of validity) up to € 61,20 for 3 days. Children up to 16 years pay half of the list price.
- Watch out for restrictions: silence is recommended while inside the cathedral, while men are asked not to wear hats of any kind.
- Minimum time: recommended at least 1 hour to calmly observe all the richness of the cathedral.
Historical notes, curiosities and practical info: what to know in brief
Uspanski Cathedral stands out not only for its hillside location on the Katajanokka Peninsula, but also for the 22-carat gold that covers its domes.
The name Cathedral of the Dormition refers to the word uspenje which means dormition or death, referring to the apparent death of Mary, only fallen into a deep sleep before rising into heaven.
The beauty of the iconostasis before the eyes as soon as you enter it is shocking, as is the wonder of the countless icons. The beauty of this cathedral continues in the peace of the greenery that surrounds it, projected towards the horizon of the facing center of Helsinki. The interior space is bordered by 4 granite columns, which represent the typical style of the Byzantine canons which differs from the Slavic one of the outside. This magnificent and unique cathedral, built over 6 years, has a wonderful outdoor park extremely well-kept and peaceful, in which to admire the majesty of the structure and take a look at the panorama of the city.
Most Interesting Articles
- maldives islands where they are when to go and what to see
- ranking of the most rude countries in the world
- top 10 mafias in the world the richest and most powerful criminal organizations
- the 15 biggest and most beautiful zoos in the world official ranking
- top 10 biggest and most beautiful zoos in europe official ranking