I start immediately with answer the most frequently asked questions to resolve the doubts you usually have when buying travel insurance for the USA.
Go to the policy comparison now
- What it takes to go to the USA
- Questions and answers on travel insurance
- Travel insurance comparison for the USA
- What is the best insurance and which one to choose?
- The best insurance companies
- Small glossary on insurance terms
- Insights into insurance and the health system
What it takes to go to the USA
I necessary documents to go to the USA are:
- Esta (if you are going as a tourist or for business and do not stay more than 90 days, otherwise you need a visa);
Il cost for issuing the passport it is € 42,50 for the bulletin, plus € 73,50 for revenue stamps (electronic stamp), for a total of € 116 + passport photos. For years it has no longer been necessary to buy a new revenue stamp every year.
L'Esta cost $14 if you do it on the official website and it is valid for 2 years from issue, or less if you change your passport first.
I suggest you to make your passport before booking the trip so you can also do the Esta immediately, to eventually have the time to get the visa in case you are denied the Esta (remote hypothesis).
Questions and answers on travel insurance
It is mandatory to have health insurance to go to the USA
If we compare insurance to the documents I just mentioned, it is not mandatory to have a health insurance policy, in the sense that you can still enter the United States even without insurance coverage. But you'd be gods irresponsible if you decide to leave without insurance, considering that the cost of a policy is quite low, on the contrary instead of expenses you would face in an American hospital, in the unfortunate event you need it.
How much does travel insurance cost
An economic policy for one week (8 days, 7 nights) starts from € 33 and goes up to € 70. I'm talking about policies that they not only include medical expenses, but also baggage, civil liability (it has nothing to do with civil liability for a rental car) and other coverages. Whereas a I travel to New York for a week, per person it costs an average of € 1.000, I would say that you can afford to spend another 7% and leave peacefully without worries.
How the American health system is structured
È profoundly different from the Spanish model and European in general. In fact, there is no national health service and despite Obama's reform, to have the best care you need to have insurance. Only certain segments of the population have assistance provided by the state. Of course, as a tourist, you have to pay out of your own pocket or through insurance to get medical treatment.
Why is it important to have travel insurance?
It is important because the price of services in American hospitals is prohibitive in many cases. Some examples of costs: let's say you are lucky and there you only need a prescription: the cost ranges from $ 70 to $ 150 and already with this money alone you have spent more than buying medical insurance; In case you are less lucky and need be hospitalized, here the costs jump to around $ 2.000 per day. Keep in mind that in states such as New York and California the costs are above average, compared to other internal states; a travel insurance can also meet you in the event of a delay in your luggage by reimbursing you the money you will spend to buy the things waiting. to receive the suitcase.
Is it enough to have a medical policy or do I also have to take one for baggage and cancellation?
Usually the price difference between a basic and a complete policy is not very large; the fundamental thing, however, is to have a health insurance policy, the rest then depends on your propensity to risk. trip cancellation, then take the full policy. All the info on the cancellation policy
Which insurance covers previous illnesses?
Only the Globy Rosso policy covers any medical expenses deriving from a medical situation that already existed before the policy was stipulated
The proposed policy together with the flight and hotel packages is sufficient
Usually not because the ceilings, in most cases, are inadequate, stopping at a few tens of thousands of euros.
Travel insurance comparison for the USA
What is the best insurance and which one to choose?
From the comparison I just made the Best for the performance / price ratio is Safe Travel. Because:
- It has no medical bills cap (like Columbus): this means that even a simple medical examination falls within the largest ceiling, which in the case of a policy for the USA starts at one million euros;
- Direct payment of all medical expenses above € 300: even in the case of a simple visit that does not require hospitalization, after making a phone call to the operations center, Viaggi Sicuri undertakes to pay the facility directly;
- As in the case of Columbus it is It is possible to eliminate the deductible.
The best insurance companies
I will do here a brief overview of the best companies offering travel insurance for the USA.
- Columbus Insurance: undoubtedly one of the most famous companies also thanks to its TV commercials. It boasts more than 15 million customers worldwide. The ceiling for medical expenses in the event of hospitalizations it is unlimited (therefore, without any expense threshold), also valid in the event of force majeure events. Exclusive discount code: 10% included in the link. Make a quote
- Safe travels: is an insurance broker owned by the English company PKC Associates Ltd which offers travel insurance packages underwritten by the German insurance company European Travel Insurance AG (ERV), one of the largest groups in the world. All packages offer warranty with valid for up to 30 days maximum duration of the trip. Viaggi Sicuri does not cover medical expenses for pre-existing illnesses. Exclusive discount code: 12%, enter: UNITED STATES 12. Make a quote.
- AXA Assistance: is a French multinational insurance company with headquarters in 33 countries around the world. For medical expenses, it provides for a ceiling of up to € 3.000.000, which varies in the case of the choice of various insurance packages, including: “basic protection”, “medium protection” and “total shield”. Discount code: 10%, MAX10. Do a preventive.
- Coverwise: is an intermediary of AXA Insurance. Its strength is undoubtedly the price combined with an excellent level of services, thanks to the ceiling on medical expenses of € 20 million. Discount code: 10%, included in the link. Make a quote.
- Allianz: is one of the most reputable travel insurance companies and provides the best assistance in case of need. It is able to ensure health care, direct payment of medical expenses with an unlimited limit valid even in the event of terrorist events and also for people over 75 years of age (only company). Discount code: 10%, included in the link. Make a quote.
Small glossary on insurance terms
- Prize: is the cost of the policy
- Deductible: is the amount that remains to be paid by the insured in the event of a claim
- Pre-existing or past illness: illness resulting from a medical situation that already existed at the time the policy was stipulated;
- Maximal: it is the maximum sum that the insurance pays in the event of a claim;
- Direct payment of medical expenses: in case of hospitalization, the companies pay the hospital directly; in case of simple medical examinations instead they will reimburse you and therefore you will find yourself anticipating the money. Viaggi Sicuri instead pays directly all expenses above € 300;
- Civil liability: if the insured accidentally causes damage to people, animals or things, the insurance will pay until the maximum limit is reached.
Insights into insurance and the health system
- Trip cancellation policy
- Policy for those who are already abroad
- Travel insurance for pregnant women
- Healthcare cost
- Public hospitals
- How the first aid works
- How to choose: infographics
Most Interesting Articles
- maldives islands where they are when to go and what to see
- ranking of the most rude countries in the world
- top 10 mafias in the world the richest and most powerful criminal organizations
- the 15 biggest and most beautiful zoos in the world official ranking
- top 10 biggest and most beautiful zoos in europe official ranking