Tropea is considered a pearl of the Calabria region. This definition is not given by chance, as the beauties that this town can offer are exceptional. Although Tropea does not have large dimensions,there are many activities to do and things to see. Living a holiday in Tropea can be ideal for relaxing but at the same time for having fun. It is therefore necessary to fully explore all the activities to do in Tropea, focusing more on what to see, where to eat and what to do in the evening!
- 10 things to see in Tropea in a weekend
- What to see in Tropea in one day: recommended itinerary
- Where to eat in Tropea: the best restaurants
- What to do in the evening: the nightlife areas and the best clubs in Tropea
- Plan your stay in Tropea: info and useful tips
- User questions and comments
10 things to see in Tropea in a weekend
1 - Sanctuary of Santa Maria dell'Isola
This is the most important sanctuary in the Calabrian town. Thousands of faithful gather in this place to worship and those who are believers will see this place as a spiritual refuge. On the other hand, the sanctuary is really beautiful to see, with its grandeur and its majestic architecture. Rather than limiting themselves to a view of the outside, every self-respecting visitor should make a journey inside the Sanctuary, to admire every particular detail. Very suggestive then, the location of the Sanctuary which is located on a small hill overlooking the sea.
- getting to the sanctuary from the center of Tropea, therefore starting from via Carmine, is really simple. You can easily get there on foot, along Via Umberto I and Via Lungomare for about 450 meters. Average travel time is approximately 7 minutes - Get directions
- April / May / June 09:00 - 13:30 15:00 - 19:30 July / August 09:00 - 24:00 September / October 09:00 - 19:00 November / December 09:30 - 12:30 15 : 00 - 17:30 (visit not available from January to March)
- Free Church entrance - Museum entrance € 1,00 - Terrace entrance € 2,00
2 - Rotonda beach
Spiaggia della Rotonda is one of the most beautiful beaches in Tropea. It is an elegant and refined place, suitable for those seeking relaxation and comfort from their vacation. The beach is embellished with very soft sand that caresses the feet and pampers them. As if that weren't enough, the municipality of Tropea does an excellent job and makes sure that the beach is always clean. The sea that bathes the beach is blue, exceptional for those who observe it and those who love to bathe.
- to get to Spiaggia della Rotonda from via Carmine, the center of Tropea, you need to walk along Via Lungomare for about 750 meters. You will arrive at your destination after about ten minutes - Get directions
- Always accessible
3 - The View
One of the places to visit in Tropea is undoubtedly the Affaccio. This point known by every citizen of Tropea, it is frequented by tourists of all sorts. As the name suggests, the Affaccio is a panoramic point where you can see the wonders of the Tropea sea. Also, this spot is great for taking unforgettable photos of this place.
- from the center of Tropea, therefore starting from via Carmine, it is easy to get to the Affaccio. You can get there on foot by following Corso Vittorio Emanuele for 300 meters. After about 5 minutes you will arrive at your destination - Get directions
- Always accessible
4 - Palazzo Toraldo
Palazzo Toraldo is one of the historical attractions that can be visited in Tropea. It is an ancient noble palace, most likely inhabited by the Toraldo family. The Toraldos were a family with Swabian origins who came down to the Italian peninsula and moved first to Naples and then built buildings and places also in Calabria. Palazzo Toraldo has lost some of its splendor to date, but it is still imposing and majestic. Some aesthetic details of the building are noteworthy, such as its large barrel hall, an architectural technique very common in historic buildings in Tropea and in Calabria in general. Furthermore, inside the palace, there is the personal collection of the Toraldo family, a collection of parchments, paintings and multiple family documents that tell the story of the noble family that gives the building its name.
- Palazzo Toraldo is located near via Carmine, one of the main streets in the center of Tropea. Getting there on foot is very easy, you need to walk along Corso Vittorio Emanuele for about 250 meters and then turn left to take Largo Galzerano and arrive at the palace site. In total it takes about 10 minutes to walk - Get directions
- Always accessible, guided tours are not allowed but can be admired from the outside
5 - Diocesian Civic Museum
The Diocesan Civic Museum is one of the most important museums in the Calabrian town. This museum in addition to having a great cultural value, represents a place of high sacredness. There are several faithful who go to the museum to see the works on display. Not by chance, the museum offers a historical and devotional itinerary that starts from the Middle Ages and reaches the last years of the th century.
- getting to the Diocesan Civic Museum from via Carmine, in the center of Tropea, is easy. From the central point of the locality, it is necessary to go south along Corso Vittorio Emanuele for 200 meters and then turn right and take Via Roma for another 100 meters. The journey is about 350 meters long and the journey time is scarce 10 minutes - Get directions
- April / May / September / October 9:30 - 12:30 / 17:00 - 20:00 June 10:00 / 12: 30 - 18:30 / 22:00 July / August 19:00 / 24:00
- € 2,00
6 - Cathedral
The Cathedral of Tropea is a sacred structure that adorns the historic center of the town. The Duomo possesses a classic baroque style. In fact, the full name of the Cathedral is Cathedral of the Most Holy Mary of Romania. It is no coincidence that inside the Church it is also possible to find the likely representation of this Holy Madonna. Once again, visitors once entered the place can admire a statue dedicated to the Madonna del Popolo and a pulpit that was built in 700. The Cathedral of Tropea was built by the Normans, around the twelfth century. Those who are passionate about architectural art can then dwell on the various construction materials present inside the sacred building, namely the tuff stone and the lava stone.
- the Cathedral of Tropea can be reached on foot from via Carmine. The Cathedral is located adjacent to the Diocesian Civic Museum. To reach the hotel, it is necessary to go south along Corso Vittorio Emanuele for 200 meters and then turn right and walk along Via Roma for 100 meters. Also in this case the distance to travel is 350 meters for a travel time that is close to 10 minutes - Get directions
- Mass times: Weekdays 8:30 - Days before holidays 19:00 - Holidays 8:30 - 19:30
7 - Riaci rocks
The Riaci Rocks are a wonderful point of attraction present in Riaci, a nearby town of Tropea. This beach is regarded by locals as one of the best in the area. The rocks are a true natural paradise, suitable for any type of tourist who loves the sea. Both couples and families can try to relax on this beach. The sea that bathes the coast is exceptional, blue and uncontaminated. In addition, this place contains a little gem for snorkelers. Those who love this underwater activity can try their hand at a breathtaking adventure, exploring the wreck of a 1917 merchant ship on the seabed of the Scogli di Riace beach. Truly an experience not to be missed for anyone with an adventurous spirit!
- The distance between Tropea and this locality is in fact about 3 kilometers. The most comfortable and fastest way is certainly the car that along Via Campo Inferiore will allow you to reach your destination in 7 minutes - Get directions
- Always accessible
- 1 day tour to Scilla and Reggio Calabria from Tropea
8 - Belvedere
Similar to the Affaccio, the Belvedere is one of the panoramic points where you can observe the wonderful Calabrian town. Also at this point, tourists can try their hand at artistic photographic shots and unforgettable selfies. Furthermore, this destination is very easy to include in your itineraries as it is very close to the city center.
- easy to reach starting from the center of Tropea. To get to this panoramic point you have to go along via Umberto I for about 200 meters, after just a few minutes on the road your destination will be clearly visible - Get directions
- Always accessible
9 - Church of the Capuchins
The Capuchin Church is not one of the most impressive in Tropea,however it presents some singular peculiarities. First, the church is very small, well structured and simple. At the same time, however, the church has elegant and refined decorations that make it unique in its kind. In addition to the building, it is also possible to visit the panoramic point of the Capuchin Church. This building is located on a high ground where it is possible to admire the natural beauty of Tropea.
- reaching the church from the center is very simple, it is about 6 minutes on foot, first crossing via Umberto I and via Libertà - Get directions
- Always accessible
10 - Michelino beach
Michelino beach is one of the places sought after by tourists on the Calabrian coast. This beach is not located in Tropea but in the town of Parghelia. The beach offers the possibility to admire almost enchanting views to be the envy of many noble Caribbean resorts. There are several rock formations that make the view a real postcard. To enrich such a landscape there is the sea: clear and with intense blue colors. For lovers of water sports, we recommend that you bring the inevitable camera / action-camera ideal to take with you a souvenir photo of the place that is nothing short of enchanting.
- it is possible to take Trenitalia train 22666 from Tropea towards Lamezia Terme. At the Parghelia stop, you must then get off the train and head towards the seaside area of the latter location. The walking path from the center of Parghelia to Michelino beach is about 1,2 kilometers long, about 20 minutes - Get directions
- always accessible
What to see in Tropea in one day: recommended itinerary
MORNING: the morning begins with a breakfast at Bar Ariston in complete calm and tranquility. This bar is located in the center of the city, so it can be considered as the starting point for exploring the main attractions of the town. After having breakfast, we continue the morning visiting the neighbor Toraldo Palace. This Palace is very beautiful to see especially if you are a lover of architecture and ancient history. After exploring it, you can head to the Tropea Cathedral. The style of the Cathedral is of the Baroque type and originally this sacred place was built by the Norman people. After visiting the Duomo you can head to the structure adjacent to it, namely the Diocesian Civic Museum. Here the entrance ticket costs only € 2,00 per person. The museum contains statues and other works of high artistic value. It is very interesting to follow the historical and devotional path that the museum presents starting from the Middle Ages up to the 12th century. Before returning for lunch, therefore around 00:, it is recommended to go to theOverlooking, a well-known panoramic location. Once you reach the Affaccio, it will be possible to admire the coast of Tropea and it is recommended to take wonderful souvenir photos to frame once back home. At around 13pm you can head to the Fame da Lupi pub to enjoy a delicious and light lunch.
AFTERNOON: after having a good lunch, it's time to visit the splendid sea of Tropea. In this case, around 14 pm, from the Fame da Lupi pub it is recommended to go to the Rotonda beach. The journey to reach this place is not tiring, but pleasant, as you can walk along the sea and admire the natural beauty of Tropea. Plus, it's a good way to digest your lunch! Once you arrive at the Rotonda beach, around 15 pm, you can relax and maybe take a bath in the wonderful water that bathes the Calabrian coast.
SERA: at 19:00, before going to dinner, it is possible to pass by the said panoramic point gazebo. This is another great place to take pictures of your vacation. In particular, it is wonderful to admire the so-called "tropean sunsets" with the sea slowly swallowing the sun; at the same time the star takes on an orange-red color which makes the background spectacular. After taking the souvenir photos, you can have dinner at the Picanha restaurant. The latter is one of the best restaurants in the town, as it manages to mix Brazilian food with the classic Calabrian tradition.
One day itinerary at a glance
- Breakfast at Bar Ariston (Get directions)
- Toraldo Palace - timetables: always available - ticket price: free
- Tropea Cathedral - timetables: always available - ticket price: free
- Diocesian Civic Museum - opening hours: from Monday to Friday from 9:30 - 13:30 / 17:30 - 20:00
- Overlooking - timetables: always available - ticket price: free
- Lunch at Fame da Lupi (Get directions)
- Rotunda beach - timetables: always available - ticket price: free
- gazebo - timetables: always available - ticket price: free
- Dinner at Picanha restaurant (Get directions)
Where to eat in Tropea: the best restaurants
- Hunger from Wolves: Fame da Lupi is a typical Calabrian pub, with different combinations of sandwiches with tasty ingredients, very cheap
Average price per person: € 8,00
Address and contacts: via liberty, 44 - Get directions / tel: 3470740598
- Picanha: Brazilian restaurant that mixes the South American tradition with the Calabrian one
Average price per person: € 20,00
Address and contacts: via annunziata - Get directions / tel: 3477197892
- Incipit Restaurant: elegant and refined restaurant offering typical and gourmet dishes
Average price per person: € 20,00
Address and contacts: largo galluppi, 17 - Get directions / tel: 3929479156
What to do in the evening: the nightlife areas and the best clubs in Tropea
In Tropea there are several places to spend the nightlife. It is no coincidence that this location is preferred in the high season by several young people who go to Tropea to have fun and spend good time together. It can be said that Tropea is one of the most sought after night destinations in the entire Calabria region. The most "lively" areas where you can have fun are those near the seaside coast. This is because there are not a few beaches that change their appearance in the evening and turn into open-air discos or have artists exhibit at the piano bar, enlivening the evening. Here are the best clubs in Tropea for those who want to have fun and party!
The best pubs, clubs and discos
- Casablanca nightclub: the center of nightlife in Tropea, one of the best nightclubs on the Calabrian coast where to party
Address: Via Santa Domenica - Get directions
- Punta Cana: A discopub night club where you can eat and dance to the rhythm of music
Address: san Domenica Ricardi - Get directions / Facebook page
- Il Pascià beach restaurant: lido on the sea excellent for tasting typical drinks and enjoying the nightlife of Tropea.
Address: via Libertà - Get directions
Plan your stay in Tropea: info and useful tips
- The nearest airport is Lamezia Terme, about 1 hour and 10 minutes away by car. You can reach Tropea from the airport thanks to a practical Shuttle Bus service provided by the Calabria Region. There are also other means of transport to reach Tropea such as Taxi and Transer, but the latter are paid. In addition, Tropea has its own marina well connected to the main Italian cities, which is about 1 km from the city center (about 15 minutes on foot).
- Getting around: the best way to get around Tropea is on foot. The main points of interest are concentrated at a short distance from each other.
- Where to park: there are several places to park your car. The best way to park your car, however, is to leave it in a paid parking lot. This way you can rest easy thinking, since the car is safe from damage. Among the car parks to report there are Da Ciccio Parking, located near the seafront (Get directions), Tropea City Parking, the city center parking (Get directions) and the paid parking in Via Pietro Ruffo di Calabria (Get directions).
- Hotel and b & b starting from € 238,00 per room -
- What to see in the surroundings: the whole area near Tropea is worth seeing and visiting; In fact, there are wonderful and unforgettable beaches nearby. Among the latter it is necessary to mention the aforementioned beach of Parghelia (Get directions), the town of Riaci (Get directions) and if you move a little further you can also get to the wonderful beaches of Capo Vaticano (Get directions). Furthermore, from Tropea it is possible to leave to visit the Aeolian Islands. It may be a good idea during your holidays to take a full day to spend it in places like Stromboli or Lipari.