With Midlands refers to areas located between Northern England and Southern England, which are generally divided into the West Midlands, with Birmingham as its capital, and the East Midlands, with Melton Mowbray as its capital. In these counties English life is the most authentic one, far from the chaos of the metropolis (just think of London), the cities that can be visited, in fact, such as Corby, Derby, Oxford, Birmingham, have medium dimensions and in the hilly areas there are many villages, with small houses surrounded by greenery.
Here is a small guide for organizing a trip to the Midlands: useful info and recommended itineraries!
- Travel informed: useful information, safety and necessary documents
- Where are
- 10-day itinerary: Discovering the West Midlands, among museums, parks and castles
- 7 Day Itinerary: Hiking the trails of the East Midlands, from Sherwood Forest to roller coasters
- Midlands do it yourself: flights, costs, best time and tips
- User questions and comments
- Request a personalized quote
Travel informed: useful information, safety and necessary documents
- Capital: Birmingham
- Languages: English
- Local currency: British pound (€ 1,00 = 0,92 ₤)
- Weather: oceanic type, with cold winters and mild and rainy summers, average winter temperatures 3,9 °, summer temperatures 16,5 °
- Entry requirements: EU citizens must have a valid identity document or passport
- Travel / health insurance: recommended.
The Midlands are located in the center of England. The West Midlands borders the North West regions to the north, the East Midlands to the east and Wales to the west. The East Midlands border the West Midlands to the west, Yorkshire and the Humber to the north, and the North Sea to the east.
10-day itinerary: Discovering the West Midlands, among museums, parks and castles
- First day: arrival in Birmingham and hotel accommodation
- Second day: Visit the Thinktank Birmingham Science Museum, the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery and the Birmingham Botanical Garden; overnight stay
- Third day: day trip, train (travel time 30 min) to Warwick, a city located on the River Avon where you can visit the fairytale Warwick Castle, dating back to 1068. Return to Birmingham and overnight.
- Fourth day: day trip, train (travel time 50 min) to Stratford-upon-Avon, Shakespeare's birthplace. Return to Birmingham and overnight
- Fifth day: transfer, train (duration 40 min) to Worcester, a city of ancient origins, where to visit the gothic cathedral and from which to make excursions in the hills of Malvern. Overnight in Worcester
- Sixth day: day trip, train (duration 40 min) to Hereford, a city lying on the river Wye, where you can visit the millenary cathedral of Norman origin. Return to Worcester and overnight
- Seventh day: transfer, train (duration 1 h and 50 min) to Ludlow, where you can visit the castle dating back to the 20th century. From Ludlow a bus will take you ( min) to the beautiful area of the Shropshire Hills, where you can go on various excursions. Continue and overnight in Shrewsbury.
- Eighth day: visit to the city of Shrewsbury, founded in 700 AD and birthplace of Charles Darwin, where you can visit the wonderful old town, the famous Abbey and the large park, The Quarry. Overnight in the city.
- Ninth day: transfer, train (1 hr 22 min) to Stoke-on-Trent, famous for its pottery, where to visit the Gladstone Pottery Museum, the only museum in which to immerse yourself in the life of the potters of the Victorian age. Overnight in Stoke-on-Trent.
- Tenth day: Train (1 hour) to Birmingham Airport. Return to Italy.
How much? Price details
- Price per person starting from: € 970,00
- Custom quote: to request a personalized quote
7 Day Itinerary: Hiking the trails of the East Midlands, from Sherwood Forest to roller coasters
- First day: Arrive at East Midlands Airport and overnight in Nottingham.
- Second day: visit to the city of Nottingham, the fortress of the old town and the English villa, the Wollaton Hall, 20 minutes by bus from the center. Return to the city and overnight
- Third day: excursion to Sherwood Forest (bus trip duration 50 min), where you will find restaurants and a museum dedicated to Robin Hood. Visit to the small town of Sherwood. Return to Nottingham and overnight
- Fourth day: train to the capital Melton Mowbray (travel time 55 min), in the city there are several natural parks, and for those who want a bit of adventure there is Twinlakes Park, the amusement park with roller coaster on the lake. Return to Nottingham and overnight
- Fifth day: transfer, train to Lincoln (1 h), short stop in the city and then excursion to the Lincoln Nature Reserve, where you can follow many paths in an environment rich in flora and fauna. Overnight in Lincoln.
- Sixth day: transfer, train to Chesterfield (1 hr 45 min), short stop in the city and then travel to the Linacre Reservoirs (38 min by bus), a large park where you can walk near the lake. Overnight in Chesterfield.
- Seventh day: train to East Midlands Airport (travel time 1 hour and 22 minutes). Return to Italy.
How much? Price details
- Price per person starting from: € 670,00
- Custom quote: to request a personalized quote
Midlands do it yourself: flights, costs, best time and tips
A trip to the Midlands is certainly an excellent opportunity to get to know some sides of England that are not always too well known. There are several direct flights from Italy that connect Rome, Milan and other national airports to cities such as Nottingham, Birmingham and the East Midlands airport, also through low-cost airlines.
Getting around these areas is very simple too only by public transport, trains cover various routes and buses also connect many cities to the main attractions located in the suburbs, such as parks and nature reserves. However, the cost of public transport appears to be higher than the European average.
In your suitcase you can not miss the camera, and essential are also the closed shoes for trekking activities, an umbrella, a k-way and some coats for dull days, sudden but not uncommon even in the summer.
- Minimum period for a tour in the Midlands: 7 days
- Recommended cities for base: Birmingham, Nottingham, Worcester, Lincoln
- Getting around: the railway network in these areas is more than efficient, and for getting around the city outskirts there are several bus and coach companies (some companies offer tickets starting from £ 1,00, around € 1,08)
- Flights: several direct flights from the main Italian cities (Milan, Rome, Venice, Pisa, Catania) also low-cost. The main airport is Birmingham, the other is East Midlands Airport
starting from € 150,00 -
- Accommodations and accommodations: all the major cities of the Midlands offer different accommodations to tourists, including b & b, luxury hotels and apartments for rent, the prices are suitable for all budgets.
Hotel and b & b starting from € 44,00 per room -
Most Interesting Articles
- maldives islands where they are when to go and what to see
- ranking of the most rude countries in the world
- top 10 mafias in the world the richest and most powerful criminal organizations
- the 15 biggest and most beautiful zoos in the world official ranking
- top 10 biggest and most beautiful zoos in europe official ranking