Nepal, although it was hit in 2015 by a violent earthquake that destroyed many areas, is a country full of charm. The Himalayan chain that overlooks it makes it unique in the world; but not only that, here there are many rural villages, Buddhist and Hindu temples, a large Natural Park and many circuits suitable for high mountain lovers. A place that lends itself to any type of traveler: from simpler forms of tourism for those visiting the famous Kathmandu Valley to more complex types of visitors who come here to challenge nature and the mountains.
Here is a small guide to organize a trip to Nepal: useful info, safety and recommended itineraries!
- Travel informed: useful information
- Where it is
- Security, visa and necessary documents
- 14 days itinerary: Nepal between culture and trekking
- 9 days itinerary: Discovering the Kathmandu Valley
- Travel to Nepal: flights, costs, best time and advice
- User questions and comments
- Request a personalized quote
Travel informed: useful information
- Inhabitants: 24.785.000
- Capital: Kathmandu
- Languages: Nepali, English
- Local currency: Nepalese rupee (NPR) / € 1,00 = 130,94 NPR
- Weather: subtropical in the southern part, with rainy, monsoon and torrid summers and sunny winters; temperate in the low mountains with mild, sunny winters and rainy but not muggy summers. Glacial on the peaks of the Himalayas with snowy winters and temperatures between -36 ° and -18 ° and drier summers with the thermometer between -18 ° and 0 °.
- Time zone: + 4 h and 45 min compared to Italy
- Travel / health insurance: recommended.
Where it is
Nepal is a country in South Asia which borders to the north with China and to the south with India and has no access to the sea. To the north, the Himalayan chain stretches for 900 km with high peaks reaching up to 8.000 meters and have always been a destination for explorers and mountaineers.
Security, visa and necessary documents
- Entry requirements: passport with residual validity of 6 months; visa compulsory, upon arrival at the airport you can request by presenting your passport and two passport photos (up to 15 days $ 25,00, approximately € 22,90; up to 30 days $ 40,00, approximately € 36,60; up to 3 months $ 100,00 , approximately € 91,50) or at the Honorary Consulate of Nepal in Rome
- vaccinations: no vaccination required coming from Italy, mandatory vaccination against yellow fever if you come from a country where yellow fever is at risk of transmission; recommended vaccine against tetanus / diphtheria, hepatitis A and B, meningococcus
- Restrictions: it is allowed to enter with a maximum of 200 cigarettes, 1 liter of alcohol and 15 film rolls
- Safety: the country, although at risk from earthquakes and has suffered some attacks in the past, is a rather safe place. Pay attention to possible and sudden roadblocks and stay away from possible manifestations. Before leaving and during your trip, keep up to date on the official website of the Farnesina in the Nepal section
- Useful Tips: even those who decide to make a trip to Nepal on their own should contact a guide, an added value to discover the country; it is also important to have adequate clothing when entering temples and sacred places. Those who decide to go on trekking will have to contact the agencies that organize excursions and book them in advance
14 days itinerary: Nepal between culture and trekking
- First day: day arrival in Kathmandu, dinner and overnight
- Second day: visit the capital to discover Durbar Square, Thamel and the Indra Chowk and Ason Chowk bazaars. Dinner and overnight in Kathmandu
- Third day: visit to the Buddhist monastery of Boudhnath where there is the largest stupa in Nepal and then to the Hindu temple of Pashupatinat, a place of ceremonies and cremations. In the late afternoon we reach Swayambunath, both a Hindu and Buddhist temple where you can enjoy a beautiful view of Kathmandu. Dinner and overnight in the capital
- Fourth day: transfer by bus to the Chitwan National Park, and once there, the first safari will take place to discover the animals that inhabit this area. Overnight and dinner in an eco-lodge in the park
- Fifth day: day entirely dedicated to Chitwan where if you are lucky you can meet white rhinos, Bengal tigers, elephants, crocodiles and juggling bears. Also we will visit the Tharu community. Dinner and overnight at the eco-lodge
- Sixth day: after breakfast transfer to Pokhara by bus, the quiet town nestled on the shores of Lake Phewal. The rest of the day will be dedicated to visiting the old city and relaxing
- Seventh day: transfer by bus to Nayapul and from there departure for the trek to Birethanti and Ghandruk. During the trek a little uphill you will cross several villages of the Gurung ethnic group until you reach a refuge where you spend the night
- Eighth day: after a beautiful sunrise on Annapurna and Fish Tail, we leave for a 5/6 hour trek from Ghandrung to Tolka to admire splendid views of mountains and villages. Arrival at the refuge and overnight
- Ninth day: Last day in this area dedicated to trekking from Tolka to Dhampus and then to Phedi, continuing to walk with the mountains in front. Return to Pokhara, dinner and overnight at the hotel
- Tenth day: after breakfast we reach Bandipur by bus, a small and wonderful Newari-style town with truly spectacular views of the Himalayas. Visit of the center, temples and walk on the surrounding hills. Dinner and overnight at the hotel
- Eleventh day: in the morning it can be reached by bus Besisahar, a town famous for being the base for those who dedicate themselves to excursions on Annapurna. From here with a jeep, crossing winding and spectacular roads you will arrive at the village of Galeghaun, where you will spend the night in a homestay
- Twelfth day: the day is dedicated to simple walks to admire breathtaking landscapes of the Himalayas and to visit the village and be with local families. Another night in the homestay
- Thirteenth day: day dedicated to the transfer by jeep to Besisahar and then by car or minibus to Kathmandu. Arrival in the late afternoon, dinner and overnight at the hotel
- Fourteenth day: last day dedicated to the visit of Bakthapur with its temples, palaces and red brick houses. Return to Kathmandu for the evening
- Fifteenth day: departure from Kathmandu and return with a flight to Italy
How much? Price details
- Price per person starting from: € 1.000,00
- The price includes: all overnight stays with breakfast, 2 dinners in the homestays, transfers by private car or van, transfer by jeep, trekking guides, private guide all the time, entry to the main sites to be visited
- The fee does not include: flights from / to Italy, meals and personal expenses
- Custom quote: to request a personalized quote
9 days itinerary: Discovering the Kathmandu Valley
- First day: arrival from Italy in the Nepalese capital Kathmandu, hotel accommodation and dinner in a typical restaurant
- Second day: walking itinerary for Kathmandu to discover the Thamel district and the medieval temples and palaces of Durban Square. Overnight in Kathmandu
- Third day: visit of the stupa of Swayambhunath and by taxi you will reach the nearby center of Bodhnath and in the evening you will arrive in Bhaktapur, hotel accommodation and overnight
- Fourth day: visit the beautiful Bhaktapur with its temples, palaces and red brick houses. Overnight here.
- Fifth day: in the morning we reach Patan, the oldest of the cities of the Valley, in the afternoon visit Bungamati and Khokana two Newari villages and return to Bhaktapur where we will spend the night
- Sixth day: in the morning we leave for Changu Narayan from where you can make a nice easy trek to get to Nagarkot walking among hills, villages and hidden temples. Evening and overnight in Nagarkot, famous for the view of the Himalayas
- Seventh day: wake up early to admire the sunrise over the Himalayan range then reach Dhulikel and from here on foot, in about 3 hours, you will arrive at the beautiful temple of Namobuddha. Then we visit Panauti, one of the oldest villages in Nepal and in the evening we return to Kathmandu
- Eighth day: from Kathmandu we reach Budhanilkantha early in the morning to attend the Hindu ceremony. Then we reach Pashupatinath famous for its cremations and in the late afternoon we reach the beautiful Swayambunath temple just outside Kathmandu. Last night in the capital
- Ninth day: departure from Kathmandu and return with a flight to Italy
How much? Price details
- Price per person starting from: € 500,00
- The price includes: car or bus with guide and driver, overnight stays in mid-range hotels with breakfast, entrances to the main sites
- The fee does not include: flights from / to Italy, meals and any personal extras
- Custom quote: to request a personalized quote
Travel to Nepal: flights, costs, best time and advice
Nepal is a very cheap destination and by organizing in time you can also find flights at a great price.
Mid-range accommodations cost around € 15,00 per night with breakfast and a full meal costs around € 6,00. It is suggested to travel with private taxis and bookable mini buses in various agencies because in this way you can choose your own itinerary (public buses are not very reliable). The cost in this case is a maximum of € 20,00 per day per car with driver.
The best time to plan a trip to Nepal is from November to March, when the days are sunny, the sky is clear and the temperatures are ideal for walking and visiting the many historical sites.
- Minimum period for a tour in Nepal: 8 days
- Recommended cities for base: Kathmandu, Bakthapur, Chitwan National Park, Pokhara, Ghandruk, Bandhipur, Galeghaun
- Getting around: the best way to move outside Kathmandu are private transfers by mini bus or chauffeur-driven car (daily cost of max € 20,00). For long journeys, internal flights are recommended, which cost approximately € 50,00 each way
- Flights: the cheapest times to go to Nepal are mid-seasons (October-November and February-March). From Europe the main companies that connect the capitals and main cities to Khatmandu are Emirates, Turkish and OmanAir. From Italy, Milan and Rome it takes about 12 hours with Turkish (including stopover in Istanbul), 15 hours with Oman Air (stopover in Muscat) and 16 hours with Emirates (stopover in Dubai).
starting from € 500,00 -
- Accommodations and accommodations: there are different types of accommodation, from shelters for backpackers, to homestays (typical houses) to mid-range hotels. Costs range from a few euros up to a maximum of € 40,00 per night per person in the most luxurious hotels in the capital
Hotel and b & b starting from € 12,00 per room -