Guyana is the third smallest sovereign state in South America after Uruguay and Suriname, located in the north-east coast, on the Atlantic Ocean. A enchanting territory formed by coastal plains, a hinterland with splendid rainforests, and natural plateaus that divide it from Brazil and Venezuela. Its name derives from the indigenous term Arawak Wayana, and literally means "land of many waters", due to the presence of numerous rivers, lakes and waterfalls, true wonders of nature. A almost completely untouched corner of the world, with its indigenous peoples who will welcome you with open arms in their typical huts and in their daily traditions. An extraordinary journey that you will hardly be able to forget.
- Travel informed: useful information, safety and necessary documents
- Where it is
- 12-day itinerary: from cities to lush tropical forests
- 8-day itinerary: Inner Guyana, wild nature and indigenous traditions
- Guiana do it yourself: flights, costs, best time and advice
- User questions and comments
Travel informed: useful information, safety and necessary documents
- Inhabitants: about 777 thousand inhabitants
- Capital: Georgetown
- Languages: English and Creole-English
- Local currency: Guyanese dollar - GYD (€ 1,00 = 234,75 GYD)
- Weather: tropical type with sultry summers and humid winters; temperatures are around 30. In inland areas temperatures tend to drop. There are two rainy seasons, from May to mid-August, and from mid-November to mid-January.
- Time zone: there are 5 hours of difference with Italy.
- vaccinations: vaccination against yellow fever is mandatory in case of arrival from one of the countries at risk. The one against malaria is recommended, due to the constant proliferation of mosquitoes (Georgetown and the coastal areas are not at risk of malaria). Health insurance is recommended.
- Entry requirements: passport required. No entry visa is required for stays of less than 90 days.
- Travel / health insurance: recommended.
Where it is
Guyana is a region of South America - it faces the Atlantic Ocean and borders Venezuela, Suriname and Brazil. From a political point of view, the northern part belongs to Venezuela, the south-eastern part to Brazil, the rest is divided into English Guiana, Suriname (Dutch Guiana), and French Guiana.
12-day itinerary: from cities to lush tropical forests
- First day: Arrival at Georgetown Cheddi Jagan Airport and hotel accommodation in town.
- Second day: visit of the capital with some museums such as the Walter Road and the African Heritage museum, and some important monuments such as the Lighthouse (famous for the panorama) and St George's Cathedral.
- Third day: continuation of the city tour with the characteristic markets of Stabroeck and Bourda, visit to the colonial buildings such as the President's House, the City Hall, the Red House and the home of Eddie Grant, Grammy-winning artist who brought Guyana's R&B music world.
- Fourth day: visit by jeep to the sugar cane field of Uitvlugt, testimony of Dutch trade and brutal Guyanese slavery, walk along the promenade gardens.
- Fifth day: arrival by car in the territory of Demerara River and accommodation in the resort.
- Sixth day: excursion in the dense rainforest near the Demerara River surrounded by lush nature and with the most characteristic birds to admire, especially the Hoatzin, the national bird of Guyana.
- Seventh day: arrival in the city of Linden and hotel accommodation.
- Eighth day: city tour with socio-cultural heritage museum, Christianburg water wheel, colonial monuments such as St Matthews Presbyterian Church, Watooka House, St. Aidan's Anglican Church.
- Ninth day: boat trip to the Wisroc blue lake.
- Tenth day: arrival in the territory of Essequibo, the longest river in Guyana, accommodation in the hotel in the city of Bartica.
- Eleventh day: excursion to the Baracara waterfalls.
- Twelfth day: return to Georgetown Cheddi Jagan airport and return to Italy.
How much? Price details
- Price per person starting from: € 5.000
- The price includes: round trip flight from Italy to Georgetown airport, hotel stay for 12 days in different locations, car rental at the airport for 12 days.
- The fee does not include: any tours organized in the various tourist attractions, costs for traveling by car from one location to another (petrol, tolls, etc.), food and drinks.
8-day itinerary: Inner Guyana, wild nature and indigenous traditions
- First day: arrival at Cheddy Jagan airport in Georgetown and departure for the territory of the Rupununi river with accommodation in one of the numerous "eco lodges" in Surama.
- Second day: total immersion in the typical life of the indigenous village with bow and arrow fishing, artisan preparation of cassava bread, excursion into the surrounding nature.
- Third day: transfer to Kuranambu lodge, excursion in the savannah and surrounding forest with birdwatching and observation of typical fauna such as anteaters.
- Fourth day: excursion on the Rupununi river to observe the local fauna composed of giant otters, arapaima black caimans, boas, iguanas, possums, monkeys and many other specimens.
- Fifth day: visit to the Amerindian village of Yupukari to fully immerse yourself in the life of its inhabitants, from typical activities to more traditional uses and customs.
- Sixth day: return to Georgetown with hotel accommodation, quick tour of the city with St George's Cathedral, the Lighthouse and the characteristic Stabroeck bazaar.
- Seventh day: visit to the Kaieteur waterfalls, among the highest in the world.
- Eighth day: arrival at Georgetown Cheddy Jagan airport and return to Italy.
How much? Price details
- Price per person starting from: € 4.000
- The price includes: round trip flight from Italy to Georgetown airport, stay in hote / eco lodges for 7 days in different locations, car rental at the airport for 7 days.
- The fee does not include: any tours organized in the various tourist attractions, costs for car travel from one location to another (petrol, tolls, etc.), food and drinks.
Guiana do it yourself: flights, costs, best time and advice
The cost of living in Guyana is about 28% lower than in Italy. The most expensive part of a trip to this region is certainly the air flight, characterized by various stopovers. the best time to find lower costs are from June to July and from November to December, however very rainy seasons. The cost of transport is significantly lower than in Italy, a bus ticket starts from a minimum of € 0,40, to rent a car, however, the costs are much higher (from € 30,00 to € 120,00 , 0,90 per day), even if you save a lot on the cost of fuel (€ 16,00 per liter). For a lunch / dinner you spend on average € 4,90, for a breakfast € 7. From 10 to 4,000 days you spend a total of € 6,000 to depending on the planned activities (organized by the tour operator or not) and the reference period.
- Minimum period for a tour in Guyana: 7/8 days
- Recommended cities for base: Georgetown (capital), Linden, Bartica, Anna Regina, New Amsterdam, Parika.
- Getting around: small planes, buses and river boats are available.
- Flights: There are no direct flights from Italy (and Europe), there are one or more stopovers depending on the company. In high season (late January and late August) flights vary from € 800,00 to € 1.300 approximately, in low season (wettest, June, July, November, December) from € 700,00 to € 1.200 approximately. From Italy (Rome and Milan) Carribean Airlines, Air Europa, Copa, Alitalia operate with a stopover in Madrid, Amsterdam, Miami and Panama, depending on the period. Flights from Rome from € 2.392 - Flights from Milan from € 1.129
- Accommodations and accommodations: in the main cities, especially in the capital of Georgetown, there are several possibilities to stay, even very cheap (€ 20,00 per night). If you decide to visit the innermost Guyana, it is preferable to stay in traditional eco lodges, huts managed directly by the indigenous communities that live in the territory (from € 60,00 per night). Hotels and b & b in Georgetown from € 22,00 per room
Most Interesting Articles
- maldives islands where they are when to go and what to see
- ranking of the most rude countries in the world
- top 10 mafias in the world the richest and most powerful criminal organizations
- the 15 biggest and most beautiful zoos in the world official ranking
- top 10 biggest and most beautiful zoos in europe official ranking