Very often we dream of living a life of kings and queens, thinking of medieval castles and knights errant. But royal families have also survived into the modern age and many democratic countries are ruled by a monarchy. Let's find out together the 10 most famous royal families.
- House of Windsor, England
- Grimaldi family, Monaco
- House Orange-Nassau, Netherlands
- Royal House Saxonia-Coburg-Gotha, Belgium
- Royal Bourbon House of Parma-Nassau-Weilburg, Luxembourg
- Imperial House, Japan
- House of Liechtenstein
- Sultanate of Brunei
- Royal House Bernadotte, Sweden
- House of the Bourbons, Spain
- User questions and comments
1 - House of Windsor, England
- Name of the current ruler: Queen Elizabeth II
- Next heir to the throne: Charles
Always in the limelight for its court scandals, the English royal family has recently experienced a new fame thanks to wedding of William and Kate and the arrival of their heirs: George and Charlotte. Let's hope this union is luckier than that of Carlo and Diana!
2 - Grimaldi family, Monaco
- Name of the current ruler: Prince Albert II
- Next heir to the throne: Jacques
The Munich family has been in the tabloid newspapers several times, especially for the vicissitudes that have accompanied the life of Stephanie and Carolina, sisters of the reigning prince.
3 - House Orange-Nassau, Netherlands
- Name of the current ruler: King William Alexander
- Next heir to the throne: Amalia
The King of the Netherlands has limited powers and does not express himself in political matters. However, the royal family is much loved and on April 27, the national holiday dedicated to the family, the whole town is tinged with orange in his honor.
4 - Royal House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, Belgium
- Name of the current ruler: King Filippo Leopoldo Luigi
- Next heir to the throne: Elizabeth
Unlike what happens in other states, Philip is not the king of Belgium but the king of the Belgians, to signify the importance that the people have in front of the state. Always in distinction to normal monarchies, in Belgium the heir to the throne becomes ruler not directly upon the death of the ruler in office, but only after he has taken the oath.
5 - Royal Bourbon House of Parma-Nassau-Weilburg, Luxembourg
- Name of the current ruler: Grand Duke Henry Albert Gabriel Félix Marie Guillaume
- Next heir to the throne: William
The reigning ruler obtained the throne in 2000 later the abdication of the father and he is Gabriel's grandfather, who despite bearing the family surname, will not enter the estate since Prince Philip had it before marrying the child's mother.
6 - Imperial House, Japan
- Name of the current ruler: Emperor Naruhito
- Next heir to the throne: Prince Akishino
Le imperial princesses and princesses lose their right to be part of the imperial family when they marry, unless they marry the emperor or another man in the family.
7 - House of Liechtenstein
- Name of current sovereign: John Adam II formally retains the title, but since 2004 government decisions are made by the prince regent Louis Philippe Maria
- Next heir to the throne: Luigi Filippo Maria
The rights of belonging to the dynasty reigning are defined by a family law that only the members of the family can vote: the parliament and government of Liechtenstein have no say.
8 - Sultanate of Brunei
- Name of the current ruler: Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah
- Next heir to the throne: Al-Muhtadee Billah
The sultan is also Prime Minister and he currently has only one wife who is also his first cousin: with his second wife he divorced in 2003 and the next in 2010. Furthermore, he is particularly famous for his large collection of luxury cars.
9 - Bernadotte Royal House, Sweden
- Name of the current ruler: King Carlo Gustavo VI Adolfo
- Next heir to the throne: Vittoria
Inherited the throne on the death of his grandfather, the current ruler preferred to use the title of king of Sweden in place of the traditional "by the grace of God king of the Swedes, Goths and Wendics". Furthermore, like his two predecessors, he gave up the use of the crown during the enthronement ceremony.
10 - House of the Bourbons, Spain
- Name of the current ruler: King Philip VI
- Next heir to the throne: Leonor
The current ruler of Spain succeeded his father after his abdication. Third child of Juan Carlos of Spain and Sofia of Greece, ensured the male ancestry of the throne. He participated in the 1992 Barcelona Olympics in the sailing team and as a flag bearer.