The Earth, our home, never ceases to amaze us. We take it for granted that we now know it so well that we believe there is nothing more to discover. But we are wrong and the watchful eye of Google Earth continue to capture glimpses of our planet with a decidedly unusual flavor. Do you know what they are? No? Then discover with us the 20 strangest places to ever appear on Google Earth!
- The Guardian of the Badlans
- Ghost Island
- Lake in the shape of a human
- Lake of blood
- Pink rabbit
- Matryoshka islands
- Circle in the desert
- Aircraft Cemetery
- A great name
- Scale trainings
- Running elephants
- People on the beach
- Gigantic advertising
- Natural paradises
- Provocative lips
- Wooded guitar
- Huge swimming pool
- Soaking hippos
- User questions and comments
1 - The Guardian of the Badlans
- Coordinates: 50.010083, -110.113006
- Fun Fact: It's about a geological marvel, dubbed "The Guardian of the Badlans" by the locals. This "natural sculpture"looks strikingly like a human head wearing an Indian headdress. Beautiful and very strange at the same time, don't you think?
2 - Ghost Island
- Coordinates: they no longer exist
- Curiosity: A group of researchers in the 2012 discovered one mysterious hidden island, as big as Manhattan. They called her Sandy Island and he was near New Caledonia, in the southwestern Pacific. Why do we speak in the past tense? Well why once the position is accurately detected thanks to Google Earth, on the spot the astonished scientists did not find just nothing, only ocean. The mystery of the ghost island is alone an error? At the moment nobody knows ...
3 - Lake in the shape of a human being
- Coordinates: -21.805149, -49.089977
- Curiosity: To admire this man-made oddity it must be observed from very high up. Google Earth helps us in the enterprise by letting us discover this giant lake in the shape of a human near Bauru, in Brazil.
4 - Lake of blood
- Coordinates: 33.396157 ° N, 44.486926 °
- Curiosity: At first glance it really looks like a lake of blood. Is situated in Iraq, in Sadr City. At the moment, no official explanation is known on the intense and particular color of the catchment area. Some idea?
5 - Pink rabbit
- Coordinates: 44.244273,7.769737
- Curiosity: There are those who have a lot of fun peeking over our planet as if it were an alien using Google Earth and one of the favorite pastimes of this community of onlookers is to be able to find gigantic and very special things.
Well, know that in Italy., in Prato Nevoso, existed a huge pink rabbit made by a group of Viennese artists. Was long more than 70 meters e his name was Hare. Over the years, the rabbit has decomposed until it was completely removed.
6 - Matryoshka islands
- Coordinates: 69,793 ° N, 108,241 ° W.
- Curiosity: In Canada it exists the largest island in the world within a lake.
The particularity is not so much that of being great, as that of being hosted by a lake which, in turn, is located on another island, which encompasses a number of other lakes. But that is not all! Apparently, no human has ever landed in this wilderness.
7 - Circle in the desert
- Coordinates: 37.401437, -116.86773
- Curiosity: One sort of crop circle, but not in wheat but in the desert! It is located around Beatty, in Nevada. Mmmmm, but there is also Area 51 there: are the aliens really trying to communicate something to us?
8 - Aircraft Cemetery
- Coordinates: 32 08'59 .96 "N, 110 50'09 .03" W
- Curiosity: Davis Monthan Air Force Base in Tucson, in Arizona, is also known as the Aircraft Cemetery. Nicknamed The Boneyard, is visitable only by professionals. However, thanks to Google Earth we too can get a peek inside this unusual metal cemetery, often used to shoot important videos due to its charm.
9 - A great name
- Coordinates: 24.3442, 54.3255
- Curiosity: Hamad bin Hamdan Al Nahyan is a billionaire, Sheikh and member of the ruling family of Abu Dhabi. His name was written on the sandy surface of Futaisi Island, an island of Persian Gulf of which he himself is the owner. The letters that make up the word Hamad were carved in such a way that resist the rains and to be visible even from space.
10 - Scale training
- Coordinates: 38.265652,105.9517
- Curiosity: Those who work for the secret services know it well: it is practically impossible to hide something, especially if it is very big things. Google Earth treasure hunters found this special area of 4,6 Km² which unofficial sources speculate to be the scale representation of a region disputed border between China and India. This "reconstruction" is located in a remote area of north-central China and is thought to be coming used to train tank pilots. Who knows ... they will never tell us ...
11 - Elephants running
- Coordinates: 10.903497 N, 19,93229 E
- Curiosity: If you are passionate naturalists or simply curious, by entering these coordinates you will come across a wild ride of elephants. Some high definition images show a rapidly moving group of pachyderms in Chad.
12 - People on the beach
- Coordinates: -33.892361,151.275389
- Curiosity: Google Earth constantly updates its maps, also integrating them with images taken by satellites and high-altitude planes. In this way they can be offered images at ever higher resolutions. By entering these coordinates and maximizing the view, you will find yourself observing the Australian beach of Bondi Beach and you can almost be able to read the brand of bikinis and swimsuits people wear!
13 - Gigantic advertising
- Coordinates: 7,646163 ° N, 115,750819 ° W.
- Trivia: We are talking about mapvertising, do you know what it is? It is the art of advertising on large spaces. The largest logo it is up to the brand Coke and is located on a Chilean hill.
14 - Natural paradises
- Coordinates: -17.925511,25.858223; 27.985866,86.92844; 3.0726042,37.343093
- Trivia: Do you dream of flying over incredible natural views with your plane, like in an adventure film? Google Earth can give you a little taste of what your creative mind imagines. The first coordinates will show you the Victoria Falls, on the border between Zambia and Zimbabwe. The latter theEverest, the highest mountain on the Asian continent as well as the entire planet Earth. The latest, finally, the Kilimanjaro, the beautiful dormant volcano of Tanzania.
15 - Wreck
- Coordinates: 19 ° 38'46.00 "N, 37 ° 17'42.00" E
- Fun Fact: This wreck is actually the SS Jassim, a Bolivian cargo ferry. It ran aground and sank on the Wingate Reef, offshore coasts of Sudan in 2003. It was one of the largest sunken ships visible on Google Earth.
16 - Provocative lips
- Coordinates: 12 ° 22'13.32 "N, 23 ° 19'20.18" E
- Curiosity: They seem just parted lips, ma in reality it is one hill formation in Gharb Darfur, in Sudan.
17 - Pentacle
- Coordinates: + 52 ° 28 '47.14 .62 ", + 11 ° 8.38 '"
- Curiosity: In the steppes of central Asia, in a remote location of Kazakhstanis located a huge pentacle which measures approximately 366 meters in diameter. It is engraved on the earth's surface and each point is surrounded by a circle. For many it is a drawing linked to the devil worship and the work of some religious sect. From the ground the structure reveals itself simply be a star-shaped park that hosts streets lined with trees.
18 - Wooded Guitar
- Coordinates: -33.867886, -63.987
- Curiosity: A wood one kilometer long formed by more of 7000 cypresses and eucalyptus trees: that's what this gigantic guitar is. Is situated in the Argentine Pampas. Obviously, in this case, any alien theory about it is to be discarded.
19 - Huge swimming pool
- Coordinates: -33.350534, -71.653268
- Curiosity: It is located in the seaside complex of San Alfonso del Mar, in the Algarrobo area. This gigantic swimming pool è longer than 1 Km and has a total area of 8 hectares. E ' the largest in the world and is located in Valparaiso, in Chile. Wow!
20 - Soaking hippos
- Coordinates: 6 ° 53'53.00 "S 31 ° 11'15.40" E
- Curiosity: By inserting these coordinates you will find yourself observing with amusement cute hippos immersed in a sort of natural swimming pool in the Katavi National Park, in Tanzania.