If you ask an Italian what his favorite dish is, in 80% of cases you will hear the answer "pizza". And how to blame him? But to be a real pizza it must be wood-fired, slowly leavened, with a thin dough and a soft rim, and stuffed with first choice ingredients. And where to find it if not in the best 10 pizzerias in Naples?
1 - From Michele
Antica pizzeria da Michele is a historic place in Naples, dating back to the beginning of the last century, even if it has its current headquarters "only" since the 30s. Michele only serves real pizzas: Margherita and Napoli. The service is fast and convivial but since the pizzeria does not accept reservations, you can even wait 2 hours for a table.
- Address: Via Cesare Sersale 1/3, 80139; tel: 081 446643
- House specialties: pizza Margherita and pizza Napoli
- Hours: Monday to Saturday from 11am to 23pm
2 - Sorbillo
Opened in the 30s, it is a family-run pizzeria today managed by the brothers Antonio and Gino. The Sorbillo pizzeria is always full but the service is fast. The pizzas that come out of the plate they are worth the long wait to get a table (they don't take reservations).
- Address: Via Dei Tribunali, 32, 80138; tel: 081 446643
- Specialty of the house: pizza margherita
- Hours: Monday to Saturday from 12 to 15.30 and from 19 to 23
3 - Starita
Pizzeria Starita in Materdei is known by all for being the set of "The gold of Naples"by De Sica with Sofia Loren. Opened in 1901 as a cellar, it has become one of the most important pizzerias in Naples, now in its fourth generation. The service is fast but the queue to enter is very long and it is not possible to book.
- Address: Via Materdei 27, 28, 80136; tel: 081 557 3682
- Specialty of the house: montanare with Genoese sauce
- Hours: Tuesday to Sunday from 12 to 15.30 and from 19 to 23.30
4 - Di Matteo
Pizzeria Di Matteo boasts years of long experience and has become a real Neapolitan symbol. Being also fry, offers an exquisite fried pizza, definitely worth trying. Go early as the queue is long.
- Address: Via Tribunali 94, 80138; tel: 081.45.52.62
- House specialty: pasta omelette
- Hours: Monday to Saturday from 9 to midnight
5 - Brandi
Definitely one of the oldest pizzerias in Naples: founded in 1780 by Pietro Colicchio who sold it to Enrico Brandi. It is from the heirs of the Brandi family that the prestigious Margherita was born, dedicated to the queen who had enjoyed this dish so much in her palace of Capodimonte. Accept reservations.
- Address: Vico Sant'Anna di Palazzo 1-2, 80132; tel: 081 416928
- Specialty of the house: pizza Margherita
- Hours: Tuesday to Sunday from 12.30 to 15.30 and from 19 to 23.30
6 - Concettina at the Three Saints
A historic pizzeria in a historic district: Health, one of the most populated areas of Naples and close to archaeological excavations of primary importance. Concettina Oliva opened this pizzeria in 1951 near the icons of Maria, Sant'Anna and San Vincenzo who protect it and keep it going well.
- Address: Via Arena alla Sanità 7 Bis, 80137; tel: 081 290037
- House specialty: Genoese omelette
- Hours: Monday to Saturday from 10am to 23.30pm
7 - Acunzo
Located at Vomero, a hilly and chic area of the city, Acunzo is a historic pizzeria ideal for those who want to refresh themselves after a day of shopping and cultural visits.
- Address: Via Domenico Cimarosa 60/62, 80127; tel: 081 578 5362
- House specialty: pizza with pasta
- Hours: Monday to Saturday from 19.30pm to midnight, Saturday and Sunday from 13pm to 15pm
8 - Gorizia
Even the Gorizia pizzeria is located in the Vomero district and enjoys very high esteem by the Neapolitans doc.
- Address: Viale colli Aminei 56 / C; 081 741 4869
- Specialty of the house: their gluten free pizza is particularly well known, for many the best in Naples
- Hours: Monday to Saturday from 11.30 to 15 and from 18 to 23, Sunday from 18 to 23
9 - Pellone
Famous for its huge pizza, Pellone is ideal for travelers, given its proximity to the Central Station. The service is quick but there are a lot of people at peak times.
- Address: Via Nazionale 93 | Vasto district, 80143; tel: 081 553 8614
- House specialty: fried calzone with ricotta and cracklings
- Hours: Monday to Saturday from noon to midnight
10 - 50 Kalò
Close to the seafront of Mergellina, 50 Kalò is a recent pizzeria on the Neapolitan scene. Its name means good dough (drop is good in Greek, while 50 is the number of bread in the Neapolitan grimace). Does not accept reservations.
- Address: Piazza Sannazaro 201 / B, 80123; tel: 081 1920 4667
- House specialty: proposals for vegans
- Hours: every day from 12.30 to 16 and from 19.30 to 0.30