Amsterdam is the city of transgression, here everything seems to be allowed: from the red light districts that have become an icon of tourism, but first of all the bulwark of regulated prostitution, and then the soft drugs that can be consumed in coffee shops. Young people come to Amsterdam not only for these reasons but also for discos and clubs open until late at night, in which to live fun evenings. Are you planning a holiday in the Dutch capital? Then they cannot be missing from your guide the 10 most beautiful nightclubs in amsterdam.
- De Marktkantine
- Air Amsterdam
- De School
- Dolly disc
- Jimmy Woo
- Map of the best clubs in Amsterdam
- User questions and comments
1 - Bret
Bret is a new generation venue that reflects the eco-friendly environment of Amsterdam. Located next to Sloterdijk station it was recovered from an old bus depot and built with red shipping containers and wooden decorations. In addition, the food and drinks offered to patrons are all about sustainability. You can have dinner during the week and if the weather is nice also stay outside. During the weekend DJs are hosted who play music and the tables in the restaurant are moved to allow people present in the room to dance.
- it is right in front of the Sloterdijk station as well as the bus terminal. From the central station just take a Sprinter or Intercity train towards Sloterdijk, takes 5 minutes - Get directions
- during the week open from 10:00 to midnight, on Fridays until 03:00 and on Saturdays until 05:00
- drink from € 5,00
- Events and concerts: artists such as DJ Guzz, Gabrielle Kwarteng, Laylla Dayne have played in this venue. Discover all the events on the official website
- Info and advice: the restaurant is open to all but, during DJ sets or concerts, there may be restrictions for children under 21. Also, some evenings may require a particular dress code so it is best to check the official website
2 - Panama
Panama is a now historic nightclub dedicated to techno music, which, however, has hosted, over time, internationally renowned artists such as Alicia Keys and FatBoySlim. Obtained from a warehouse located along the canals, Panama is open from Thursday to Sunday e offers different events or theme parties, so before you go check which evening is right for you! The place is very large with two separate lounges and a large smoking room, also the interior is very nice with imaginative play of light colors and a state of the art sound system.
- tram number 26 to the Rietlandpark stop, 400 meters from the disco, or bus 289 to the Oostelijke Handelskade stop which is right outside the entrance - Get directions
- Friday and Saturday from 21:00 to 05:00, Sunday and Thursday from 21:00 to 04:00
- from € 7,00 in presale to € 15,00 on site, some evenings, however, include only the drink
- Events and concerts: in this place artists such as Dj Ralf, Liquid Soul, Jay Lumen have played.
- Info and advice: Panama is one of the clubs participating in the Amsterdam Nightlife circuit, you can buy the ticket for € 10,00 and have access to about 20 clubs
3 - Claire
Claire is a young club, yet she has already earned the title of one of the most beautiful and popular nightclubs in Amsterdam. It is located in the central Rembrandt square and took the place of the historic Studio 80, which closed in 2015. Specialized in techno music, insiders say it competes with Berlin clubs. Inside there are many rooms of various sizes: if you just want to sit and have a drink, that's possible. Lovers of the very small hours? Claire is open until 08:00 on Saturday and Sunday mornings.
- the Rembrandtplein stop is right in front of the disco, you can get there by tram lines 4 and 14 and by buses 285-287-289-291 - Get directions
- Thursday and Sunday from 23pm to 00am, Friday and Saturday from 04pm to 00am
- variable starting from € 7,50 - the drink is separately
- Events and concerts: in this place artists such as the DJ Senc, Julien Simmons have played. Discover all the events on the official website
- Info and advice: attention to restrictions, only those over 21 can access
4 - Bitterzoet
Bitterzoet is a club located in the undergrounds of Amsterdam, managed by the property of the largest and most famous club Paradiso, with which the scene of the most important names who come to play in the city is shared. It offers not only indie and soul music but also live concerts, in the past it even hosted Ron Gallo before he became famous. But not just music: emerging theater companies also perform here. The place has a very particular, intimate style, where you can sit and at the end of the evening even have a chat with the singers.
- ten minutes walk from Amsterdam Central Station and 200 meters from Nieuwezijds Kolk stop, where bus 284 and trams 2, 11, 12, 13, 17 arrive - Get directions
- Monday to Thursday from 20:00 to 03:00, from Friday to Sunday from 08:00 to 04:00
- variable, starting from € 12,00
- Events and concerts: artists like Lou Rhode, Ron Gallo have played in this venue. Discover all the events on the official website
- Info and advice: some reviewers on the internet complain of being refused entry due to clothing, the dress code is casual chic, to be checked anyway depending on the evening
5 - De Marktkantine
This singular venue it was built in 1936 as a canteen for traders which came from the nearby market, it was then renovated in 1950 for other uses and in the 90s it was one of the most important clubs for the international diffusion of dance music of the time. Reopened in 2014, this venue has seen alternating food, theater and music throughout its history. Now it is a very popular club, in fact beware of the lines that are created in front. It offers techno, dub and electronic dance evenings, hosts the most famous DJs on the international scene.
- it's right in front of the Markthallen stop, where you can get there by bus lines 18 and 282 - Get directions
- open Friday and Saturday from 23pm to 00am
- variable starting from € 15,00
- Events and concerts: artists like Franky Rizardo, Route 94, John Digweed have played in this venue. Discover all the events on the official website
- Info and advice: tickets for the single nights dedicated to DJs are on sale online and are usually sold out immediately. If you are interested in an evening, keep an eye on it
6 - Air Amsterdam
Famous nightclub in the 90s, Air Amsterdam represents a dip in the past, but it remains, even today, one of the most famous and frequented in particular by tourists, it is in fact in a very central and very convenient position for those staying in this area. The most popular DJs at international level have all passed through here. Equipped with various rooms each dedicated to a particular music, the venue is now a reference point for house music, trance music and hip hop, the latter played inside the privé. The plays of light in the rooms are truly spectacular!
- Rembrandtplein stop is 200 meters away, you can get there by tram lines 4 and 14 and by buses 285-287-289-291 - Get directions
- open Thursday and Sunday from 23pm to 00am and Friday and Saturday from 04pm to 00am
- it is necessary to make a rechargeable Air Card at the entrance, to be used for cloakroom and drinks. The denominations range from € 10,00 (with € 2,00 deposit) to € 30,00 (without deposit), it is valid for two years. For events, the ticket starts at € 8,00 in advance
- Events and concerts: artists like Afro Jack, Steve Aoki have played in this venue. Discover all the events on the official website
- Info and advice: you must be at least 18 years old to enter, on Sunday 21. Given the payment conditions, a group Air card is recommended to avoid leaving too much money inside
7 - De School
It is a really young nightclub, part of a large complex opened in 2016 and derived from an old technical school in the west of Amsterdam. The disco rooms, in particular, are housed in the school's old bicycle shed. The whole complex, however, hosts much more: concert hall, restaurant, café, exhibition space and even a gym, open 7 days a week without breaks: you could spend a whole day there. Inside the club, techno music is played mostly, there are parties and concerts, the program is always very rich.
- the entrance is 800 meters from the Amsterdam Mercatorplein stop, you can get there by tram line 7 and bus lines 15, 282 - Get directions
- opens at 23pm, for certain events at 00pm, until 20am. Better check out the individual events on the site.
- variable, starting from € 10,00
- Events and concerts: artists like Bonobo, Satoshi Yamamura, Ben Ufo have played in this venue. Discover all the events on the official website.
- Info and advice: only those over 18 are allowed in the premises of the complex, only those over 21 are allowed in the disco. Pay attention to the entrance, the controls are very strict, it is not allowed to take photos inside, open shoes are not appreciated, and they usually ask questions to understand how much is known about the expected event.
8 - Dolly disc
Disco Dolly is a discopub and night club in the central area of Amsterdam, small but very popular with students in particular because it maintains quite affordable prices for both the entrance ticket and the alcohol. They play funky, soul, boogie, hip hop and even house music, dedicating evenings to internationally renowned artists. Compared to other discos usually open from Thursday evening, Disco Dolly is convenient because it is open every evening and, in some evenings to check on the program, admission is free until midnight, ideal for having a beer at the end of the day and listening to music.
- it is 200 meters from the Spui tram stop, reachable by lines 2,11,12 - Get directions
- Monday to Sunday from 23pm to 00am, Friday and Saturday closes at 04am
- variable starting from € 10,00. Beer for € 2,80
- Events and concerts: artists like Mr. Stxx, Axel Nielsen have played in this venue. Discover all the events on the official website.
- Info and advice: the place is quite quiet as regards the dress code, at the entrance there is however a minimum of control as in the other places
9 - Jimmy Woo
Jimmy Woo is an elegant and refined nightclub, which has created a truly exclusive environment inside, with the addition of an Asian imprint that can be recognized in the eccentric style of the furniture. Despite its appearance, the place has always maintained an international style as regards the choice of music and guests that animate the evenings: R&B, house, techno, hip hop. You can book a table on the appropriate form on their website, you will have a dedicated waiter for the whole evening, while it is difficult to move inside without a support: the place is small and always very crowded.
- 100 meters from the Leidseplein tram stop, accessible by lines 2, 11, 12 - Get directions
- open Thursday and Sunday from 23pm to 00am, Friday and Saturday from 03pm to 00am
- ranging from € 10,00 to € 15,00 for a drink, from € 450,00 for the table
- Events and concerts: artists like Mr. Nice Guy, Beau Garcon have played in this venue. Discover all the events on the official website
- Info and advice: admission only to people over 18 years old
10 - Escape
Escape is one of the historic nightclubs in Amsterdam as well as one of the largest: in fact, it can accommodate up to 2.000 people. Temple of house music of the 90s, now they continue to play together with electronic music, the environment is really special, characterized by spectacular hi-tech lights. Some evenings are then dedicated to particular themes, like 60s-70s music. The restaurant is divided on two levels, with the huge main room on the ground floor and a secondary room upstairs. Inside, moreover, there is also the possibility to eat and there are various bars on the two levels. The clientele is mixed: you can find all ages.
- the Rembrandtplein stop is in front of the entrance, you can get there by tram lines 4 and 14 and by buses 285-287-289-291 - Get directions
- Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday from 23pm to 00am. Friday and Saturday from 04pm to 00am
- admission € 16,00, drink from € 10,00
- Events and concerts: artists like Raymondo, Troj, Ryan Benori have played in this venue. Discover all the events on the official website.
- Info and advice: as in all clubs in Amsterdam there is a strict control at the entrance with metal detectors