A very popular destination in the Cyclades, if not the most famous island, Mykonos is a perfect island both for those who love nightlife and for those seeking relaxation. Much depends in fact on the area in which you decide to stay and on the type of holiday you plan. It is no coincidence that it is nicknamed Greek Ibiza.
But what does this island so loved by international tourism offer? Wonderful beaches and crystal clear sea, picturesque villages dotted with white houses and flowered balconies, windmills and uncontaminated nature, But especially nightlife unbridled and no limits!
From the quietest and wildest to the most animated and equipped, we list you below the 10 most beautiful beaches of Mykonos.
1 - Agios Ioannis, Ornos
On the southwest coast, near Ornos, there is this small beach, famous for its clear sand, shallow and crystal clear waters.
Ideal for swimming with children and enjoying the relaxed atmosphere. On one side of the bay there is a beautiful church and a beach bar with an excellent restaurant: the Hippie Fish. The view on the island of Delos is suggestive.
- Where it is: on the south-west coast, in the locality of Ornos. With your own vehicle, from the capital, take Epar.Od. Ormou Agiou Ioanni-Agiou Stefanou (15 minutes). Alternatively, bus line n. 1 from Fabrika Square (€ 1,00- € 2,50) - Get directions
- Ideal for: relaxation, families with children
- Type: white sand, shallow and crystal clear water
2 - Kalafatis, Ano Mera
Along the south-eastern coast of the island, not far from the town of Ano Mera, there is an inlet that welcomes this beautiful beach. Considered the beach with the cleanest and most beautiful sea on the island.
Characterized by white sand and a lot of wind: it is a real paradise for surfers!
The location is ideal for taking a boat and making one trip to Dragonisi, the rocky islet famous for its caves, and the many fish restaurants in the surrounding area.
Kalafatis is a fairly large beach, partly free and partly equipped by Spilia, a beach club with a very nice and panoramic restaurant.
- Where it is: south-east coast, Ano Mera. With your own vehicle, from the capital, take Epar.Od. Mikonou-Ano Merias (25 minutes). Alternatively, bus line n. 2 from Porto Vecchio (€ 1,00 - € 2,50) - Get directions
- Ideal for: surf
- Type: White sand
3 - Super Paradise Beach, southwest of Mykonos Town
This is one of the most famous beaches on the island.
Golden sand and very clean sea which changes from emerald green to turquoise blue.
Ideal destination for practicing water sports; but people come here mainly to dance until late at night!
The beach became famous in the 60s, when young hippies came here to practice nudism. Now the beach continues to be popular with young people, the gay community and celebrities. During the day the beach is a favorite place for visitors and swimmers; in the late afternoon the party begins in earnest. We dance, between cocktails and fresh fruit, until the following morning.
- Where it is: south-west coast, 6 km from Mykonos Town. With your own vehicle, from the capital, take Epar.Od. Mikonou (21 minutes). Alternatively, bus line n. 1 from Fabrika Square (€ 1,00 - € 2,50) - Get directions
- Ideal for: water sports and nightlife
- Type: golden sand and crystal clear sea
4 - Lia, east of Mykonos town
On the southern coast, 14 km from Mykonos Town, there is this beach, the furthest from the capital.
It is a secluded destination far from the nightlife, ideal for enjoying a little relaxation. The beach is very large and has sand and pebbles the water is really crystal clear.
The bay looks directly over the islands of Naxos and Paros.
Much loved by islanders, the beach is perfect for those who love snorkeling.
It is equipped with two beach clubs: Lia (which also has a fish tavern immediately behind it, quite basic) and Liasti (more exclusive). The two ends of the beach are free instead.
- Where it is: south coast, 14 km from Mykonos Town. With your own vehicle, from the capital, take Epar.Od. Mikonou-Ano Merias (27 minutes). Alternatively, bus line n. 2 from Porto Vecchio (€ 1,00 - € 2,50) - Get directions
- Ideal for: snorkeling and relaxation
- Type: golden sand and crystal clear sea
5 - Agia Anna, Kalafatis
Enclosed by rocky areas, it is one of the quietest beaches in all of Mykonos.
Intimate and secret cove of pebbles and sand, it is immersed in a breathtaking landscape it is characterized by crystal clear and always calm waters, due to the particular position that makes it sheltered from the strongest winds.
A few minutes from Kalafatis, it is a destination of great relaxation overlooking two beautiful steep hills overlooking the sea.
This splendid shaded cove it is the best place to swim and enjoy one relaxing holiday. A destination little frequented by mass tourism interested only in pure fun and therefore it is frequented mostly by families with children following, couples looking for an intimate place and vacationers in the dispassionate search for well-deserved relaxation. Despite this, the area is still well equipped.
- Where it is: south-east coast. A few minutes from Kalafatis. With your own vehicle, from the capital, take Epar.Od. Mikonou-Ano Merias (21 minutes). Alternatively, bus line n. 2 from Porto Vecchio (€ 1,00 - € 2,50) - Get directions
- Ideal for: relaxation
- Type: sand and pebbles, crystal clear waters
6 - Platys Gialòs, Chora
It is one of the most interesting and strategic beaches on the island.
Surrounded by hills, about 4 km from Mykonos Town, this location is among the most popular on the island due to its position sheltered from the winds. the sea is calm and transparent and the beach clear and fine.
The beautiful valley that surrounds the beach descends in jumps between olive trees and terraces planted with myrtles and junipers that descend towards the crystalline blue sea.
Equipped with 6 establishments, there is also a center for practice various water sports.
definitely not very fashionable it is perfect for couples in the mood for romance and families who want to enjoy some quiet in the evening.
If you want to go to the capital, there is a convenient bus service that leaves every 15 minutes.
- Where it is: southern coast. 4 km from Mykonos Town. With your own vehicle, from the capital, take Epar.Od. Mikonou (14 minutes). Alternatively, bus line n. 1 from Fabrika Square (€ 1,00 - € 2,50) - Get directions
- Ideal for: relaxation, water sports
- Type: light and fine sand, Caribbean sea
7 - Kalo Livadi, Ano Mera
This beach is 2 km from the village of Ano Mera and about ten from Mykonos Town, it is a beach of fine golden sand on the south-east coast.
Appreciated for excellent services, although not at modest prices, and the transparent and shallow emerald waters, it is very popular with Greek tourists, families with children but also among those who practice windsurfing.
In the center of the bay is the Kalafakiona rock formation, known for catching lobsters.
The beach is very long, wide and spectacular, and equipped with bars and restaurants.
- Where it is: south-east coast, 2 km from Ano Mera. With your own vehicle, from the capital, take Epar.Od. Mikonou-Ano Merias (20 minutes). Alternatively, bus line n. 2 from Porto Vecchio (€ 1,00 - € 2,50) - Get directions
- Ideal for: relaxation, surfing
- Type: fine golden sand, turquoise sea
8 - Ftelia, Panormos
Located at the end of the wide cove of Panormos, in the center of the northern coast of Mykonos, this beach it is a real gem for surfers. When the Meltemi blows, surfers all find themselves here!
It is a long and not equipped beach with shallow water: if there is no wind it is also perfect for children.
Usually uncrowded and rather quiet, this beach of sand and rocks, is also famous for the Neolithic site: here, in fact, the tomb of the ancient hero of the Iliad Ajax of Oileo seems to lie.
To eat, you can choose between Ftelia (looking at the sea on the left) or Farma (right), a shabby chic place where in the evening there are often quite famous DJs.
- Where it is: north coast. With your own vehicle, from the capital, take Epar.Od. Mikonou-Ano Merias (15 minutes). Alternatively, bus line n. 2 from Porto Vecchio (€ 1,00 - € 2,50) - Get directions
- Ideal for: surf
- Type: sand and rocks
9 - Agrari, south of Mykonos Town
Mixed sand and pebble beach, turquoise sea, wild nature. These are the ingredients that characterize this beach, on the southern coast of Mykonos, about ten kilometers from the capital.
It is a very large beach, with a small church right on the sand and with a part of the free beach and another occupied by the sun beds and umbrellas of two beach clubs.
A destination appreciated by lovers of tranquility and unspoiled landscapes. Frequented by gays and nudists, especially in the eastern end.
- Where it is: south coast, 10 Km south from Mykonos Town. With your own vehicle, from the capital, take Epar.Od. Mikonou (21 minutes). Alternatively, bus line n. 1 from Fabrika Square (€ 1,00 - € 2,50) - Get directions
- Ideal for: relaxation, nudism
- Type: sand and pebbles
10 - Paraga, Mykonos Town
This beach, south of Mykonos town, it is one of the picturesque beaches remained accessible to the general public. The fine white sand and rocks in the sea create a natural setting for diving.
They also attract the attention of tourists the small pools of calm and turquoise water with shallow and sloping bottoms.
A favorite pastime for young people is climbing the rocks to jump into the sea.
While not one of the most popular beaches, it is well organized and offers a wide choice of restaurants and bars.
Also, from here you can enjoy a marvellous view: it is possible to see Naxos, Paros and ancient Delos. Every evening, at sunset, a spectacular scenography is created. Here, too, nudism is quite common.
- Where it is: south coast, 10 minutes walk from Platys Gialòs. With your own vehicle, from the capital, take Epar.Od. Mikonou (16 minutes). Alternatively, bus line n. 1 from Fabrika Square (€ 1,00 - € 2,50) - Get directions
- Ideal for: relaxation, diving
- Type: sand and rocks
Haven't booked yet? Plan your trip to Mykonos: flights, hotels and tours
Mykonos, the most famous island of the Cyclades, is the island of fun at all costs, but also offers attractions to enjoy a holiday of pure relaxation.
It is among the most expensive Greek islands; today, however, thanks to low cost flights, it is an island for everyone. Once you have landed at Mykonos Airport (JMK) the most comfortable and fastest way to reach your destination is by taxi (€ 29,00). Alternatively, you can land in Athens, take the bus to Piraeus (€ 1,00) and embark for Mykonos (catamaran or ferry). The journey varies between 3 and 5 hours (€ 15,00- € 30,00). Opt for the low season (ie mid-seasons) to save a little more on the cost of the trip.
Housing is quite expensive. Each area has its own characteristics to meet different holiday needs. Mykonos Town is the best served area with more accommodations, Ornos and Platys Gialòs are quiet areas perfect for families, while Paradise Beach is home to fun. Agios Sostis village offers facilities at moderate prices.
To move the ideal is to rent a scooter; however there are taxis and a rather cheap bus service.
- starting from € 55,00 -
- Hotel and b & b starting from € 150,00 per room -