Table Mountain National Park is a 'very large area of Cape Town which includes several attractions. It starts from Signal Hill in the center of the city and extends to the furthest tip of the Cape Peninsula, bordered by the Cape Point lighthouse. It can be said that its vastness is about 60 km and that it includes ideally three sections, plus a marine protected area. This large park is mostly characterized by landscape and naturalistic attractions, even if interspersed with numerous civilized urban areas.
Here is a driving on the Table Mountain National Park, South Africa: where is it, when to go and what to see.
- Where it is
- When to go? Info on climate and best time
- What to bring: recommended clothing and equipment
- 10 things to see: animals and places of interest
- Excursions and guided tours in Table Mountain National Park
- How much does it cost to visit Table Mountain? Prices, offers and advice
- User questions and comments
Where it is
Table Mountain National Park is located in South Africa, in the city of Cape Town and all along the Cape Peninsula.
How to reach us
- From the main European capitals: direct flights are possible from some European capitals. Brith Airways flies direct from London Heathrow, takes 11 hours
How to get to Table Mountain
From Cape Town Airport, take the MyCiti bus which takes you to the city center in 20 minutes. The cost is 35 ZAR (€ 1,70) and the card must be purchased before boarding. Get off at the Lower Tafelberg Road stop and from there take the free shuttle, which takes you to the park entrance in a few minutes. At this point, you can decide whether to go up with the comfortable cable car in a couple of minutes or to make the route on foot, but very tiring and recommended only for experts. The cableway has a cost of 360 ZAR a / r (€ 18,00). All the other attractions of the park can also be reached with connections from the center but, especially for the Cape Peninsula, it can be advisable and preferable to rent a car, in order to appreciate the view.
When to go? Info on climate and best time
- Weather: the seasons are reversed compared to ours. The climate is mild and temperate all year round. Average temperatures are quite high and winters are never very cold.
- Best time: from November to February, as temperatures record an average of 25 ° and rainy days are really negligible.
- Period to avoid: it is not recommended to go to the park from June to August, given the low temperatures and the risk of encountering numerous rainy days, which make access to some attractions of the site impractical, such as Table Mountain.
- Advice: some attractions are very exposed to the elements, in any season of the year, especially Table Mountain and the Cape of Good Hope. For this reason, our advice is to find out about the climatic conditions before reaching them.
What to bring: recommended clothing and equipment
- Clothing: windproof jacket, hiking boots, hat, scarf
- Equipment: no special equipment, but preferably comfortable clothing
10 things to see: animals and places of interest
- Table Mountain: the flat mountain that gives the park its name and which represents one of the 7 Wonders of the Natural World. It is accessed by a gondola lift.
- Signal Hill: it is the symbolic hill of Cape Town, the one that is reproduced on images and brochures. It can be accessed via various paths.
- Twelve Apostles: a series of 17 peaks overlooking Camps Bay, one of Cape Town's residential neighborhoods, with palm trees and surfers.
- Hout Bay: it is a place less than 15 kilometers from Cape Town and is famous above all for its Seal Island, which is an islet where hundreds of seals gather.
- Boulders beach: along the road to the Cape Peninsula, this attraction cannot be missed as it hosts a colony of penguins in absolute freedom.
- Cape of Good Hope: site of historical importance since in the past, many explorers as well as Vasco de Gama, set themselves the goal of doubling it, to reach the Indies.
- Cape Point: a few steps from the Cape of Good Hope, is the lighthouse that illuminates the Peninsula. It can be reached on foot with a walk of half an hour or with the funicular. The view is unmissable.
- Chapman's Peak Drive: a paid panoramic road that connects the city of Cape Town with the extreme Cape Peninsula. Traveling by car allows you to skirt the ocean and enjoy a magnificent view.
- Rhodes Memorial: a monument at the foot of Devil's Peak and built in honor of Cecil John Rhodes, a very important figure in the history of southern Africa.
- Noordhoek beach: you meet it along Chapman's Peak Drive and it is a long sandy beach, also very popular for horseback riding, a stone's throw from the ocean waves.
Excursions and guided tours in Table Mountain National Park
How much does it cost to visit Table Mountain? Prices, offers and advice
The cost of living in South Africa and in Cape Town specifically, the city where the park is located is very cheap: the attractions cost a few euros, as well as having dinner at the restaurant, the average cost of which is for a dinner based on local meat both based on fish, can be 350 ZAR (€ 17,00 approximately). Accommodation facilities also start at a low figure per room per night.
- Hotel and b & b starting from € 19,00 per room -
- starting from € 238,00 -
- Return flight + 7 days / 6 nights from € 790,00 per person -
Travel informed: useful information on South Africa
- Inhabitants: 55 million
- Capital: Pretoria / Cape Town / Bloemfontain
- Languages: English
- Local currency: Rand (€ 1,00 = 20 ZAR)
- Weather: mild climate, with average temperatures of 22 °
- vaccinations: No vaccination required. Vaccination against yellow fever only if you come from (or transit) from countries where the disease is endemic.
- Entry requirements: Passport with residual validity of 6 months; free visa to be requested at the airport valid for 90 days
- Travel / health insurance: recommended.
Most Interesting Articles
- top 10 mafias in the world the richest and most powerful criminal organizations
- the 15 biggest and most beautiful zoos in the world official ranking
- ranking of the most rude countries in the world
- top 10 biggest and most beautiful zoos in europe official ranking
- maldives islands where they are when to go and what to see