Sperlonga is a town in the province of Latina, located in southern Lazio. It literally is a white town on the sea, the small streets are whitewashed, and so are the streets, stairs and houses of the town. The Sperlonga sea has nothing to envy to others, the water is particularly clear and clean and the beach is particularly enjoyable, not surprisingly it is awarded the Blue Flag.
Although it is a seaside and seaside destination, Sperlonga is beautiful even in winter because of its milk-colored city center, it has also been recognized among the most beautiful villages in Italy. To say Sperlonga means Riviera d'Ulysses, deserves to be visited in every corner, is one of the many pearls we have in Italy.
Here is a guide on what to see, where to eat and what to do in the evening in Sperlonga!
- 10 things to see in Sperlonga in a weekend
- What to see in Sperlonga in one day: recommended itinerary
- Where to eat in Sperlonga: the best restaurants
- What to do in the evening: the nightlife areas and the best clubs in Sperlonga
- Plan your stay in Sperlonga: info and useful tips
- User questions and comments
10 things to see in Sperlonga in a weekend
1 - Torre Truglia
The southern Lazio coast is often characterized by the presence of sighting towers built to defend against attacks by sea, especially those of pirates, and communicated with each other through smoke signals.
One of these is the Torre Truglia, which was built in 1532 on the top of the promontory on which the village of Sperlonga stands. After the destruction by the pirates of the corsair Kaireddin Barbarossa it was rebuilt in 1611 but again destroyed by the Turks in 1623. From this point of the town you can admire the whole coast of Sperlonga, it is so suggestive that today on the terrace of the tower even civil unions, you will feel like you are inside a postcard. Unfortunately the tower is often closed, and to visit it you should contact the property directly.
- from Via Roma can be reached on foot in 10 minutes - Get directions
- the terrace is always accessible
2 - Grotto of Tiberius
This is the largest of the sea caves and ravines that make up the coast rock of Sperlonga. It can be seen walking along the eastern side of the Riviera di Levante. Ancient sources identified it with the villa of Emperor Tiberius, and always thanks to the sources we go back to an episode in which Tiberius, during a banquet held inside the cave, was saved from the collapse of some rocks by his friend and confidant Seiano . But the story is also linked in a certain way to Ulysses, in fact some of the objects that came to light during the excavations recall the legend of the mythical king of Ithaca made immortal by Homer through the Odyssey.
Today, thanks to these discoveries, the site is the renowned National Archaeological Museum of Sperlonga, an important symbol of the Ulysses Riviera.
- it can be reached by car in 10 minutes from the center of Sperlonga along Via Flacca / SR213 - Get directions
- every day, the museum 8: 30-19: 30 the archaeological area 8: 30-16: 00 (winter time) and 8: 30-19: 00 (summer time)
- € 5,00 full, € 2,00 reduced
3 - The historic center
A walk inside the historic center of the town is super recommended. It is considered one of the most beautiful villages in Italy, and walking through its milk-white alleys and admiring the streets, stairs and houses of the town, all whitewashed, you will be fascinated. Its urban structure is typically medieval, the houses are wrapped around the promontory becoming one with the rock and almost acting as a defensive barrier.
The village thus arose on the spur of San Magno, with narrow alleys and long stairways which in this way made raids from the sea more uncomfortable.
- walking down from Via Roma, in 5 minutes you will come across the historic center - Get directions
- always accessible
4 - Parish of Santa Maria Assunta in Cielo
The church, recently built, is dedicated to Santa Maria Assunta in Cielo and has a style moderno. It has a pyramidal shape and stands in the central square, or Piazza Europa, inside it is very large and bright. All citizens go to this church for the main ceremonies and liturgical celebrations, it is in fact the only one in the town, and also to invoke the two patrons San Leone Magno and San Rocco. In particular, the fishermen turn to San Leone to free them from storms and the farmers to have an abundant harvest, while the tour operators to ensure that summer activities are productive.
- from Via Roma it can be reached in less than 5 minutes on foot - Get directions
- every day 10: 30-18: 30
5 - The port
It's a panoramic point over the country, and has no equal. Some sections of the docks are reserved for professional fishermen, Coast Guard boats and the mooring of boats in transit. The piers and floating piers are equipped with turrets for the distribution of electricity, drinking water and washing water for the boats that stop.
The marina is located in the immediate vicinity of the historic center, nestled between the wonderful beaches of the coast. Worth a stop even just to admire the breathtaking view between boats, crystal clear water and the promontory on which the white walls of the town stand out.
- coming down from Via Roma it can be reached on foot in 10 minutes - Get directions
- always accessible
6 - Beach of the Source
For those who reach Sperlonga from Rome, along the way, they will encounter an immense strip of sand populated by bathing establishments and free beaches. One of the most popular is the beach of the source, the one that is the most close to the historic center, very comfortable to be free and with the sand permanently wet by the water of the nearby spring and therefore fresh even in the hottest hours. The name is given by the presence of a source of fresh water gushing on the beach.
- can be reached on foot in less than ten minutes from Via Roma - Get directions
- always accessible
7 - Beach of the Corner
This beach is located just before the Grotta di Tiberio, it is a wonderful place that you absolutely must visit. Here too thecrystal clear water and spotless beach they will not disappoint you, we remind you that the seaside resort of Sperlonga has been recognized with the Blue Flag, precisely for the quality of the water, for the safety services and the care of the environment. Once you get here, all that remains is to swim in total safety and in the vicinity of the cave which appears to be the ancient home of the Emperor Tiberius.
- it can be reached by car in less than 10 minutes from the center of Sperlonga along Via Flacca / SR213 - Get directions
- always accessible
8 - Cave of the Dolls
It is characterized by numerous rock formations of stalactites and stalagmites with bizarre shapes that recall the memory of dolls. IS' reachable only by sea. During the summer it is a destination for boat trips, during which there are two stops where you can take a dip in these transparent waters and capable of offering enchanting scenery. For those who love marine fauna it will also be possible to snorkel. The departure of the excursion on a characteristic gozzo takes place at the port of Gaeta and lasts 1 hour and a half.
- the boat excursion starts from Gaeta, which you can reach by car in about 30 minutes along Via Flacca / SR213 - Get directions
- departure of excursions 9:00, 10:30, 12:00
- € 15,00
9 - Gaeta
With its beautiful beaches it has been awarded with the Blue Flag. It is about 17 km from Sperlonga, and with some areas of particular historical and cultural interest, such as the Monte Orlando, is part of the Riviera di Ulisse Regional Park. Gaeta is known as the city of a hundred churches and is located right on the border between Lazio and Campania, it is not very big, it can also be visited in one day.
You can linger in its historic center, starting from Porta Carlo III and going down to the cathedral and the castle, you will enter a set of narrow streets and alleys characterized by colors and sceneries from other eras. Inside Gaeta Vecchia there are many clubs and restaurants where you can taste typical dishes of southern Lazio, it is also a limited traffic area, ideal for being able to move around easily.
- it can be reached by car in about 30 minutes along Via Flacca / SR213 - Get directions
- always accessible
10 - Terracina
It is a town 20 km from Sperlonga, if you have the necessary time and want to move from the town this is a must-do stop.
This locality is divided into Terracina Bassa, where you will find a promenade very lively in summer with kiosks and bathing establishments, e Terracina alta, with its ancient medieval walls, the remains of a Roman temple, a Roman forum alongside which the ancient Appian Way runs.
The beautiful promenade of this town in southern Lazio is crossed by a long cycle path refreshed by the shade of the palm trees, ideal for taking a walk in complete relaxation.
- it can be reached by car in 20 minutes along Via Flacca / SR213 - Get directions
- always accessible
What to see in Sperlonga in one day: recommended itinerary
Before starting, have breakfast at the Pasticceria Gelateria Fiorelli, located at the entrance to Via Roma. Walk towards the Parish of Santa Maria Assunta in Cielo, and continuing to go down for Corso S. Leone, you will arrive in the beautiful Old Town characterized by its narrow streets and milky white houses. From Via Torre Truglia you arrive on panoramic terrace of the Tower where you can admire a view that will make you feel inside a postcard.
For lunch, stop at Il Porticciolo Ristorante, and in the afternoon move by car to Grotto of Tiberius, ancient residence of the emperor and today seat of the National Archaeological Museum of Sperlonga, an important symbol of the Riviera d'Ulisse. It is also time for a nice swim in the sea, and then stop by corner beach, at sunset reach the beach of the source, one of the most beautiful and popular.
Dine at Tramonto Sperlonga, a restaurant located on the seafront where you can eat fresh fish dishes.
One day itinerary at a glance
- Breakfast at the Fiorelli Gelato Pastry Shop
- Parish of Santa Maria Assunta in Cielo - every day 10: 30-18: 30
- Sperlonga historic center
- Truglia Tower
- Lunch at Il Porticciolo Restaurant
- Grotta di Tiberio - the museum 8: 30-19: 30 the archaeological area 8: 30-16: 00 (winter time) and 8: 30-19: 00 (summer time) - € 5,00 full price, € 2,00, reduced
- Corner beach
- Sorgente Beach
- Dinner at Tramonto Sperlonga
Where to eat in Sperlonga: the best restaurants
- The Lantern: menu with fish dishes and homemade desserts served in a room with large windows overlooking the sea and with a terrace. Average price per person: € 40,00 Address and contacts: Via Cristoforo Colombo, 65 (Get directions) / tel: 0771 548083
- Sperlonga sunset: pizzas and fish dishes in a room with large windows and a terrace overlooking the sea. Average price per person: € 35,00 Address and contacts: Via Cristoforo Colombo, 201 (Get directions) / tel: 0771 549597
- Tropical Restaurant Pizzeria: ideal setting for aperitifs, and with seafood specialties and wood-fired pizza in a room with eighties-style furnishings. Average price per person: € 25,00 Address and contacts: Via Cristoforo Colombo, 93 (Get directions) / tel: 0771 549621
- The Arches: typical Mediterranean dishes in a restaurant with a romantic atmosphere with stone arches and tables in the square in front. Average price per person: € 40,00 Address and contacts: Via Ottaviano, 17 (Get directions) / tel: 0771 548300
What to do in the evening: the nightlife areas and the best clubs in Sperlonga
Despite the large influx of tourists, especially in summer, the nightlife is not very developed, however, you can find some solutions to spend nice evenings in company bars and clubs open until late in the evening. The main popular places where you can have an aperitif are located on the beaches.
We recommend three pubs where you can spend the evening after spending the day exploring Sperlonga.
The best pubs, clubs and discos
- The Corner Lounge Bar: annexed to the hamburgeria restaurant is the room used as a lounge bar where happy hours are organized with lots of music and entertainment / Address: Via dell'Angolo (Get directions)
- MarVino: one of the most characteristic places, in an alley of the historic center; it is quiet and suitable for those who want to taste a cocktail in a bar with a relaxing atmosphere / Address: Via Giosa, 2 (Get directions)
- Other Sperlonga: between a cocktail and a drink you can also taste local specialties, in a modern restaurant with sea view / Address: Via Cristoforo Colombo, 58 (Get directions)
Plan your stay in Sperlonga: info and useful tips
- it can be reached by car from Latina in an hour along the SS7 / Via Appia. From the south, however, it is just under 2 hours from Naples, always taking the SS7 after having traveled the A1 for a while
- Getting around: comfortably on foot, especially in the historic center. If, on the other hand, you want to visit some neighboring towns, it is essential to have a car to reach them
- Where to park: the most convenient car parks are those adjacent to the sea, in summer they are all paid. Close to the free beach it is ideal so you can then reach the center on foot (€ 10,00 daily rate) - Get directions
- Hotel and b & b starting from € 50,00 per room -
- What to see in the surroundings: among the most popular neighboring villages that deserve a visit we recommend: Gaeta (16 km), Terracina (19 km), Formia (19 km), Itri (20 km), Fondi (13 km)