Zimbabwe is a country in Southern Africa, which boasts a unique and practically intact natural paradise, where the sighting of animals is practically guaranteed. Let's see together which are the most recommended destinations.
- Travel informed: useful information
- When to go: climate and best time
- Victoria Falls excursion
- moremi game reserve
- Kruger National Park
- Chobe Park and Okavango Delta
- Hwange National Park and Seaside in Mauritius
- What to wear and what to pack
- User questions and comments
Travel informed: useful information
- Inhabitants: 16,15 million
- Capital: Harare
- Languages: English, shona, tswana, xhosa, venda, chewa, tsonga, south sotho, north ndebele
- Local currency: Zimbabwean dollar (€ 1,00 = $ 373,47)
- Weather: tropical
- vaccinations: Yellow fever vaccination certificate is required for travelers from infected areas. Vaccinations recommended but not compulsory are: diphtheria and tetanus; measles; typhoid fever; hepatitis A; hepatitis B; anger
- Entry requirements: travel documents valid for at least six months, and means to return home: own means of transport or return ticket. Italian citizens can obtain a visa directly at the border of entry. Single and multiple visas can also be applied for at the Zimbabwean Embassies. Multiple visas must be requested in advance. The costs are: Single entry: US $ 30 / € 50,00, Double entry: US $ 45 / € 62,00, Multiple entry: US $ 55 / € 77,00
- Travel / health insurance: recommended.
When to go: climate and best time
Zimbabwe has a tropical climate with a dry and cool season from April to October and a more humid and warm season from November to March. The wettest month is January with 16 rainy days, while the hottest month is October, during which temperatures can reach up to 30 ° C. The months of June and July can be particularly cold at night, with temperatures in the mountains approaching freezing.
In Zimbabwe, daily temperatures range from 20 ° C in June to 30 ° C in October, while at low altitudes it can even reach 40 ° C. Night temperatures hover around 5 ° C in June and 16 ° C in December. During the months between December and February, the rains are abundant and intense but of short duration: the roads, however, become impassable. From March the vegetation begins to bloom, thanks to the rainfall that has just passed, and it is possible to start sighting the first animals, the temperatures start to become bearable. In June, there is no rainfall, temperatures drop and the nights turn cold. In September, the scorching heat returns, the water begins to run low and the savannah becomes the typical landscape.
- Best time: April - May, when temperatures are more acceptable and rainfall is rare. For a safari, the months from June to October are also good, although bearing in mind that the former has low temperatures at night, while towards the end of September - beginning of October the heat is torrid. As for the sighting of animals, it is good from April to August, as they move in search of waterways.
- Period to avoid: from December to February. In this period the rains begin, which are abundant even if of short duration, and last until February. The heat becomes muggy, the parks and reserves fill up with water.
1 - Excursion to the Victoria Falls
Victoria Falls or Victoria Falls are located along the Zambezi River, and mark the border between Zambia and Zimbabwe. The front of the falls is more than a kilometer and a half long, while their average height is 128 meters. Their peculiarity is due to the deep and narrow gorge, which allows you to admire the entire front of the waterfall from the other side.
Victoria Falls are considered the most adrenaline-pumping destination in Africa. Here it is possible to carry out the most diverse activities, ranging from game drives on 4x4 or boats, both on the banks of the Chobe River where the possibility of seeing animals is very high, to rafting on the Zambezi, the walk with lions, walk on elephants, Bungee Jumping and the Zip Line.
The icing on the cake, the possibility of taking a helicopter ride, to admire the view of the Zambezi River and waterfalls from above. For lovers of relaxation, a walk through the craft markets is recommended.
- Best time: from June to mid-August, when the climate is mild and dry. From mid-August to mid-November the season is still dry, but the heat becomes intense. The period of high tides runs from February to July, with a peak between March and April: in these months the Zambezi rises by almost a meter
- Recommended duration: 3-5 days
- Average price: starting from € 1.860,00
- Recommended excursions: Victoria Falls: Zambezi River Sunset Cruise from € 35,00 - Victoria Falls: Zambezi River Rafting from € 125,00 - Victoria Falls: Scenic Helicopter Flight from € 130,00 - Victoria Falls: Night Game Drive and Dinner 3 courses from € 180,00
2 - Moremi Game Reserve
The Moremi Game Reserve is located east of the Okavango Delta, and is one of Africa's most important attractions.
Famous for the remarkable abundance of fauna, including herds of buffaloes, antelopes, hyenas, lions and wild dogs, it is one of the most exclusive destinations for lovers of photographic safaris, also because the characteristic ebony boats, which are giving way to fiberglass ones, can be visited either on foot or aboard a 4x4 or in mokoro, in order to preserve the timber.
In November, when the first rains begin to fall, we enter the "green season", and the Moremi Game Reserve can host up to 500 species of birds.
- Best time: July October, during the dry season, when the animals move away from the permanent water sources.
- Recommended duration: 6 days
- Average price: starting from € 2.000,00
3 - Kruger National Park
Kruger National Park is located in the northeastern part of South Africa, bordering Zimbabwe, and is one of the largest wildlife reserves in the country. Hundreds of mammals live here, including the Big Five (lions, leopards, rhinos, elephants and buffaloes), several species of birds, 120 species of reptiles, including about 5.000 crocodiles, many snakes, the dangerous black mamba included and over 500 different breeds of birds. Such and so much density and variety of fauna is given by the landscape, which it includes. Mountains, shrubland plains and tropical forests
- Best time: May-October, when the climate is dry, the vegetation is less luxuriant, and it is easier to spot animals
- Recommended duration: 4 days
- Average price: starting from € 1.990,00
- Safari recommended: 3-day safari to discover the Kruger National Park from € 590,00
4 - Chobe Park and Okavango Delta
Chobe National Park was founded in 1967, has an area of 10.689 sq km and is located in northwestern Botswana, on the border with Zimbabwe, near the city of Kasane. Chobe is the most famous park in Botswana, and one of the best known in all of Africa, given the variety and abundance of both vegetation and fauna. The park can be divided into four parts, depending on the habitat that distinguishes it:
the Serondela area, characterized by lush plains, where elephants and buffaloes gather;
the area of the Savuti pond, what remains of a prehistoric lake, characterized by savannas and grasslands, where there are lions, warthogs, impalas, zebras, elephants etc ...;
the Linyanti pond, in the north-western part of the park, where river vegetation grows and various lagoons are formed, which attract mainly hippos, crocodiles, jackals, antelopes and many others, as well as many birds;
the area between Linyanti and Savuti, mainly tree-lined.
The park is in the immediate vicinity of the Okavango Delta: a labyrinth of canals and rivers, which can be traveled both in 4x4 and in the traditional canoe, called mokoro. Here too it is possible to spot a good number of animals, and many birds. In addition, if the conditions allow it, among the activities that take place in the area there is that of the night safari or on foot.
- Best time: from May to August, when the sky is clear, the climate is dry and the heat is "bearable". Furthermore, during this period it is easier to spot the animals, which gather around the water holes.
- Recommended duration: 10 days
- Average price: starting from € 5.360,00
- Recommended excursion: From Victoria Falls: Chobe Park full-day tour from € 1
5 - Hwange National Park and Mare in Mauritius
Hwange National Park is located in the western corner of the country, bordering Botswana. Here too there is a great variety of landscapes, which include both sandy and wooded areas, home to numerous animals including: 30.000 elephants, 15.000 buffaloes, giraffes, zebras, antelopes, and rhinos, both white and black, have also been reintroduced.
Among the most common predators we have lions, leopads and cheetahs, but also hyenas, wild dogs and servals. Furthermore, the different environments of the park are animated by the presence of more than 400 species of colorful birds.
Hawange National Park is a strategic point for travel, given its proximity to two major attractions, both of which can be easily reached: Victoria Falls and Mauritius, with its sea and dream coastline.
- Best time: from May to October, during the dry season
- Recommended duration: 16
- Average price: starting from € 4.270,00
What to wear and what to pack
Zimbabwe is subject to sudden changes in temperature, so it is good to balance light clothing with warmer ones in your suitcase. In the country there is a great shortage of everything, so it is good to have everything at hand.
- Recommended clothing: in winter, i.e. in the period from June to August, light clothes for the day, but also sweaters or a jacket and hat for the evening. In summer, which falls in the months from December to February, light clothes and a jacket for the evening.
- Useful accessories: Light raincoat, umbrella, mosquito repellent, Khaki or Beige clothes for safaris, bright colors are prohibited.
Most Interesting Articles
- maldives islands where they are when to go and what to see
- ranking of the most rude countries in the world
- top 10 mafias in the world the richest and most powerful criminal organizations
- the 15 biggest and most beautiful zoos in the world official ranking
- top 10 biggest and most beautiful zoos in europe official ranking