Congo, with its rainforests that contemplate magnificent biodiversity, chimpanzees, gorillas, buffaloes and the many other animals that populate it, is a favorite destination for unforgettable tours. The Safari in Congo it allows you to explore dense jungles, navigate rivers, observe incredible landscapes and pristine wildlife. Here is all the useful information to better organize a Safari in Congo.
- Travel informed: useful information
- When to go: climate and best time
- Odzala National Park
- Virunga National Park
- Discovery of Nyiragongo Volcano and Virunga gorillas
- What to wear and what to pack
- User questions and comments
Travel informed: useful information
- Inhabitants: 78,74 million
- Capital: Brazzaville
- Languages: French official language
- Local currency: Congolese franc CDF (€ 1,00 = 1.868,03CDF)
- Weather: equatorial climate in the north with average maximum temperatures of 29-30 ° C and minimum temperatures of 21 ° C all year round. In the center-south it is tropical, with maximum averages from June to September of 26 degrees, minimums of 19 and in the remaining months the minimums are around 24 degrees and the maximums oscillate between 29 - 30 ° C
- vaccinations: vaccination against yellow fever is mandatory. Suggested vaccinations: typhoid fever, diphtheria, tetanus, poliomyelitis, hepatitis A and B. Anti-malaria treatment strongly recommended
- Entry requirements: passport required, with residual validity of at least six months at the time of departure, round trip ticket, mandatory visa, accommodation certificate signed by any inviting resident in Congo or a hotel reservation
- Travel / health insurance: recommended.
When to go: climate and best time
In general Congo's climate is hot and humid all year round, there is no real dry season, except in the central south from May to October (with some distinctions based on the areas). In general, the best time to visit the Republic of the Congo is from June to September, as less hot and drier (except in the north) and the animals of the savannah are easily sighted.
- Weather: equatorial in the north (hot and humid all year round - min 21 ° max 30 °), tropical in the south center (hot and humid with a dry season - min 19 ° max 30 °). In the north (Ouésso, Impfondo) there is no dry season, the relatively least rainy periods are from December to February and from June to August. In the south center (Point Noire, Highland Region, Brazzaville) there is a dry season that runs from June to August in the center, from June to September in the south and on the coast from mid-May to mid-October. The worst months are April and November.
- Best time: June to August is the driest and least hot period. Furthermore, animals are sighted more easily.
- Period to avoid: from October to December is the rainiest season almost everywhere, then from March to April.
1 - Odzala National Park
The Odzala National Park Safari, one of the oldest and most biodiverse parks, is perfect for watching lowland gorillas residents. You can walk through dense forests and, in addition to gorillas, you can meet other wild animals such as elephants, buffaloes and numerous species of primates.
In addition to day and night safaris, you can take boat or kayak tours along the Lekoli River: it is the best way to observe elephants and buffaloes that are usually on the shore.
You stay in fields in the heart of the rainforest, so it is a truly wild experience! It is very adventurous and requires adaptationas well as good physical strength especially for long walks in the forests. Avoid pointing flashes at gorillas, direct contact and stay at a distance of at least 5-7 meters. Put on a mask and don't sneeze at them, as they risk contagion quickly.
- Best time: all the year
- Recommended duration: 6 days
- Average price: starting from € 3.200,00
2 - Virunga National Park
The Safari in the Virunga National Park is known for the presence of mountain gorillasbut there are also forest elephants, giraffes, buffaloes, chimpanzees and bird species. The forest is full of flowers and precious woods such as teak, ebony and iroko.
Inside the Virunga Park also hippos can be seen bathing in Lake Eduardo. It is possible to go hiking on the Virunga mountains, made up of eight volcanic cones, of which the Nyiragongo and Nyamulagira are still active.
Many days are dedicated to trekking in search of gorillas, hiking in the forest and on the slopes of the volcano and are quite demanding: they last many hours and usually take place on steep and slippery paths. Use suitable shoes and only do this kind of safari if you have an adventurous spirit and adapt easily. You need good physical stamina!
The peculiarity of the safari in the Virunga National Park is that you will have the opportunity to get close to the gorillas a few meters away and spend time with them (no more than an hour). In addition, you will enjoy beautiful scenery and the sight of different animal species.
- Best time: from June to August
- Recommended duration: 9 days
- Average price: starting from € 3.400,00
3 - Discovery of Nyiragongo Volcano and Virunga gorillas
This safari plans to climb Nyragongo Volcano, an impressive mountain, in which there is the largest lava lake in the world, the approach to mountain gorillas and ahike in the forest in the Virunga Mountains, for photographing chimpanzees and other primates. The Safari includes game drives and exploration of the coast by kayak.
The environments that you visit are a bit extreme, you enter nature and move away from comforts, often sleeping in tents, therefore adaptation is needed. Hiking is not particularly difficult, but long: a minimum of training is needed. Few trips are so beautiful, exciting and allow you to see wild nature.
- Best time: from June to August
- Recommended duration: 10 days
- Average price: starting from € 3.600,00
What to wear and what to pack
Pack breathable, comfortable and light clothes all year round; a sweatshirt or jacket for the evening. Don't forget an umbrella or k-way in the rainy season. From June to September, if you are traveling to southern Congo or the coast, add a sweatshirt and light jacket.
Sunscreen, insect repellent, first aid kit must not be missing.
- Recommended clothing: comfortable, light and loose clothing. For gorilla trekking make sure you have long sleeved pants and shirts, long leggings or socks, hiking shoes.
- Useful accessories: hat, camera, binoculars, mask.
Most Interesting Articles
- maldives islands where they are when to go and what to see
- ranking of the most rude countries in the world
- top 10 mafias in the world the richest and most powerful criminal organizations
- the 15 biggest and most beautiful zoos in the world official ranking
- top 10 biggest and most beautiful zoos in europe official ranking